Help! Unibody QX4 damage. I'm scared!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
dougdude
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

All,I am little relieved I found this forum!!!

I recently purchased a 2001 Infiniti QX4 and absolutely love it! I also recently almost totalled it! I have over 13k of damage. Mainly it is so expensive because all parts are going to be brand new Infiniti parts. However, I'm not concerned about the cost... I'm really concerned because they told me there is minor Unibody damage. It was a front right colision... meaning most of the damage is in the front... mainly around the front right headlamp. It did NOT get into the engine thank goodness! This whole unibody damage is scaring the heck out of me though. The shop I took it too apparently are frame experts. They have 3 machines with lasers and they said they can get it back to factory specs within less than millimeters. I've always been told that after a wreck the car will never be the same. Is this basically true? The shop acts like the car will be just as good as it was before the wreck. I'm concerned about regular mechanical problems after having the unibody damage. Does anybody have any experience with unibody damage?... doesn't have to be experience on a qx4... just in general.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone to calm my nerves and tell me it is possible to have fixed correctly if they know what they are doing. I have confidence in the shop I have it at as they are part of the Hendrick Auto Group.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doug

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I thought the QX4 was a body on frame design, not a unibody. If so, be sure the frame rails are checked in all planes meticuously from front to back as it will absorb most of the energy.

dougdude
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I thought the same as you until I read about the unibody frame on the qx4 and the body shop informed me. Check the frame rails??? I guess I will have to have the shop check that... hopefully they will regardless of what I tell them... I would hope they know to check anyway!

Thanks, Doug

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Well, if it is a unibody, precise measurement is still required. There won't be any frame rails though.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I also thought it was body on frame design until i learned otehrwise on NICO.

Question is how much you trust that shop?

Fred...:)

NISTECH

I posted a rather lengthy reply in this thread about your situation but for some reason it is gone. so here is a simple summary.

It can be repaired properly if the shop is good.

NISTECH

aww you hit submit twice the reply is in your other thread.

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

QX4 brochure says it's a MonoFrame, and I remember someone says it's still a Body-on-Frame, just a little modification added to it therefore got a fancier name...

leeQX4
Car: 04 I35/03 G35

To sum all of this up, you might as well take your truck to a Nissan/Infiniti Body shop. I don't trust anyone else, even if that means dishing out more money. You will thank yourself in the future if you plan on keeping your truck for a few more years.

NISTECH

It is still a unibody there is no frame on this vehicle. the closest thing it has to a frame is the cage around the engine compartment. lay down on the ground slide under the vehicle and look at the floor you will find there is no seperate frame on this vehicle.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”