Help. Would you buy this 370z??

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
Aflores92
Car: C300 soon to be 370z

Hey guys, apologize ahead for the long story but some help is greatly appreciated.
I've been in the market for a 370z and recently came across a 2012 370z clean title with 49k miles 7at with a stillen supercharger for 20k out the door.
Originally I wasn't looking for a supercharged z but ever since I came across this one I've become sort of obsessed. The car also has transmission cooler, oil cooler, upgraded radiator, sway bars, coilovers, stillen exhaust, AP big brake kit, and a few other goodies.

The car is automatic so my main concern would be the transmission. I will not be tracking this car just spirited driving commuting to work and back.

From what I've read I'm supposed to stay out of gears 5-7 when in a boosted automatic and also not to get on first gear too hard.

If I followed these protocols do you think my tranny will be ok?
Also the car is on a stillen tune so I don't Think it's putting down more than 400hp and torque. it's been supercharged for roughly 20k miles.

Would you guys buy this car if you were in the market for a Z?
Link to car https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4o92nbAgFc

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

I'm not a fan of buying modified cars unless I knew the owner & the car's history very well. If it's something minor I'd probably consider it (suspension, maybe brake upgrades, maybe cooling upgrades since they early 370z was plagued with overheating) from someone I didn't know, but I'd sways check it out thoroughly and have someone else do it as well and compare notes later.

Having said that, this car raises a some red flags. First, how many miles were on the car when it was supercharged? You already mentioned the auto trans, but I can't help you in durability, I can't imagine buying an auto Z. The price is pretty low considering what's been done to it. No one that modifies a car should ever expect to get out what they put in, but this is pretty low, even with that rationale in mind. A Stillen supercharger is close to $6k depending on the finish, an AP brake setup close to the same (assuming it's on all four corners) and the other stuff I'm not going to calculate. You didn't mention tuning in all of this, did the owner mention it?

Anyway, it all leaves me with during why the current owner is dumping it on the cheap.

Aflores92
Car: C300 soon to be 370z

Thanks for the reply, the car is on a stillen tune.
I was asking myself the same question why it was so cheap.
The car is for sale from a used car lot and the car fax says it was sold at auction. so I did some research and visited the last shop the car was at on the car fax. I asked the shop if they could contact the previous owner for me and give him my number. Turns out they knew the guy pretty well and he had recently been arrested and had his car repossessed by the police. While that is pretty bizarre it made me feel slightly better about the low price cause the guy probably never intended to sell it.

I took the car to Nissan for an inspection and they said overall the car seemed to be in good health just a few belts that need replacing and fluids topped off. However they weren't able to tell me much about the supercharger and transmission so that was a bummer. They did say all the work done looked very clean and professional.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

In a word, no.

An automatic in a Z should be a felony.

jack4
Car: 370-Z

Desert Rat wrote:In a word, no.

An automatic in a Z should be a felony.
Couldn't agree more.

mdfarzeen
Car: BMW

Honestly, looks like a good deal to me

2003PATHFINDER2022
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5
2006 Nissan 350Z

I only buy stock condition 'non-modified' muscle or performance cars, period. 9 times out of 10 these so called 'enhanced' or 'up graded' autos were a miss adventure and total waste of large amounts of money spent bastardizing a once great auto. If the car is such a great performer why does the owner want to get rid of it? Go find a clean unit that some kid did not destroy the true value of, good luck, plenty of nice 'adult' owned and well maintained cars out there. Hope this helps.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”