Help please, what to do with my exhaust

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
GreggC
Car: 2004 Frontier King Cab SC

Hey guys,
2004 Frontier V-6 VG33ER
Im experiencing high fuel consumption, low power and I have received a check engine light, scanner code was catalytic converter.
I believe I have one or more cats that need replacing.
Looks like there are 4 catalytic converters, my questions;
Can I replace the entire exhaust with out cats ??
Is there a header system out there for my truck ??
What have you guys done short of spending $2k for an entire new factory Nissan exhaust ??
Thanks
Gregg

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hey Gregg, welcome aboard.

If you're not in an emissions state, then you can [theoretically] remove the cats and carry on.

I believe Gibson makes an exhaust system for the Frontier, but I haven't looked in quite a while (we had one on our 05 Frontier).

Headers? Not sure, but that's a simple search. If you just want to replace the cats, that's not implausible - simply buy aftermarket replacement cats and have a local muffler shop cut / weld / replace.

Hope that helps - LOVE the SC Frontiers!

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Wouldn’t recommend headers. The problem with removing the catalytic converters it’s possible the engine performance will be effective. Also down the road it could be difficult to trade or sell the vehicle. If your wanting to just see if that’s the problem if the converters are removable you can install a test pipe. Another option if the rest of the exhaust system is in good condition it might be possible to install aftermarket converters. Some options would be cut the converters off and weld the aftermarket converters on. If the converters currently have bolt on flanges you can purchase aftermarket flanges that can be clamped or welded to the exhaust pipe. Aftermarket instead of Nissan OEM exhaust systems are available. You can check a local parts store or look online. Just an opinion over the years I have had good luck dealing with. Mac auto parts - online. Also walker exhaust has a good selection of exhaust parts

WWB7
Car: 2016 Nissan Frontier 2.5L Auto-Trans

Hi, I know I am very late to this, but I just joined. Did you ever find any headers for your Nissan Frontier? I am looking too. I have a 2016 2.5L Automatic Frontier and I can't find anything... I hope you found something. Thanks for posting your question.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Go online - Carid auto parts. They may have a complete exhaust system or some parts?

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”