Help with turbo size.

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
S13Ka24e
Car: Tunning, reading, learning

While shopping for my turbo i got confused with the A/R HOUSING. What are the advantages to a large A/R HOUSING and a small one??? This is just for the TURBINE. I can get it in .48 .63 .82 and 1.06 They are all the same price for me. I'm going to be mostly doing auto-x (and daily driving). So, i will need fast spool to get out of the courners. I would think I would need the .63 but i don't know for sure??? Any help would be good.

BTW it comes with a 76 TRIM WHEEL for the TURBINE if that helps. I already know the Compressor is a T04S with .70 A/R HOUSING with a 60 TRIM WHEEL.

Thanks,S13ka24e

zachosz
Car: NONE!!!

Basically the bigger the A/R the more power you'll make, since the turbo will flow more air. So if you want better spool up and don't care for peak power i think the smaller housing would be ideal

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

If your looking for an auto X turbo you have WAY to big of a compressor on there, I'd suggest like a .60a/r 50 trim compressor at the most.

As far as a turbine goes I'd say.63 would work well, I have run .81's and a .70 divided on my 1.9 but with my motor lag wasn't as much of an issue since I can rev it so much higher.

S13Ka24e

Thanks.

The reason I had thought that turbo would be good is that it has the TO4S for the compressor. I can go smaller but i would have to go T04E or T3. So since I will go with a smaller turbo how does a .60 A/R HOUSING 57 TRIM WHEEL for the compressor and I will go with a .63 TURBINE???

Thanks Again S13ka24e

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

zachosz wrote:Basically the bigger the A/R the more power you'll make, since the turbo will flow more air. So if you want better spool up and don't care for peak power i think the smaller housing would be ideal

Actually, the A/R has nothing to do with the size of the turbo itself. Only the nozzle. It is related to the airflow though, but not to a large extent. The size of the wheel and housing are more crucial, the A/R is more of a fine tune aspect of sizing. With a T3 turbine, spool-up won't be much of an issue anyways, so I'd opt for a higher A/R for better flow. But I tend to be biased to larger turbos anyways. You will only hate lag until it starts to boost. And lag is not as bad as you think....

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I'm with C-Kwik on the larger turbo. I love the the T04E with the 1.06 AR on my RB20. It doesn't see boost till 4300rpm but then it pulls your friggin teeth out.

But for daily driver and autoX you'll want the smaller AR size. I would look into the GT3037. Its a very nice bal bearing turbo.

Maybe the GT2835r, my friends Skyline with the RB20 comes on boost at 2800 and he runs low 12's through the 1/4.

There are a ton of decent turbo selections to choose from. Just remember, lag in traffic is just like driving a Civic...

WD

S13Ka24e

I would love to get a ball-bearing turbo but they are too much. This is the spec of the turbo i will proabably use

COMPRESSOR SPECS:

.60 A/R HOUSING

60 TRIM WHEEL

TURBINE SPECS:

.63 A/R HOUSING

STAGE 3 WHEEL

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

That turbo should be fine o your car. I hear ya about the BB turbines being expensive. My wife was pissed when she found one of bills from a local tuning shop a few years ago. But they are sweet turbo's. I won't run anything but from now on.

WD

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”