HELP!! Trouble with my M56. Starts then shuts off

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
tpettis0505

Can anyone help me with this? I have a 2011 M56 with 68000 miles. I purchased this vehicle in 2011 with only 7 miles. Yesterday after leaving work I drove home (15 mile drive), parked in the driveway and turned my vehicle off. Approximately 30 min later I decide to go to the store. I started the car and it immediately shuts off. I tried to restart it and it continue to do the same thing. I tried a 3rd time just to get the same results. "Now I’m freaking out" lol.... On my 4th attempt I decided to give it some gas. So after the car start up, I pushed the accelerator to raise the rpm up around 3k for about 10 seconds. I took my foot off the gas and the car didn't shut off. I drove to the store with no problems restarting the car to return home. Can anyone tell me what's going on with this car and how I can fix it? What will cause this car to do something like this? Has anyone experience the same? Any help would be highly appreciate. Thanks

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

No check-engine light or other warning lights?

Sounds like it may be heat soak related. When after driving the car and then shutting it off the engine can actually get hotter since it is not getting airflow around it and the coolant has stopped circulating.

This can become an issue if your throttle bodies are real dirty and/or the cars idle needs to be set higher. I would start trying to resolve this by cleaning the throttle bodies. Don't unplug them. The idle set (Idle Air Volume Learn) can be done next if the issue is not fixed with the cleaning, or if you just want to. There are manual procedures to complete it, or it can be done with a capable scan tool.

tpettis0505

No. No warning lights or check engine light is on.

Do you have instructions on how to clean the throttle body or can you post a link?

M56STL1
Car: 2012 M56

My M56 (2012/ 40k miles) has done the exact same about 5 times in last few weeks. Only happens when car has seen driven and sits for 10 mins or more, but before engine/coolant have fully cooled. Takes 3 or 4 attempts to get it restarted.

Debonair

tpettis0505 wrote:No. No warning lights or check engine light is on.

Do you have instructions on how to clean the throttle body or can you post a link?
This is a pretty good one I found.

http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-insta ... odies.html

M56STL1
Car: 2012 M56

I clean my throttle bodies over the weekend. Idle seem to be a bit smoother at cold Start, and have not had any issues or even slight hesitation during warm starts as I had pre-cleaning. This seems to have addressed the problem, and will likely need to become a regular 30,000 mile maintenance item. Thanks for the tip Debonair!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Not sure if true, but I heard that on the Y50 it was sensitive (which is why I never cleaned it). I used to clean my 99 Maxima TB every 30kmi or so as well.

So everything is good?

Debonair

M56STL1 wrote:I clean my throttle bodies over the weekend. Idle seem to be a bit smoother at cold Start, and have not had any issues or even slight hesitation during warm starts as I had pre-cleaning. This seems to have addressed the problem, and will likely need to become a regular 30,000 mile maintenance item. Thanks for the tip Debonair!
Awesome! Glad to hear it's running better.
IlyaKol wrote:Not sure if true, but I heard that on the Y50 it was sensitive (which is why I never cleaned it). I used to clean my 99 Maxima TB every 30kmi or so as well.

So everything is good?
On cars with cable operated throttle bodies you could just flip the butterfly open and clean it real easy. With motor operated throttle bodies you should be a little more careful and in my opinion not to force it open. Some people still force it open with no issue, just like some people unplug it with no issue. Other people force it open and have issues. And when it's unplugged sometimes it has to be relearned using the air volume relearn procedure which can be tricky. So cleaning the front and back without unplugging it or forcing it open should have no negative affect on it.

A clean throttle body is actually pretty important in my book. It was actually the first bit of maintenance I did to my car when I bought it since there typically is a 99% chance it has never been done.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Agreed. I used to clean it on my Maxima because it was cable operated. I haven't touched it on my M's. What do you mean 'back'? So you suggest still removing the bolts and removing the TB? The front of my TB (directly where the intake tubing ends) was actually pretty clean at 65kmi...don't know what the other side of the butterfly valve looks like.

Debonair

IlyaKol wrote:Agreed. I used to clean it on my Maxima because it was cable operated. I haven't touched it on my M's. What do you mean 'back'? So you suggest still removing the bolts and removing the TB? The front of my TB (directly where the intake tubing ends) was actually pretty clean at 65kmi...don't know what the other side of the butterfly valve looks like.
By the "back" I mean the inside of the butterfly which is not visible from the outside. The other side probably looks cleaner or the same as the front. You can remove the bolts and throttle body without unplugging the harness. From what I understand (disclaimer :biggrin: ) As long as the harness is not unplugged or the motor forcefully moved there should be no issue or calibration needed. Only do what you are comfortable with of course.

Ilya

Gotcha. I'll likely just wipe it clean with a rag from the front and back then.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”