Help reclining rear seats on a '05 pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
pyrophilus
Car: 1997 Pathfinder SE Offroad
2001 Pathfinder LE
2005 Pathfinder LE
2014 Pathfinder SL Premium

Hello,

I have a '05 Pathfinder LE which is 24 hours old... Hee hee...I have no problems with the vehicle, even the esoteric navigation system... However...

I CAN'T FIGURE out how to recline the CENTER portion of the 2nd row seating...

The manual only tells you how to recline the outer 40's of the 40/20/40 seats (which is same as my '01 LE), but it says nothing about the center portion... I looked at the hinges for the center, and it DOES seem like it was designed to recline, but IT JUST WON'T recline back.

I would really appreciate any help with this matter.

Thank you.

-Sage

timmack
Car: 2002 Beige Pathfinder SE

page 1-10 of the manual looks like its the same as the outer 40's to me? maybe im looking at it wrong, seems theres a pulltab for the center too.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/n...r.pdf

^^^so ya dont have to walk all the way out to the car, lol.

timmack

oops, scratch that. that just lays 'em flat now that i look at it twice.

pyrophilus
2001 Pathfinder LE
2005 Pathfinder LE

if it were intuitive, you'd be able to pull the tab and recline the back, like how the "lever" for the 2nd row on the R50's do double duty (recline, or tilt forward)...

If anyone has an idea, I'd really really appreciate any help. I am driving my self nuts. When I had my '97, from the time I purchased it new until 1 week before I traded it in for my '01, I did not know that the front seats could lay flat against the rear bench!

I am hoping that I would figure this out in less than 4 years this time...

timmack

maybe its just not designed to go back for some reason, like due to the fact theres only a lap belt and not a 3 point belt? sounds stupid but who knows. wish i could help ya.

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

pyrophilus wrote:if it were intuitive, you'd be able to pull the tab and recline the back, like how the "lever" for the 2nd row on the R50's do double duty (recline, or tilt forward)...

If anyone has an idea, I'd really really appreciate any help. I am driving my self nuts. When I had my '97, from the time I purchased it new until 1 week before I traded it in for my '01, I did not know that the front seats could lay flat against the rear bench!

I am hoping that I would figure this out in less than 4 years this time...
I saw a pic of an r50 from Japan with the seats in that position -- it's VERY comfortable.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

Koukis - the R50's rear seats do decline. The lever to lay'em flat also lets them recline. It is kind of comfy (the few times I've sat back there) although my mother in law hates when I do that.

I usually like my back seats flat or reclined back all the way so the headrests don't block my rearview mirror.

KoukiS14

I'm def. aware sir. . I'm referring to the idea that the front headrests come off, and then the front seat lays flush with the rear making an excellent recliner (you sit in the back, and your legs go into the front). I think you'd have one very comfortable passenger on a road trip (may not be legal).

SnowSurfLax

OH!

I must ahve read through it too fast. They started filtering our internet and I only get 5 mins of "quota time" at a shot.

Damn, that sounds slick! I gotta try that. Makes the drive in movies kind of appealing...

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

SnowSurfLax wrote:OH! Makes the drive in movies kind of appealing...
dude i love the drive in! The benefits are ridiculous - it's cheaper, more comfortable (if u have a QX4) , you can bring your own food, the stereo is better, and you can do whatever you want (smoke, talk, etc)

pyrophilus
2001 Pathfinder LE
2005 Pathfinder LE

Actually, the R51's DO have a 3-point belt on the center of the 2nd row.

I am begining to conclude that the center 20% of the 2nd row does not recline, albeit when I look at the hinge for the backrest, it does look like it will go back another 10-15degrees.

As for the R50, the front seats laying flat was great. It was the best feature when I was dating my wife. We'd go to a scenic lookout, park the car, lay the front seats flat, and it's like a nice lounge with a spectacular view...

Unfortunately, Nissan got rid of that in the R51's...

-Sage

fueler

ill have to try this... i'm guessing you need to slide the front seats forward, and take the headrests off and lean them back......

KoukiS14

fueler wrote:ill have to try this... i'm guessing you need to slide the front seats forward, and take the headrests off and lean them back......
That is correct. . I dunno where the pic is I stole from Nissan of Japan, but it gave me the idear.

KoukiS14

SnowSurfLax wrote:OH!

I must ahve read through it too fast. They started filtering our internet and I only get 5 mins of "quota time" at a shot.

Damn, that sounds slick! I gotta try that. Makes the drive in movies kind of appealing...
To put it lightly, you could prolly get your bone on in thar. . lolIt was designed to do it. . that's the cool part.

SnowSurfLax

Yeah, though people get then see my *** doing all that work...

Nah, tried that once when I first bought it. Not comfortable. Even if you made the recliner, I think it'd only be comfortable if she was on top.

KoukiS14

I was able to engage in activities inside an S13 and S14 240sx -- not at the same time. Surely an R50 can't be any worse. .. haha

fueler

SnowSurfLax wrote:Nah, tried that once when I first bought it. Not comfortable. Even if you made the recliner, I think it'd only be comfortable if she was on top.
Welcome to the club! But I agree - the QX4 is uncomfortable for that!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”