Help with the A12 in my MG

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
A12inMG
Car: 1964 MG Midget
-With A12

So, I have a Datsun engine and transmission in my 1964 MG Midget. From what I have heard, it is a good engine to have, so I plan to keep it. Other than the fact that someone told me that it is an A12 (confirmed by the serial number), I know nothing about the engine and I am therefore having trouble looking for parts. Also, after starting it after having sat for about 7 years (previous owner), it runs OK but upon reeving, it gives a nasty backfire; any advice? The manual I got for it (an original copy which is the aqua color) is very vague on adjusting the valves; it simply gives the specifications (0.25mm cold) where my VW manual (for my VWs obviously) tells what position the engine should be in according to the distributor rotor position. How do I go about this?
Here are some parts I currently need:
-Clutch slave cylinder
-Clutch soft line
-Transmission cover plate
-Shifter bushing kit
Thank you for any help.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

The A series is a tough lil sumbitch; you have a great little engine there.
If you want to build it up Kameari still gives the love. http://www.kameariusa.com/datsun-a14/
Tomei also has you covered. http://www.tomeiusa.com/_2003web-catalo ... _a_ae.html

New cap, rotor, wires and plugs with a fresh fuel filter, drain the tank and put some new gas in it with some carb cleaner, it's got to be gummed up some after sitting that long, oil change and see where that gets you. It has to get better.

Here's a likely answer for your service manual.
http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Datsun-197 ... sun+manual

Some motivation.

A12inMG
-With A12

I've already done the usual; drained the tank (pretty clean), changed the filter, cleaned the contacts inside the cap, cleaned the plugs and have sprayed a whole lot carburetor cleaner down the carburetor. Still backfire upon acceleration. I should change the plugs and do an oil change, though. Does A12 = 1200? because every time I try to research parts for "A12" it comes up with parts for 1200.

themadscientist

Plugs, definitely. Used plugs don't sit well. Just some basic NGKs, nothing fancy necessary. Caps and wires don't keep well either, but try the plugs first. ;)

No, the A12 is the engine, the 1200 is a car that happens to come with an A12 so your engine info will be in there. The rest of the book is useless to you.

A12inMG
-With A12

Will this slave cylinder fit my A12 transmission? I ask this because the hose fitting at the end would be much better for the set up in my MG than with it on the side.

A12inMG
-With A12

Which bushing kit do I get for my transmission? My shifter has a brass bushing in it but only on one side and it doesn't go all the way through the shifter. Any thoughts?

themadscientist

On the slave, if it will bolt up to the transmission and the cylinder bore size is the same you should be fine. Without knowing what car your power train was sourced from it is difficult to say what will fit.

A12inMG
-With A12

Right now I have this cylinder but the with the clutch line I have now and the way the transmission sits in the MG, the hose points towards the ground and makes a sharp turn upwards. I like the hose fitting at the end of the other one.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”