HELP with a pistol + hollow point pistol ammo + Walther P99 9MM

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

Guys, help needed here.

Pistol: Walther P99 9mm

I've had it for couple of months now, and it is a great pistol. Through it only shot a full jacket ammo (target ammo) so far, about 500. It is very accurate for a lightweight quality 9mm.

Couple weeks ago, I ordered couple boxes of great hollow point 9mm luger ammo.http://ammunitiontogo.com/cata...-ammo

This weekend going to a range, and just making sure everything is together in the box, and I started to TRY TO FIT THE BULLET INTO THE CHAMBER. IT DOESN'T FIT INTO THE CHAMBER FROM THE MUZZLE.

so if you rack the slide, and put the bullet into the chamber manually, everything is fine, you put in a full magazine and rack the slide, everything is fine. It is spitting bullets out everytime the slide is racked.

BUT, IF YOU TRY TO FIT THE BULLET HEAD INTO THE MUZZLE, FROM THE FRONT OF THE PISTOL, IT WILL NOT FIT.

FULL METAL JACKET TARGET AMMO THAT I HAVE FITS!! BUT HOLLOW POINT FEDERAL LE TACTICAL HST DOES NOT!!

SO IS THIS NORMAL FOR A HOLLOW POINT TO BE A LITTLE WIDER THAN THE EXIT HOLE OF A BARREL??

sanioll

One of the things that could go wrong is the bullet stoppage in the chamber during firing, or the pistol can explode. Scary!! Any ideas?

bobotech

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the issue is but I'm thinking that you are saying that a bullet (not the round but the actual bullet) won't fit into the muzzle of the barrel.

That is a good thing.

The bore of a barrel is supposed to be a hair smaller than the bullet diameter. When you shoot, the bullet is supposed to fill the barrel tightly to be air tight.

If the bullet fits loosely, then that's a bad thing.

bobotech

Look at this picture:

See how the top bullet fits into the muzzle all the way, that's a BAD thing and a sign of a badly worn muzzle/bore. The rifling is probably worn out too.

The bottom bullet doesn't go in nearly all the way and that's what they are supposed to do.

What kind of ammo did get at first that fits the muzzle end?

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

We do have an "outdoors" forum for gun threads.
bobotech wrote:If the bullet fits loosely, then that's a bad thing.
You beat me. I read this post and am very confused. It's almost like saying "I pressed on my brakes and I stopped!"

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

sanioll wrote:This is what I use for target shooting.

This in 9mm, shooting range sells this.http://ammunitiontogo.com/cata...id=41SO FULL METAL JACKET TARGET AMMO FITS ALL THE WAY.

But just got a good quality 9mm hollow point from federal (Federal LE Tactical HST). Not available for public sale, but got it at ammunitiontogo.comBUT HOLLOW POINT DOESN'T FIT ALL THE WAY.

Just took pictures, let see where to host them.
The .380 round likely has the bullet farther in the case than the full size 9mm round. Just a guess? I say that because they're both the same caliber, so neither should fit into the barrel.

sanioll

THIS IS ALL 9MM:

FULL METAL JACKET: INDEPENDENCE 9MM TARGET AMMO

HOLLOW POINT: FEDERAL LE TACTICAL HST 9MMhttp://ammunitiontogo.com/cata...-ammo

ALL 9MM!!

PICTURE 1. FULL METAL JACKET TARGET AMMO FITS ALL THE WAY.

PICTURE 2. HOLLOW POINT FITS FROM THE BACK.

PICTURE 3. HOLLOW POINT DOES NOT FIT FROM THE FRONT.

Modified by sanioll at 1:34 AM 7/16/2008

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

Sorry about the Walther. It's another handgun I so wanted to like, but haaaaated. Maybe it was the extra snap of the .40, but man,what a jumpy pistol! It didn't help the mags must be made of gold.

Your issues been covered, so I'm going to talk about related topic: your choice of ammo.

124 grain is pushing the limit on what a good 9mm round should weight. If you're serious about a self-defense round, you're going to want lighter weight and more pressure. For my money (and my life) it doesn't get any better than Cor-Bon. Ammo to go (great site, BTW) has just what you need: http://ammunitiontogo.com/cata...-ammo

Note, though: As long as you're not buying 147gr 9mm rounds, most name-brand, non-gimmick JHP's work well.

If you're buying HP for plinking, why?

Edit: I see you've got the Smith & Wesson make of the P99. How's that going?

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Well your link was to .380 ammo and thus why I thought you were using it.

So anyway, what's the point? Take a picture of each round side by side. The FMJ bullet is deeper in the case than the HP bullet. If you could remove the FMJ bullet from the case, you will see that it too will not fit freely in the gun barrel.

sanioll

Well that explains it. It is never a bad idea to be paranoid.

Here is a picture.

sanioll

charlieo wrote:If you're buying HP for plinking, why?

Edit: I see you've got the Smith & Wesson make of the P99. How's that going?
Great pistol. At first accuracy wasn't good, because the operator wasn't that good at shooting. But seriously, it is a great pistol. Very light, which exaggerates your wrist movement. Anti-stress trigger is great for precise shooting.

Every defense ammo needs to be tested on your weapon for reliability and accuracy. This hollow point is a bit better and improved version of the other ones. Just look at expansion and energy delivery charts from the maker.

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

sanioll wrote:
Great pistol. At first accuracy wasn't good, because the operator wasn't that good at shooting. But seriously, it is a great pistol. Very light, which exaggerates your wrist movement. Anti-stress trigger is great for precise shooting.

Every defense ammo needs to be tested on your weapon for reliability and accuracy. This hollow point is a bit better and improved version of the other ones. Just look at expansion and energy delivery charts from the maker.
Might need to try the 9mm version. I can tell you, don't buy the .40 model. You liked the anti-stress?

I agree on the tests. I'm a few boxes into making sure my FNP like's it's Cor-Bon 135 grain. Seriously. Try the Cor-Bon.

I've got a few boxes of Federal's new EFMJ on the way. I know they don't expand like JHP, but if they're as consistent as promised, the security of FMJ feeding is hard to beat.

bobotech

Wait, I'm confused even more now.

The link you posted sent me to a webpage showing 380 ammo, not 9mm ammo.

Are you trying to shoot 380 though your 9mm luger pistol?/

If so, STOP. That's not a good thing.

380 uses the same diameter bullets but they are seated deeper but that's not the bad thing. The bad thing is the fact that 380 brass is shorter than 9mm brass. A 380 round will chamber into a 9mm pistol but the headspace will be dangerously too much. The round headspaces off the forward edge of the brass. A 380 will then chamber deeper into the chamber since its overall length is shorter than a 9mm round. That means the gap between the bolt face and the primer is greater than it should be or the round won't fully seat. There is a potential for a kaboom then.

Please take a picture of the bottom of the FMJ and the hollow point as well as the boxes of the ammo.

I just want to make sure that i'm not leading you down the wrong road but if you are doing what I think you are doing, for your safety and the sake of the pistol, you need to stop else a kaboom could happen.
sanioll wrote:This is what I use for target shooting.

This in 9mm, shooting range sells this.http://ammunitiontogo.com/cata...id=41SO FULL METAL JACKET TARGET AMMO FITS ALL THE WAY.

But just got a good quality 9mm hollow point from federal (Federal LE Tactical HST). Not available for public sale, but got it at ammunitiontogo.comBUT HOLLOW POINT DOESN'T FIT ALL THE WAY.

Just took pictures, let see where to host them.

sanioll

We got it figured out. Read the whole thread.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

it's typical for different makes to vary in actual diameter...the federal will probably yield much better accuracy.

get a few other good loads though and carry which ever you shoot best with.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”