Help, smoking electronics

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Omez
Car: Nissan 300ZX TT 91

My car is currently in winter storage and has been for some while. As it stands there Im doing some interior improvements.

Today I needed the door panels off, and thus needed to get my windows down. As my battery was dead from not beeing charged in the cold I hooked the battery up to a battery charger.

As I turned the charger on I heared a buzzing sound coming from the top rear corner of the driver side door. Thought it was werd but I just needed 2 secs of power to get the windows down.

As I turned the ignition (from off to aux) the whipers whent crazy and wiped at max speed eventhough the selector was on off. I hurried to turn the ignition off and turned the charger off. As I got back in the car it was smoky and smelled like fried wires.

Now Im sure that it was probably the battery that caused some sort of sourge so that is dropped out of the car, but with a new battery (charged) I still get the whipers and smell.

Am I screwed? my worst fear is that the ECU is burned and no longer usable.

Any tips appriciated. Where should I start looking? Is it something I can do or should I get it to my local nissan dealership ?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

You sure you had the battery charger connected properly? Sounds similar to a reverse polarity issue which seems to be a nightmare to repair.

Omez
Car: Nissan 300ZX TT 91

Yeah Im sure that it was connected properly

leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

I was going to say the exact same thing. It sure sounds like the charger was hooked up wrong to the battery - poles reversed.

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Another suggestion, I would go through your whole wiper blade circuit and look for any exposed/melted wires. A short could definitely cause this kind of problem.

If you would like, I could print you out a wiring diagram for the wiper blades and post it up here. I probably would have to wait til spring break is over though.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”