HELP with Aftermarket AMP with Bose Stereo 2004 coupe

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
csguy0
Car: 2004 G35 6MT

Hey all,

I replaced my bose amplifier with an aftermarket version and I am having some serious noise coming through the speakers.

I used the stock wires coming out of the bose head unit to supply my amp with an imput signal (my amp has a built in Speaker level input).

The noise I hear begins when I turn my car to ACC or ON even with the Bose Headunit off! I cant seem to figure this one out.

I have a line output converter coming (not sure if its the right one) in a few days, so hopefully that will solve my problem.

If anyone has done this please give me some insight on any problems you may have encountered.

Thanks,

David

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

BUMP

For all you tech whizzes!!

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

What kind of amp is it? What kind of noise are you hearing? Is it a whine, a hiss, or a thump?

Check your gounding point...make sure its securely fastened to solid metal.How did you wire the amp? Is your power cable anywhere near your signal cables? Also make sure your amp isn't touching metal.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.c...2.gif

Check that out to start diagnosing.

csguy0

Get this:

The noise happens ONLY when I have the input wires hooked into my amp...

The noise does not happen when the input wires are disconnected.

The noise happens when the car is in ACC mode or if the car is actually on

The noise is more of a whine... but I dont see how it is a ground loop because the noise does not happen when the car is fully on and the input wires are disconnected.

Note: at all times the output wires (from the amp to the speakers) are hooked up at all times... as well as the power and grounding wires (I am using the stock power and ground wires that were hooked into the BOSE amp)

Thanks,

David

csguy0

Might I also add... I am using the stock head unit. The only things I have touched are the wires that used to connect into the bose amp.

The amp was in my other car, and had no problems with noise. It is an Infinity 4ch amp 111W RMS x4

forgot the name :-/

Thanks,

David

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

As much as you are going to hate this, I'd bet my cell phone that its a ground loop. Nobody likes to debug ground loops either.

My advice to you is to rewire grounds/power cables to the AMP. Upgrade the power to at least 8gauge, I never go smaller than 4. Ground wire should be the same, and you can find several grounding points in the area where the amp is.

csguy0

Eww! what is the AWG of the stock power wires?

tollboothwilley

I'm not sure, but I doubt its even close to 8.

I'd help you rewire it if you lived around here... Shouldn't take more than about an hour.

csguy0

Where did you route your power cable and your RCA cables?

I get my Line Output Converter tomorrow so we will see what happens.

I live in FL so I'm not able to take advantage of your offer!

Thanks,

David

tollboothwilley

Wire the Positive directly to the battery.

The ground, i wired to a bolt on the chassis. Generally you want to keep this length to a minimum away from the AMP, less tha 18" is a general rule of thumb. I just used an existing bolt, unscrewed it, sanded down to the frame for good contact then strapped it down.

I routed the RCA cables right down the middle of my car. Power cables are on the passenger side. (all under the carpet and hidden nicely of course).

tollboothwilley

My amps are in the trunk, and i think i used about 16 feet for the positive, and 2 feet for the ground in wire length.

I used 0 gauge and a power cap for my subs/amp and i used 4 gauge for my 4 channel amp.

csguy0

Middle? do you mean you had to take apart the interior? or do you mean underneath the car?

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”