Help with Oxygen Sensor Code PO158

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
my12by60

My 2000 AE just started to light the SES dash icon with code PO158, which states: O2 Sensor High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2.

Is this passenger side sensor?

Is the fix likely to be replacing the sensor?

Amazon is showing replacement sensors ranging from $22 to $45. The only brand names I recognize are a Bosch sensor for $25 and a Denso sensor for $45. Should I just get the cheapest one or have folks had problems with the cheapies?

Is it worth $7 to get the special oxygen sensor socket that Amazon shows?

I read here on the forum that rear sensors are fairly simple to replace, with the hardest part possibly being getting the old sensor to break loose and unscrew. So I will douse it will PB blaster and let that work at least overnight. Any other complications to be aware of with this job?

Thanks for any feedback.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Bank2 on a Q45 is passenger side.

I've never had the slightest luck with Bosch O2 sensors on Nissan products. Denso makes most of Nissan's OE O2's, so if you don't want to go OE, stick with that.

The big thing with O2 Sensors is always the possibility of stripping the threads in the pipe or cat on the way out. On an old ride, I'd recommend soaking it repeatedly over several days before you even try to remove it. The split sockets are usually a waste of time when the sensor is being replaced, if the connector on the old sensor won't fit through a box wrench then cut the wire. Use a box wrench and a hand sledge or large deadblow (mine is a 6 pounder), gingerly tap-tap on the wrench to budge the sensor before putting torque on it. If you do need to use a split socket, tighten a radiator band clamp around the base of the socket to keep it from spreading when you put force on it.

my12by60

Thanks for the helpful info and tips.

I am also seeing NTK sensors available and I have seen those mentioned in this forum. Is NTK a brand that people have had luck with for replacement O2 sensors on the Q45? The NTK #24545 is available on Amazon or at my local Autozone store.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

NTK and NGK are the same company with different branding for different products. They're a huge OE supplier just like Denso and are generally trustworthy for any riceburner parts.

my12by60

Ok. Thanks again. I went out this morning and gave the sensor its first soaking with WD40.

A few years ago, I took an O2 sensor out of my wife's 20 year old Dodge Durango and it was not too bad to break loose. We are in AZ desert and the Q has been here its whole life (prior owners were all in AZ too), as was that old Durango. So the sensor may not be as locked in as it could be in a more rust-prone climate.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, that's a huge advantage. Lived in El Paso for a long time, I always found it delightful how rust sleeps in a desert climate.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”