Help with used Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
maxtorque02

My son is in the process of buying a 1994 Q45A and we're looking for some help. The car is in excellent condition with 120,000 miles and has some nice custom chrome wheels and Falken Azenis 245/40/18 tires that are a month old. What are some issues I should be looking for? I've heard about the sterring rack, but don't know the details on that. Cost about $800.00 to fix if it goes out? He also mentioned it may need tie rod ends. Is that something a backyard mechanic can do and if not what would it run? It also has leaks in both valve cover gaskets and he says it's about $500.00 from the dealer. Is that about right and would an independent be much cheaper? Are these cars pretty much maintenance free or do they require constant attention? What about gas mileage and does it need premium? The cost is going to be around $4500.00 to $5000.00? Is that a good price with how I described it?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Negrodamus
Car: FX35

There is a Q45 buyers guide in the Articles section to help in answering some of your questions. The valve cover gasket can be done yourself however you may have to remove the intake manifold to accomplish the task, to make it cheaper you could purchase the valve cover gaskets then take it to a private shop and just pay labor some shops will mark up the price on parts. As far as the rack is concerned check on ebay i think the stores name is carsteering they are in San Diego Ca they are rebuilt units but they come with a warrenty. I would replace it if its leaking or just replace the boots on the ends of the rack. If you are servicing the rack replacing the lower ball joints that attach to the rack would be a good idea you can get that on ebay as well. If you do have a leak check the high pressure hose that may be the root of the problem... If I were to buy the car I would definatly negociate on the price of the car heck I would offer 4000.00 even to compensate for repairs. Good luck!

btw no car is matinance free some require more than others, again this is a luxury car, and no Honda so the parts can be costly but you can always shop parts out for a good deal

Negrodamus

Negrodamus

5zigen

Q45a... nice find! One of the biggest things that you will ever run into owning an active Q is the accumulators!!! They will run out of pressure and will need to be recharged. Contact Nicoclub member 'texasoil' for more info.

maxtorque02

Tha
5zigen wrote:Q45a... nice find! One of the biggest things that you will ever run into owning an active Q is the accumulators!!! They will run out of pressure and will need to be recharged. Contact Nicoclub member 'texasoil' for more info.
ks.

Thanks. How long do they normally last before they need service? He mentioned he had one replaced a little while ago and spent about $1000.00 on one strut. Is it something that usually happens around a certain interval? I'm not into having my son have to spend $1000.00 of dollars to fix the suspension right afte he buys it.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Any used 120,000 mile car will need parts replacement. 1994 are improved over 90-93.

However it all depends on the standards of the previous owner/owners and how well they maintained the car and where they drove it.

Understand that Q are heavy cars and thus stress suspension and brake components.

Reserve $3,000 initially and $2,000-$3,000 per year annually for maintenance/repairs/replacements.

The car has depreciated over $45,000 for a reason! Because $20,000 worth of parts [at retail dealer] prices are at risk! Tranny, AC, suspension.

That said we have many 94 Q45 owners with over 200,000 miles, just that they have spent the $2400 per year [based on $70/hr labor rate] to maintain.

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

Welcome to NICO. A used Q45a is not maint. free by any means. The Car is almost unmatched with the wonderful drive and outstanding feel, but the active Q is a car that needs attention from time to time. The complexity of the active model Q is outdone by only one or two cars! Your Active car has nine accumulators, 4 of which are on the Strut assemblies, the rest at different location on the car including the front wheel wells.

NICO member texasoil can recharge the whole system for around $1200 plus shipping. That's all 9 accumulators being removed shipped to him and then being shipped back to you and being reinstalled. First, go to a dealer and let them check the active system to see what condition they are in. No sense doing anything if they don't need it. Search the old threads here with the search bottom and use "Accumulators" or "actuators" and even "active system" for key words.

Most active components or accumulators go dead or drain of the gas needed to make them work and you get a "harder ride". The Car should rise a few inches when started and settle back down when turned off. the car should stay level through turns and corners. this can all happen and you can still have dead Accumulators.

There is another NICO memember that has a spare parts Q and much experience with the car right there in Portland who may help you with the on hands work that may be needed. He'll let you know the ins and outs of being the Q45a Do it yourselfer. He is DR. Q and [email protected] is his e-mail address. Contact him for more info.

I have a 92 Q45a with 261K on it and have just converted from active to normal suspension(did this knowing I would get another active Q sometime down the road) The car is amazing and I have put over $3500 back into the car in the year and few months I've had the car because I wanted to restore it. It was worth every penny to me.

It sounds like the Q your son is looking at is in great shape and 120k is average mileage for a 12 year old car. Check maint. records and old threads here on transmissions to help decide. Plan on spending some money on maint. but remember the Active Q is one of the most incredible cars ever made!

redred

Jehangir
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45A

I agree with all the information above. I bought my active Q about 4 months ago, and am extremely happy with it. However I have spent about $4000 since I bought the car. This includes Chain guides and timing chain, along with under plenium hoses, and external transmission cooler, accumulators for the suspension, spark plugs, and of course I have had ALL the fluids and filters changed. Whew! Now, I am waiting to hear some buzzing from the gas tank so I can have my fuel pump replaced as they usually go out around 120K too. But that being said, now I am willing to drive my car anywhere I choose without worry of breakdown. Also, another thing I had not counted on was the surprisingly high rating for insurance premiums. I am over 25 and with a clean record therefore it wasn't a big deal for me. But if your son is younger than 25 you may want to consult your insurance agent before you finalize your dealGood luck, you are researching an AWESOME car.

maxtorque02

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help you have given me. It looks like my son is going to pass on the car as he's a little concerned about the various cost he may have to put out. Insurance was a concern with the car as he's only 20, but soon to turn 21, but the rates were higher than he wanted to pay. I must admit, the Q45 is one beautiful car and I hadn't paid much attention to them until I found this one. I was half tempted to sell my Navigator and buy it myself. Oh well, again, thanks for everyones help. You guys have a great forum here.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

maxtorque02 wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help you have given me. It looks like my son is going to pass on the car as he's a little concerned about the various cost he may have to put out. Insurance was a concern with the car as he's only 20, but soon to turn 21, but the rates were higher than he wanted to pay. I must admit, the Q45 is one beautiful car and I hadn't paid much attention to them until I found this one. I was half tempted to sell my Navigator and buy it myself. Oh well, again, thanks for everyones help. You guys have a great forum here.
What are we doing? Talking people OUT of buying Q45's!?

Are we Daft? This is the greatest car ever made (in Japan)!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Jeff Williams wrote:Are we Daft? This is the greatest car ever made (in Japan)!
Shhhh! Don't tell them! Best sedan ever made anywhere that I can maintain. German stuff doesn't last anymore and is too unreliable.

Must only go to dedicated owners, not drive-them-into-the-ground consumers. I would certainly trade up to a G50 and park the Navigator most of the time.

Now someone go get that active in Portland!

tkd_q45

It is good for newbies to have a heads up in regards to expensive repairs that will be needed. That said, word of caution as I'm having problems finding independent techs who have the right knowledge to work on the active suspension. I'm not a DYI God like many on this board and lack the time, tools and patients to serivice myself. Dealers are willing to work/look at it but are inept in regards to diagnosis and are all too willing to simply replace expensive parts.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

tkd_q45 wrote:That said, word of caution as I'm having problems finding independent techs who have the right knowledge to work on the active suspension.
Two words for you SoCal types...Jerry Tucker

http://www.jerrytucker.net

Jehangir
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45A

you're correct about mechanic choice. But I feel the FSM is pretty comprehensive. If we do the reading in the specific chapter before going to the dealer, then we will be able to know if they are B.S.ing. Still if we keep up with preventative maintainence those trips should be far and inbetween.Just my two cents....

tkd_q45

Yes Jerry is the guy but he's down in San Diego - not exactly convenient for us Los Angeles folk.

Yes the FSM is a good source but the "a" has it's uniqe problems that aren't always easy (or cheap) to solve. Going non "a" is definitely an easier route.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

tkd_q45 wrote:Yes Jerry is the guy but he's down in San Diego - not exactly convenient for us Los Angeles folk.
A lot closer than T-3.

What is it an hour and a half? Minor for major service, I would think. I have driven farther to obtain services of a good senior Infiniti technician at better rates than local market dealer.
Modified by maxnix at 7:11 AM 6/27/2005

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”