HELP, PLEASE! Rear door lock is stuck!

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
amyrox
Car: 2010 Nissan Cube, 6 speed manual transmission

I'm at my wits end! I've been battling this rear hatch lock for days without progress! The cable was attached correctly in the handle, the electrical is fine, because I can hear it trying to unlock, but the lock will not open from the striker! I have all of the interior trim, door handle and parts removed, but gaining access to the actual locking mechanism is impossible! Also, I've searched for days for info regarding the actual lock assembly and/or repair information, but I cannot find anything that's been helpful or any close up pictures to help me figure out what to do next! I SERIOUSLY DO NOT want to take my car to the dealer, because honestly I think they are shady and not knowledgeable in the first place. I'm not dumb, I actually worked in an auto assembly plant for 15 years, but this door is totally blowing my mind! PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO! This may help: 2010 CUBE FSB
I had this problem and could not figure out how to get the door open to fix it. By pure luck I stumbled onto a solution. I found the wiring connector to the actuator has a small white/clear round (looks like the end of a small straw) device embedded in the connector. Just below the two green dots that are facing you when you look in thru the access area, after you have taken off the interior rear door panel.

I don't know what this is but It seemed like something to mess with, so I poked it and it went in about 4mm. Kind of like a miniature breaker. Now the actuator engages just fine.
Once I removed the assembly, I could figure out what happened. There is a light clock spring that retracts a pin allowing the door handle cable to engage. That spring became misplaced/unsprung. FYI, the lock assembly is actually made by Renault.
I believe I have figured out how to fix the problem. I have a 2009 and it had been giving me fits, working sometimes and then not other times. I took the actuator off (the actuator is the part that the latch on the door goes into) off and sprayed brake cleaner into the holes in the back of it, thus cleaning off the contacts! So far it has worked great! I hope this helps.

amyrox

Oh thank you sooooo much! I'm going to give that a try right now, keep your fingers crossed for me! I appreciate your suggestion more than you know!
Thanks again!

amyrox

It didn't work. On top of the actuator housing /lock assembly there is a plastic piece that feels like it should turn, is it supposed to? And is there an emergency unlock anywhere?

amyrox

HELP, PLEASE! Rear door lock is stuck! 2010 Cube, 6 spd
My original post was in the Cube forum... I did get some advice about what to try, but unfortunately it did not work! :frown: I really want to cry! Does anyone else have advice about what I can do?
PostSun Sep 20, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm at my wits end! I've been battling this rear hatch lock for days without progress! The cable was attached correctly in the handle, the electrical is fine, because I can hear it trying to unlock, but the lock will not open from the striker! I have all of the interior trim, door handle and parts removed, but gaining access to the actual locking mechanism is impossible! Also, I've searched for days for info regarding the actual lock assembly and/or repair information, but I cannot find anything that's been helpful or any close up pictures to help me figure out what to do next! I SERIOUSLY DO NOT want to take my car to the dealer, because honestly I think they are shady and not knowledgeable in the first place. I'm not dumb, I actually worked in an auto assembly plant for 15 years, but this door is totally blowing my mind! PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP?
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

amyrox

Here is the rest of the conversation, sorry I couldn't quote it, I had to cut and paste...

Welcome to NICO! This may help: 2010 CUBE FSB

I had this problem and could not figure out how to get the door open to fix it. By pure luck I stumbled onto a solution. I found the wiring connector to the actuator has a small white/clear round (looks like the end of a small straw) device embedded in the connector. Just below the two green dots that are facing you when you look in thru the access area, after you have taken off the interior rear door panel.

I don't know what this is but It seemed like something to mess with, so I poked it and it went in about 4mm. Kind of like a miniature breaker. Now the actuator engages just fine.

Once I removed the assembly, I could figure out what happened. There is a light clock spring that retracts a pin allowing the door handle cable to engage. That spring became misplaced/unsprung. FYI, the lock assembly is actually made by Renault.

I believe I have figured out how to fix the problem. I have a 2009 and it had been giving me fits, working sometimes and then not other times. I took the actuator off (the actuator is the part that the latch on the door goes into) off and sprayed brake cleaner into the holes in the back of it, thus cleaning off the contacts! So far it has worked great! I hope this helps.

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 6:52 pm
Oh thank you sooooo much! I'm going to give that a try right now, keep your fingers crossed for me! I appreciate your suggestion more than you know!
Thanks again!

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 7:58 pm
It didn't work. On top of the actuator housing /lock assembly there is a plastic piece that feels like it should turn, is it supposed to? And is there an emergency unlock anywhere?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Can you post pictures of what your situation currently looks like?
I would imagine you could just grab the rod and work it back and forth until it unlocks...

amyrox

It's actually my rear hatch door, and it's crazy, but there are not any rods in this door whatsoever! It is crazy, but this door does not have a keyhole in the handle, and because of the metal framework, the actuator is in a total blindspot inside the rear hatch itself. Also, this door opens sideways and the three screws that hold the actuator in place are shot from the edge of the door that I have zero access to, because the lock will not open at all. I'm praying that I don't have to actually attempt to disconnect the wire harnesses, ground wires and the washer hoses to see if I can remove the bolts from the door hinges on the other side to get the door open or off!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

amyrox, please do not not start new threads for ongoing topics. While I realize you're desperate to get this fixed, creating multiple threads for the same problem causes confusion and can be counterproductive.

Threads merged.

amyrox

Rogue,
Honestly the last thing I wanted to do was upset anybody... my thinking was that perhaps I'd be able to have a larger audience and therefore more people's ideas about what I might be able to do to fix my car in the general forum. I apologize for upsetting you or anyone else, I just really need help with my car.
Please accept my apology..

bobsmith
Car: Toyota Out lander.

you need to contact any mechanic , they can do it in only few dollars.

danXaz
Car: 2009 Cube

Solution found! I couldnt find anything with pictures or videos. Only posts that said people paid a dealer $400 to chisel out the bad part.
So I tried it and it worked, then made a video. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_LZORnHik

Dan

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Good deal. Thanks for posting the video!

Romvert
Car: 2010 cube s

I'm in the process of trying to lube the hell out of it before I start chiseling into it, in hopes that it will somehow break loose. Wishful thinking...

Return to “Cube Forum”