Help! Won't start, then it does, revs @ REDLINE

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
2010versaGrey
Car: 2010 versa 1.8L Automatic

I'm trying to figure this one out, I can't be the only one to experience this. The car cranks at normal speed (strong battery), but doesn't start (I have a full tank of fuel). I tried my spare key to eliminate that variable, doesn't start.

I plugged in my scan tool, no codes.

I attempt to start it one day later, it starts but the engine is revving at redline (throttle pedal is unresponsive when actuated).

Please share your knowledge.

1.8L
Auto trans
95k miles

2010versaGrey

Has anyone experienced this?

2010versaGrey

Bueller?

EdBwoy

Based on my knowledge of Nissans, here are my guesses:

MAF
- the engine had no idea how much air you're getting. Might be reading erratically (low in this case, asking the throttle valve to make up for this, hence high revs)
But this should usually throw a code.
And commonly, it just starts and dies immediately.

Thottle pedal module
- no idea what you're asking the engine to do, might think you have it floored.
If it starts and then thinks you're flooring it, it revs high
Also, if you floor most fuel injected cars while starting, that is a universal call for a flooded engine, so the computer cuts fuel (make sense for not starting?)

Throttle body/ throttle position sensor
- not communicating back exactly where the plate is. I don't see why it should affect your starting, but just like above, the sensor might be saying almost closed, so the actuator opens it to rev high

Parts replacement could get costly, so I have to ask if you've considered taking it to a dealership and paying for diagnosis.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

RE: throttle pedal............stuck all the way open = no fuel, it WON'T start of course. Then almost same place and it revs to 100%.

I'd be looking at that.......I would think a backup would be to yank the air intake hose so you can see what the TB butterfly is doing.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”