Help! Oil in spark plug hole!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
CireNow

Help! When I pull my spark plug wire I found the spark plug full of oil. I check the gasket and it looked ok. The plug was very tight. I found grooves in the plug hole. Cracks? Could the previous own screwed the plug in so tight that it cracked the head? Help!

_______________CireNow93' 240sx Fastback

Daunttless

Actually its probably your piston rings are shot or about to be shot and its allowing a lot of blow by of oil.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

how many miles are on the car? have the valve guides checked, that coud be the other cause and would be a cheaper fix, its tedious work to replace them but nowhere near the $$ as an engine rebuild. do a compression check firstand see if anything is abnormal, then go from there.

id put better odds on the piston rings though. its more likely to get oil on the plugs than bad valve guides unfortunately.

bruinbear714

It could be a lot of things.. is the oil on the INSIDE of the cylinder, or on the outside where the spark plug wire boot connects?

If its on the INSIDE, it can be your piston rings like dauntless said, or it could be your valve stem seals.

If its on the OUTSIDE, it could be valve cover seals, spark plug seals, etc etc.

Is your exhaust blowing out blue smoke? If so, then you will need a rebuild.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

bruinbear - where are you from?

bruinbear714

i'm from southern cali area

CireNow

The oil is OUTSIDE the cylinder where the spark plug wire boot connects. The oil can only get there via the gasket between the valve cover and plug well right? Unless the plug well is crack? I'll replace the gasket and go from there I guess.

My car has 132,000 miles. I have not noticed any smoke.

Thanks for all the replies. Not driving my 240sx sucks!

________________________CireNow'93 240sx

240SXy
Car: 1993 240SX coupe

I had the same problem, with oil on the wire/boot on top. I replaced the gasket and it hasn't come back in about two months. Good Luck.

brage

Can't believe you guys didn't ask him if the oil was inside our outside the plug hole :D Sounds to me like a vc gasket - good luck.

stickgoat

Valve cover gasket fo' sheezy.

When the spark plugs on my Probe were swimming in oil, it meant the VCGs were shot. Replacing them and the plugs solved the problem and the car felt so much better afterwards.

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

Didn't catch what car it is, but common with the Q45 for oil to get into the spark plug hole due to leaky vcg. Small leak doesn't hurt but should be taken care of... vgc on the passenger side from Dealer$650---- no gasket just sealant.............:thumbup

Turb0wned

all i did was replace the valve cover gasket and it was fine after that

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”