Help With 2006 350Z Excessive Oil Consumption

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Bob350Z
Car: 2006 Nissan 350Z Grand Touring Roadster Convertible

I am new to being a Nissan Owner. Recently purchased a showroom condition 2006 350Z Grand Touring Roadster 3.5l/ 6spd. manual tranny....and about 77,000 miles.

The car is in awesome shape....although not with some usual problems of a car almost 10 years old.

The one mechanical thing that is bugging me is the amount of oil consumption (but is not necessarily buring it or smoking). What I have learned is that this particular year has issues with the PCV system and allows too much oil to get up into the intake manifold area. There are several possible reasons.

1. The basic engine was designed for normal lower RPM daily usage when linked to the automatic tranny.
2. The fuel injection system adds to the amount of positive crankcase pressure and an poorly designed PCV system is going to cause issues.

I have replaced the PCV vale......with little effect. I have not pulled the valve cover to make sure that the drain valley is free and clear and not clogged up.

The confusion comes in when I am trying to decide if I out to go with a vented cap system in place of the PCV or do a reroute and add a vented Oil Catch Can and replace the PCV valve.

I need some help to decide with is best to do. I am not adding any turbo.......and just leaving the engine stock.

I am getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-700 miles to a quart based on the type of driving I am doing.

Any input is appreciated.....

Thanks.....

Bob

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

I've moved your thread to the correct forum area, to get the best responses to your question.

Bob350Z
Car: 2006 Nissan 350Z Grand Touring Roadster Convertible

Thank You So much.......

Which Forum Thread did it go to???

I am a new Nissan owner and new to this website as well.

Bob

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Welcome to the wonderful world of the VQ35DE RevUp engine. It was used in the 2005 Track & 35th Anniversary (6MT only) and the 2006 350Zs.

From all of my massive amount of searching, both before and since I purchased my '05 35th Anny, the issue from the RevUp oil consumption is not from the PCV but from the cylinder hone. Some cars suffered from horrendous oil consumption immediately after purchase and after an test procedure was done the engine was replaced, sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't. Mine has never had excessive consumption, but at 180K miles it's now starting to use a little, but nothing that I wouldn't expect from any other car with similar mileage.

I have heard that an oil catch can can help the situation (not sure how it helps exactly) but I've not actually tried it myself. The seals in the spark plug tubes are also known to leak in the 350Z, unfortunately the seals are integrated into the valve covers. If you don't want to buy a new set of valve covers there is a company called R&D Factory that offers a replacement option that you can try if you're a DIY type. You can find them here.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Bob350Z wrote:Thank You So much.......

Which Forum Thread did it go to???

I am a new Nissan owner and new to this website as well.

Bob
Hi Bob! You originally posted in the NISMO forum. I had a feeling that this one would work better for you. Looks like you're getting some good advice already. :bigthumb:

essfourteen
Car: 1995 240sx

Similar to what BusyBadger said, the 06 Z's were supplied with DE "revup" engines. A LOT of these were warranty swapped out with new engines back when they were still under warranty. Unfortunately, yours is not. You can either live with it, or source a new engine. Fortunately for you, they're not too terribly pricey.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

A leakdown test can help nail down that the actual cause is the ring sealing issue, if so it's about like driving a rotary.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”