Help with Cherokee Transfer Case

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

A buddy of mine dropped off his Jeep so I could pull his transfer case. Story is it locked up on him and blew up while he was driving.

No problem I said. Shouldn't take too long.

Remove parts in the way, pull nuts holding the Tcase on off, and it won't budge. I tried my longest pry bar to get it to seperate, but it doesn't want to come off. Prying get me a 2mm gap between the tcase and tranny, but closes right back up.

Any ideas? Any chance the input shaft wedged onto the tranny output when it locked up?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So I wrote a reply and then realized this is a month old post. Did you end up figuring it out? Anyway, here's my reply:

Hmm, I'm not really familiar with Jeep drivetrain stuff, but in general transfer cases should just slide out easily once unbolted. Are you sure you removed all the bolts (trans and t-case bolts like to hide in tricky places)? A quick google search shows that most (maybe all?) Jeep transfer cases have 6 bolts securing them to the trans.

It certainly might be binding due to whatever caused it to lock up. Is it in neutral? Might even just be binding against the output shaft.

Here's a useful step-by-step with pictures I found:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ax5- ... s-1041722/

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

Hey, thanks for the reply, even as late as it was.

Turned out one of the 6 bolts was very corroded in the hole on the transmission. After a dozen good wails with a hammer, they split apart enought to wedge a pry bar in between, and everything was easy from there.

sanage
Car: suzuki

Plasti-Dipping the rims & possibly installing HID's TODAY! :)

Return to “Others”