Help... too... much... conflicting...info.

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Snarlynx

Can someone set me strait? The more I read posts, the more I get confused. :confused:

Some say the rb25det will essentially bolt in to a s13 and s14(espesially if you have someone make custom A/C and power steering lines and convert your harness for you) - Some say it will keep your car off the road for 6 mos.

Some say 550hp is possible on stock internals and to get 400hp, one would just need a good clutch, FMIC, better turbo and to turn up the boost. - some say there are more parts you need to buy.

some say it'll irrevocably hurt your handling, others say you can get around it with a good suspension set up.

some say that the relitive cost for 400hp on a rb and sr20det is the same because of the need for bigger or forged almost everything in the sr - and some say the RB will still cost quite a bit more.

To take the variables down to a minimum just say...

- Power goal - low 12's (12.0-12.3) in full street trim with streetable but drag-biased tires.- S14 chassis- 70% street 15% autocross/track 10% drag use and 5% drift- coilovers with the proper spring rate and proper tuning for each set up.

Thanks in advance. :)

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Ok I have ridden ina freind's 180SX with a GT-R engine in it, it rode fine. If you have an S13 an intimate knowlege of the Nissan parts bin it is bolt in, do you? You have an S14 though I have never actually seen that done so I don't know about that. The SR is a lot easier to put in, cheaper to get and cheaper to maintain than the RB. The SR can live at 400hp but you make one mistake and you kill it. past that you are dealing with sleeve overbore kits and completely re-engineering the block, fine if you have a fully equipped machine shop in your garage and a ton of coin for the parts.The RB26 can live up to 600hp, it is dicey though and like the SR you have no margin for error. Past that you might as well open a tab with HKS and Trust, you will be calling them a lot. IMO if you want 12s go with the SR. There are a lot of SR owners on this board that can give you a wish list for the timeslips you are seeking.

Snarlynx

RB25DET has never been done in a s14? Or at least so infrequently that a person familiar to the swap has never heard of it?

Now I want it even more. :)

themadscientist

no it has been done, I just have never seen one IRL to study so I am not aware of what is involved with the swap. I see being different is starting to overtake 12 second timeslips as the primary reason behind your choice of engine. Why not a VH45? Just kidding, you don't even want to to think about trying that!

Snarlynx

Ok it's like this. I've been told that geting power out of the RB25DET is easier. I want to do as much work by myself, but I don't want to take a year off of "real" college to learn how to resleave, overbore and all that stuff. And since I've seen clips within litteraly hundreds of each other, the cost difference should be negligable for the power I want. So if the cost will be the same and the effort maybe even less, why not go with the RB25DET? But I'm making sure this info is correct, the reason for this post.

Don't get me wrong though, smoking hondas, NSX's and even ZO6's and then telling them I have a skyline engine under the hood when they ask and watching their faces has crossed my mind.

Not to mention... how cool would a "BLUETOP" personalized licence plate be? :D

themadscientist

Bluetop? I don't get that one. How about 3923? In Japanese it is said like this;

3 SAN9 KU2 NI3 SAN

thank you Nissan.

Somebody had posted pics of a shop that had put an RB in an S14 if you could hookup with them they could probably shed some light on what is involved.

Snarlynx

That's pretty clever... probably a little too clever. I don't think anyone (but you) would get it.

Anyway about mine....

(credit - Cameron S. Wieldraayer for the pic)

See? the RB25DET is a bluetop. :)

Everyone is all Blacktop this or Redtop that. Now see with the Bluetop you could shut them both up. :-)

Top Speed Coupe
Car: Cars

that or they say why did that kid put a 1.6L VVL motor in that car n make it RWD.

Snarlynx

... which when they ask why I'd do something so stupid and costly I can pop the hood and show them the beauty that is the skyline motor. :-)

P.S. I'm a fan of Mega Man too. Net from Mega Man Battle is my Icon on most board sytems.

Hey!!! the licence plate "BLUBOMR" would have a cool double meaning! One more reason for the rb! Hmm....

cosmo

Snarlynx wrote:... P.S. I'm a fan of Mega Man too. Net from Mega Man Battle is my Icon on most board sytems.....

Me too! Old Mega Man games kicked *** back in the day. Remember Mega Man Soccer? I played that till my hands bled.

Snarlynx

I'm on now and you're on now so I'll just ask you now (plus for some reason it says I blocked you so I can't IM you.)

Just a couple of things....

1) is the insallation any harder in a s14? does the skyline crossmember bolt up in this situation too? (My biggest Q need to decide wich one to pick up)

2) when do the stock injectors max out?

3) can your shop re-tune the ecu to run on this 91 octane piss-water we have in Cali?

4) will you be selling "install kits" like the grumpy guy? Like custom downpipes, A/C, PS and general wiring conversion services and mount kits?

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Dropping in a RB is nice way to be different in a world of rice. But if you want torque and power availability, just save the extra cash and drop in the RB26. Trust me on this one, you'll wish you had. Your 240 will be excellent for the track, drag as well autoX.

The 26 is simply designed better right from the factory.

But just to shed a different opinion on things, if all you want is 12's. Why not just turbo your KA. With the money you save for the swap and hp mods, I could put a KA into the low 11's.

WD

Snarlynx

Hehehe.. play nice.

And the reason I personally wouldn't turbo a KA is simple. the car I would buy would probably have 80-150k miles on it. and if I was gonna swap in a low milage engine, why not a better one? Additionally as I said I don't want to get forged anything or learn how to overbore engines. I'd have to take classes to do that and have proper eqipment. Don't have the option of taking the classes (me living off my parents is dependant on me going to college full time) and don't have any hook-ups to do it for me. looking for an engine that can take a lot stock. If I don't go the RB route I will stop at 280-90whp with the SR becauce after that it's metal headgasket and forged piston time.

The reason I wouldn't drop in a rb26det is also simple. It's cost prohibitive. besides the clip being about 3-4k more, the fact that you have to use a RB25det sump to convert it to a RWD set up, converting to a single turbo as well as other custom things you have to do would put it out of my price range plus I don't wan't 10's, I want to be able to beat 99.9% of the cars on the street (12 flat in street trim) and am toying with the Idea of going the rb route. Also it seems to me that for the power I want getting the RB26DETT would be the more "ricey" option, as you so succinctly put it - as it would be thousands more for no real reason.

Again, I outlined why (being different was way down on the list) but if you have to derive self esteem by putting down other users instead of actually helping, i won't stop you. :)

9ball
Car: gamb|ing at pool

I wonder why the RB25DET would be tougher in a S14 since that's the body they're intended for anyway?

And to the guy earlier saying numbers in Japanese. Were you implying the numbers had something to do with the name Nissan? Nissan is sort of a contraction. One of our students said it means "Japan made." Also 9 is kyu, not ku.

themadscientist

9ball wrote:I wonder why the RB25DET would be tougher in a S14 since that's the body they're intended for anyway?

And to the guy earlier saying numbers in Japanese. Were you implying the numbers had something to do with the name Nissan? Nissan is sort of a contraction. One of our students said it means "Japan made." Also 9 is kyu, not ku.

Are you stupid? You must have the special fantasy model S14 with the RB25, tard.

You can use numbers to say lots of things in Japanese and none of it is perfect, it's numbers fool. Ever heard this one, 1919, probably not.

9ball
Car: gamb|ing at pool

Please excuse me for the brain fart on my last post. I don't know why I said the Rb25 was intended for the S14. For some reason I was thinking R33. I guess the S14 is to the Silvia what the R33 is to the Skyline, the inbetween one.

themadscientist

In that case I apologize for being so caustic, in my defence I had been bantering with Stephnic on the skyline board right before that post so I was in a mood.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

themadscientist wrote:Bluetop? I don't get that one. How about 3923? In Japanese it is said like this;

3 SAN9 KU2 NI3 SAN

thank you Nissan.

Somebody had posted pics of a shop that had put an RB in an S14 if you could hookup with them they could probably shed some light on what is involved.

You think that's clever? Did you know that the default door code on the 3rd generation Maximas was Start, 5523?

Think about that one.... in Japanese :)

themadscientist

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

themadscientist wrote:17,1

You'll have to help me out. I don't know Japanese. I just know the numbers 2, 3, and 5 :)

meggala

if you dont want forged any thing grab and rb 25 which need a rebuild and rebuild it with rb 26 n1 pistons they are a lower compression ratio it should run ok on on your 91 octane but no boost over 12-14psi and you need to run a cooler peg the timing at 12-15o should be ok just depends on how biga turbo you slap on to the thingit will runn rich like this so you might find it easier to run a power fc for tuning spend the money once as the rb 25 has boost cuts afm cuts etc. but is a better motor this wil cost less than a s/hand crate rb 26 I think.cheersmeggala

hey WD when did you become a god here :)good to see

themadscientist

I Na, I (good isn't it, good)It is really reaching though, shortening "ichi" and "nana"you can say cool stuff but it's tough to be pithy.One guy has 474 "shi" 7 "shi" (die 7 die) and it has many times.

meggala

the rb 25 hits the boost cut at around 12 psi with the stock ecu the afm is good for around 350 hp.by pegging the timing I mean retarding it abit if your are using lower octane fuel. the stock timing is set a 15 o you can run higher if you are running better fuel .cheers

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”