HELP with engine problems / Sketchy mechanic Altima 2007

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
sammysam
Car: 2007 ALTIMA 2.5 s DOHC

Hey guys ! im a new owner here in texas of a 2007 Altima 2.5s 90k miles. The engine recently started knocking and i took it to a mechanic who told me i have 2 broken Thermostats. I was quoted 1000 $ to replace thermostats and new spark plugs?? i thought that was crazy high.

1 Can i replace these on my own?

2 OR how much is a fair price for a mechanics labor if i buy the parts?

I will attach the copy of the Diagnostics / Repair Quote

http://imgur.com/TmMzBlo

Thanks so much for anybody with help or advice.

Sam

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hi Sam! Welcome aboard.

Before anything, call the dealer - The Nissan Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for the 2007 Nissan Altima and Sentra dated April, 2009 mentions checking the part number of the engine computer with the scan tool and reprogramming it if the part number matches one of the numbers listed in the bulletin. It may be a simple reflash by the dealer - no cost, no hassle.

You can most likely handle the repair... there's a lot of unnecessary stuff in your mechanic's quote. We could have walked you through the coilpack replacement and new plugs for a LOT less money.

First, let's look at your code, P0128.

That can be either the thermostat, a leak near the thermostat, or a temp sensor.

If you have a multimeter and want to test the temp sensor, here's the process:

TO CHECK ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Disconnect engine coolant temperature sensor harness connector.
3. Remove engine coolant temperature sensor.
4. Check resistance between engine coolant temperature sensor terminals as follows.
Is the inspection result normal?
YES >> Reinstall sensor.
NO >> Replace engine coolant temperature sensor.

Replacing the thermostat is relatively easy, and none of these parts are expensive - In fact, a new thermostat and temp sensor for your car through RockAuto is around $22 shipped.

Here's the factory service manual - TONS of helpful info in here! www.nissanservicemanual.com

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and we'll help you through it.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”