Help with Nissan Frontier going into limp mode!?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
ProfourX
Car: 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

Hi everyone. I’m having an issue with my 2010 Frontier Pro4x going into limp mode after I was off-roading and I had accidentally slid and then ran over onto a huge boulder which caused damage to the right side of my bumper, right side of the plastic that lines the wheel well, skid plate and really just the whole right side of under my truck. After driving home I noticed my truck went into limp mode and the VDC & Slip light was lit up on my dash. I took it to AutoZone for a code reading and I had two codes for a bad knock sensor & intake manifold gasket. Also a sway bar was bent up.

Once I took it to a dealer, the sway bar and skid plate was mentioned to also be affected. I got it back from the dealer $2600 later and limp mode is still occurring.

I decided to do some preventative maintenance and I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. As I heard cleaning or replacing the MAF sensor may cure limp mode. I also reset the cars computer. Nothing has worked and I need answers.

Edit: weeks later and there’s still absolutely no codes. I believe this to be a mechanical part that’s broken or maybe a sensor but there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with any electronics

Also first time posting so apologies if it’s in the wrong chat or if my post is messed up looking.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue May 17, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Couple of pertinent questions:
1) Are the VDC and slip lights still on?
2) When you say there are still no codes, on what kind of scanner? Not all OBD-II's can read the ABS or TCM, and very few can read the 4WD
3) Most importantly. "limp mode" is a software function. So if the MIL isn't lit, what makes you believe it's limping?

ProfourX
Car: 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

1) vdc and slip light do still come on after about 10 minutes of driving
2) today I went to the dealership and they said that there’s actually a wheel speed sensor code. Also my brakes are apparently really spongy according to them
3) my truck limits my rpm’s to 2k and any acceleration above 40mph takes 5x slower to accelerate. And I saw somewhere that the vdc and slip light indicates limp mode but I’m not for certain.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, the VDC and slip can come on as a result of engine codes, but only in combination with a lit MIL. That's because some codes cause the ECM to stop broadcasting the RPM, and the ABS responds to that with a C1130 code. If your MIL isn't lit I'd say you may have dinged a fuel line in your incident and it won't deliver enough fuel to sustain high engine loads. It's also possible your exhaust pipes or cats are dinged and the engine can't breathe, or it could just be a weak fuel pump or bad MAF. Fuel, exhaust and MAF are pretty much the only things that can cause that sort of behavior without throwing codes.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”