Help with 2003 Z not starting

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
jaym5k
Car: 2003 NISSAN 350Z TOURING

Hi Everyone, I am in great need of any ideas of why my 6 speed 03' touring will not start.

Some info:

- Car has been sitting for about 2 years (key needs to be reprogrammed at dealer maybe?)
- New battery
- Already tried replacing starter

In the video you can see that the engine does not turn over at all, it just makes a single click/flap noise when turning the key all the way.

Any help is much appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Hate to say it, but it sounds seized. Put a cheater bar on the crank and see if it will turn by hand.

jaym5k

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:02 pm
Hate to say it, but it sounds seized. Put a cheater bar on the crank and see if it will turn by hand.
Thanks, ill give this a try and see what happens. I can get to it without taking off the front bumper right? Do you know the size of the socket needed? ill probably have to order one for my breaker bar.

jaym5k

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:02 pm
I was able to turn the engine over pretty easily with a breaker bar.. nice to know its not locked up but the mystery continues..

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check voltage drop across the battery while turning the key. Healthy starters will generally suck a healthy battery down to about 9.5~10.5V while cranking. If there's a normal-to-big drop then the starter is shot, it's sucking current but not turning the engine (probably a shorted brush). Replace the starter.

If there's little or no drop across the battery, check voltage at the starter main terminal. If there's a big drop there then the problem is in the wiring. If there's still little or no drop, then either the starter is bad (probably an open brush) or the solenoid isn't working properly. Measure voltage to the solenoid terminal, you should see a solid 12V when the key is turned. If you see a big drop then there's a problem upstream in the ignition switch, starter relay, or wiring. If there's little or no drop then the solenoid or starter is bad, replace the starter.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”