Help! Need San Francisco area shop for '90 Q45

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Q45_90_NorCalif
Car: 1990 Q45

I started a recent thread in the Infiniti Online Mechanic section titled "1990 Q45 - Transmission mission". With the help of the feedback I received I have decided to replace the transmission and the radiator and the cam guides. I will also add a tranny cooler.

The problem is that the shops and dealers I've spoken to in the SF Bay Area that are willing to do the job will only do it if I replace the chain with the cam guides. This adds $200 in hardware costs and +/- $1,000 in labor. From what I've read the chain is not necessary. They almost never break or wear out.

My best option so far seems to be to ship the car to San Diego and have Jerry Tucker do the work. It costs $475 to ship the car each way. I don't have the time to drive to SD (8hrs. 1 way). Even spending close to $1,000 for shipping Jerry's price to do the whole job is $500 less than any other price I can find and he comes with very high recommendations.

I can't believe there isn't someone in the Bay Area who can do this job and really knows these cars. Does anyone have any suggestions? If not I will probably ship to SD on Monday.

Thanks,

David

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

David I moved your new thread to "general Chat", to get a bigger audience than "Infinti Chat" were you put it originally, since you are in kinda hurry for an answer.

Fred...:)

Alan
Car: Cars, cars, scooters

Good idea Fred. Souzain (spelling?) went to Frontier for his tranny, and seemed happy, if not elated. Hopefully, he will see your post and reply. I'm way up in Mendocino Cty, a real "no man's (person's) land for Q repair. Good luck. Gee I thought the on line mechanic disapeared in the last board remodel...I better go take a look. Good luck, Alan

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

$475 is alot to shell out each way for sending it to SD, why not drive it there, fly back (for no more than $150 bucks) and than fly back to pick it up. Two tanks of gas and 150 bucks in flights.....

Return to “General Chat”