HELP!! rotate driverside cam without removing topend??

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
newby45
Car: 91 Q45

I think I just made my timing guide 10x harder! I have zip ties at the crank sprocket. cam rotated clockwise on me putting tension on the top guide portion of the chain. I don't believe it jumped any links. bottom guide is on. cant install top guide due to chain tightness. Is there a way to rotate that cam enough to install the top guide? passenger side guide is completed. just need torqued.Once guides on, easy way to check timing is still accurate? Can the top cam cover be removed like the front chain cover? just loosen bolts, remove a few items and pull out? Please tell me all's well. Or it's a simple procedure.

newby45
Car: 91 Q45

This is what i did. I used my hand with a towel to push the middle of the chain downward effectively pulling the cam back, then I zip tied that area to keep it from going back. this allowed me to place the guide in and with a little more nudging, was able to set the guide and bolt it down. With the tensioner in and bolted down, the bottom end of the chain, right at the crank sprocket, looks a little loose. am i a link off on the cam side? definitely not on the crank side. that area was zip tied tight. Probably a little too tight. Is there a way to tell if off by a link? Can i rotate the engine safely with the front open like it is? I definitely do not want to bend anything if it is off by a link or 2. Or will the chain tighten once the tensioner is under pressure with oil?

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”