here it is! G50 Qx4 steering wheel swap + pics!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
heywier427
Car: 91 Q45

it is def. smaller than the original wheel. but im an a$$ and didnt measure it...

the red arrow is the line up pin for the wire that connects to the air bag. in a normal situation it should line up with the blue line. not really sure what its going to do. possibly it needs to be lined up when i reset the airbag codes? because in normal driving conditions no one ever lines up there steering wheel when they turn off the car. Q45 tech you can deff chime in here as im not to up to date on airbags.also the large harness that all the wires stick out from needs to go out the sqaure hole, another reason the pin did not line up.

this is conferming the connections are the same. i didnt plug it in all the way because i havent changed out the old airbag module. i have to do that cause the bag was deployed. if your taking out a good bag and putting in this one you will not need to touch the module.

this is the bracket i made to hold on the cruise control switches. i believe its the original bracket just bent up to fit.

i had to use a dremel and cut the switch down to fit the contour of the new wheel.

and thats that.

Modified by heywier427 at 5:49 AM 4/23/2007
Modified by heywier427 at 5:53 AM 4/23/2007

heywier427

and here are just some pics.

this is my money sucker!

lino this ones for you

this is the dual exhaust i made for my impul kit

this is how you make a pos comfortable

switchin things around

another money pit!

do you guys want to see the progress on my angel eyes???

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Interesting, I guess.

Not at all sure what has been achieved. Different shade of lipstick?

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Looks good. Now get yourself some vinyl dye, and paint that airbag black!

I always hated the brown steering wheels in the tan interior cars!

I really like the way you moved the A/C controls to make room for the sound system. I have been thinking about lowering the A/C controls, and puting the radio on the top, so a navigation system would be closer to eye level. Once I set the A/C, I usually leave it alone. I am fiddling with the radio much more than the A/C.

Alos, great work on the bumper! I guess you are going to re-locate the spare tire well, os you can have room for duals. It would be easy. If you measured and cut propoerly, you could just cut a square hole, flip the well 180 degrees, and weld it back in. You could also cut the depth about 4" and get rid of the under floor compatments. Another idea, is to eliminate the spare tire well completely, and put runflats on the car.

heywier427

hi my names brian i like flowers and butterflys and long walks on the beach...and computers...oh how i love computers muh muh muh...im the most miserable self centered stay in my box kinda guy. my favorate shade of lipstick is gloss straight out of a mans...

wait let me not ruin this for every one

TBrack
Car: none

post up them headlights! I'm sure those early g50 guys wanna see it too!

heywier427

ah, its no where near done. i dont want to hear the criticism just yet.

but... if you look at the picture of my house...

Jesda

I tried moving my climate control unit down in 2003. Never finished it and put it back. How did you get the wires to go down that far and what did you use to keep the CCU mounted in that hollow hole?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Nice work! How is the diameter of the part you hold? Is a little bigger round than the stock wheel is?

I think itd be a lot better if the wood on the steering wheel matched the wood grain on your dash and the airbag matched as well.

heywier427

ive already filled the spare tire well with a speaker enclosure. as far as the exhaust, ive cut off the muffler and im just going to do a straight pipe with duel caddy eldorado oval tips. if i dont like the sound after a while, ill move or eliminate the cats and puts some mufflers under the car. its gotta be sumthin thin tho. one i put my coilovers on im gonna be slamin!

heywier427

the wires streched down, well i shouldnt say streched but there was enough play to do everything fine.

i made a braket that held in the controls and srewed it to the back side of the trim/ finishing panel.

had to dremel the control panel to fit right and used a pencil and wrapped it with vinyl to fill in the gap between the shifter.

heywier427

the camera really brings out the difference in contrast. its really not that noticeable in regular light.

i will be painting the airbag black with vinyl paint.

the diameter of the wheel is slightly thicker. id prefer thicker, like a jaguar but hey.

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

Ok, ok! You win . You throw 1001 pics all at once ...where to start with the comments and questions!

First, thanks for taking the time considering how busy you are. It's really appreciated.

The steering +cruise controls look great. I know what you mean about the color not being that off. My friend replaced his airbag with one like yours and it's not that bad.

Is your steering wheel from a 2001? Will a 2002 fit? The 2002 is a little different than yours. Here's a pic:
heywier427 wrote:this is my money sucker!
That money sucking whore! I know the feeling all too well .Btw if you get pissed, let me know if you wanna sell that door and left headlight and foglight .
heywier427 wrote:lino this ones for you
Ah.....nice work. This could prove to be very interesting. Keep up the awesome work and I can't wait to see it on the car. I still don't understand how you have the time!
heywier427 wrote:do you guys want to see the progress on my angel eyes???
After all the pics you posted today, you can take your time post those pics....but if you want to post 1 pic as a teaser now, I won't complain

Wood steering wheel, angel eye head lights, Impul, dual exhausts, relocated HVAC, Upgraded stereo, amps, speakers, money pit trucks crazy wire wheels, pos with slighty used Q seats, ..... overload

heywier427

thank you for the kind words.

the 2002 steering wheel will no doubt work, and it is a nicer wheel. i chose the 2000 because of the controls. they are much easier to adapt.

i cant wait to see it all together as well. its been too long.

i valet at night and this sat i got to drive a 90 active just like yours. pearl, perfect brown black interior, and heres the kicker, 63,000 miles!!!

i asked him about the guides and he said he had it done by infiniti shortly after he purchased the car new.

he also said hes got a black 93 t that has over 200 on it as his daily driver.

about the color of the wheel/bag. ill be painting the bag black, its the wood that looks darker, but with tinted windows it all looks the same.

so heres the teaser. ill tell my plans once i get some cash and put it into action

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

heywier427 wrote:i valet at night and this sat i got to drive a 90 active just like yours. pearl, perfect brown black interior, and heres the kicker, 63,000 miles!!!
63K active....I can't believe how man low mileage G50s there are around. How was his supension?
heywier427 wrote:
so heres the teaser. ill tell my plans once i get some cash and put it into action
Looking good! I think your car is going to look real hot when it's done. I'm really liking the direction your project is going.

ILuvNkdChx
Car: Q45t, I30t

Looking good...can't wait to see the headlights done.

lino

Update request

heywier427

slowwwwww.....

winter kicks my a$$. i hate the cold. i dont know how you canadians do it!

i go into hibernation.

ill take pics tonight.

like i said not much done. i cut the hole in the fender and matched the bmw fender as best i could. its coming out good. ive got to figure out how to make the bumper and new fender curves meet. ive got an idea but itll be hard to explain. better to just get my a$$ in gear!

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Did you just use fiberglass on your bumper for the addition of your second exhaust cutout? I'm going to me modding my Z bumper and was looking at urethane body filler but that stuff is expensive. I figured I could get glass to stick if I scuffed the plastic up enough with some 60 or 80 grit...

lino

heywier427 wrote:slowwwwww.....

winter kicks my a$$. i hate the cold. i dont know how you canadians do it!

i go into hibernation.

ill take pics tonight.
Winter does bite! I'm not a fan of the cold either. Last time I washed the car, the water froze on it. I couldn't even dry it so I had to bring it in the garage, close the door, and wait for it to warm up. The Q spends 99% of of the day in the garage. I treat it very well .

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Does anyone know if the pictures are still available?

Does the airbag from the 1994-1996 Q45 fit in the QX4/2001 Q45 steering wheel?

No1Dad
Car: 1990 Q45 Base
1995 Q45A
1988 F150
2016 MKS

Infinitiguy19 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:12 pm
Does anyone know if the pictures are still available?

Does the airbag from the 1994-1996 Q45 fit in the QX4/2001 Q45 steering wheel?
Try the internet archive. Ive had some luck with certain posts. Obviously not every thread is going to be preserved but it works for some. Also had success with Q45.net

Heres an example. I cant see these pictures just using the link:
https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nicof ... pa-13.html

Paste it into the web archive and it all pops up
https://web.archive.org/web/20100729011 ... pa-13.html

Macnalty
Car: 1995 Q 45

I keep thinking the archives are a big hassle but nothing could be further from the truth it is very useful. Thanks for the reminder.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

So the steering wheel is only a direct fit if you don’t have a touring model with a steering angle sensor on the clock spring. If you don’t have a Q45t you can cut a peg off the clock spring and put the steering wheel on.

I have to modify the steering wheel to make it fit because I already own it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”