Help?

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

I hope this is the right sub forum... but anyway.I recently got my hands on a ADS Tech DVD Xpress, and I was wondering how i could use this as a device to record my xbox 360.I have searched google and got nothing :/ But I basically want to use it as a Xbox > DvD Xpress > computer, type thing.I have no tv in my room and I also have no VHS box so i really need to find a way to make it run like above. I want to help you help me, so i wall answer any questions asked. Criticize me if needed I've got a flame suit, but please All I would like is help.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Most capture devices introduce a delay. I tried running an XBOX through a PC's capture port before, and unless it was run in a very small window, there was a delay of nearly a couple of seconds. Perhaps a high end model might fare better, but a quick search on google for your device indicated someone experienced a 2 second delay. Its possible the computer's specs may have some impact on the amount of delay as well, but any delay could impact your ability to play competetively.

Potential solutions:

A. If you really want or need the ability to record your game play, then you would likely need to split the signal prior to the capture device and run one signal straight to your monitor and the other into the capture device.

B. If all you need out of this is the ability to display your 360 on your monitor, then just get a XBOX 360 VGA cable.

In both cases, if you need to share the display between the PC and 360, then you'll likely need a video switch. A KVM switch would be a good choice). But basic KVM switches don't switch audio. I ran a set-up like this before and it required a little bit higher end switch that used keyboard hotkeys to do the switching. It worked well though and wasn't a big deal since the keyboard was right there anyways.

Another option might be available if your PC has a DVI/HDMI out and your monitor has a DVI/HDMI-in and a VGA in. Most monitors like this have a source switch so you can choose beteen the digital and analog inputs. I ran it this way on a Samsung 204B and it worked beautifully as it eliminated the clutter of a KVM. However, the monitor can't switch the audio so we used 2 sets of speakers. Not a big deal for us as the subwoofer boxes fit neatly behind our drawers under the desk and the satellites fit just fine behind the monitors. The only reason we didn't really try to find an option to switch the audio was because we still used our second monitor for PC stuff while gaming sometimes and we wanted to keep our audio available.

More recently, we upgraded our primary monitor to an Asus VW266H which has more inputs but we still only use the VGA and DVI inputs. It appears to have the ability to switch the audio (I haven't tried it) which would output to either the built-in speakers or the headphone out (which you could connect your own set of speakers to. Such a set-up could be ideal, but unless your monitor is capable of doing this already, it would require a new monitor.

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

THanks for the reply. But I've since gotten Extremely pissed and gave up on it for now, all i wanted to do was record gameplay and upload it. but i guess i'll get a dazzle and a splitter and work from there.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”