Help! My Versa Stalls!

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Aaronchem
Car: Nissan Versa

I own two Versa. A 2007 that I gave to my wife and a 2008. Both are the S model and both are automatic. The problem comes with the 2008 (only 6000 miles). When it is below freezing, the car dies when I come to a stop (about 20% of the time). Even if the car is warmed up---like after a one hour on the Interstate! The car just stalls and a few of the lights come on...battery, service engine soon, power steering, etc... I put the trans into "P", turn the ignition off then back on, and poof...everything is back to normal! I took it to the dealership, and of course it didn't do it when they were in the car. At first it was just an annoyance, but this morning it happened when I was in heavy stop-n-go traffic on the interstate, and it nearly caused me to get into a huge wreck!

What could possibly be wrong! Otherwise, I love this little car!

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

First off, welcome to Nico!

Secondly, please visit your dealership again and tell them the problem is reoccurring. Tell them to check it out regardless if you can prove it or not, customer service should be #1. Get back to us.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Also, you might want to put in a call to Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-NISSAN1 and let them know what is going on. Customer satisfaction (and more imporantly, safety) are VERY important to Nissan, so it's always good to make sure they know what is going on so that they, if necessary, can poke and prod the dealer themselves.

Aaronchem

Brought it into the dealership this afternoon and "luckily" it did it several times for the guy who writes up the work orders. He was totally baffled and never saw anything like it. He called in the lead tech, who just shrugged his shoulders and immediately started trying to figure out what it could be. The weird thing is, neither the engine light nor the service light goes on during normal driving, so the computers aren't picking up the problem, which is going to make it very hard to diagnose. I now am driving a courtesy Versa, which is cool, but it looks like I'll have it for at least a week until they figure this thing out. I like it, but it isn't a hatch-back...so it feels like I'm driving just a regular sedan. But as long as I'm not praying the car isn't going to stall and drift into another car in stop-n-go traffic or at a red-light, I guess I can't complain.

Get well soon, little dark-blue hatchback!!!!

I'll post what the problem is when it gets diagnosed. The fact that this is an extreme safety hazard may mean a recall in the future.

jfanaselle
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL, 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I wonder if this is some sort of derivative of the fuel pump issue?

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

Nissan recalled the 05-07 Altima's and a few 07 sentra's for that same problem. I wonder if it an engine mapping problem that require just a reprogramming? That is what the fix for recalled Altima's and Sentra's was.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

at least the dealership is taking care of you... Most of these types of horror stories on here are accompanied by dealerships treating you like you're 'special'...

Aaronchem

Well, they replaced the throttle body, and that has appeared to fix the problem. My wife's Versa needs an exhaust clip replaced...hopefully, this will be the last time either of these vehicles needs anything more than general maintenance for the next 100,000 miles.

Octoberrevel
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa Note

I realize I'm responding to a post that is 8 years old, but this is the same problem, different year.
We bought my daughter a new 2015 Versa Note, it is less than a year old. The other day, while stopped at a light in heavy traffic, (in very cold weather) her car died. All the dummy lights went on and scared her half to death. She put it in park then turned it back on and it came back to life. Seems like a problem that reoccurs with Nissan from what I've been reading here. We bought a new car for our daughter so that she would be safe wherever she was and wouldn't have to deal with it dying on some road somewhere. The fact that a brand new car does this is very stressful news.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

I wouldn't give up on it based on the post of one owner, who apparently got the problem resolved within five days. Do the same thing he did, and take it to the dealer. If it's brand new, they should take care of it. And for what it's worth, we've had four of them and never had this problem.

packguy88
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa

I wanted to chime in here about this issue.

My car has stalled maybe every other month while stopped and could never be duplicated at the dealership. Three weeks ago (3/24/2016) it happened to me again but this time more than once. I brought it to the dealership and they could not duplicate it.

Last Thursday (4/7/2016) I had stalled more than 8 times in a row, I even was able to video tape it happening and brought it to the dealership and told them to keep the car until it is fixed. 2 hours later, they called me stating they fixed the problem as they were able to duplicate the issue and get a code. All they did was reprogram the engine module. I drove about 20 miles and the car stalled at the light. So i brought it back.

Today (4/14/2016) I picked up my fixed car. The problem is the transmission and they ended up swapping my transmission out. Fortunately for me I was still within warranty (my versa is at 58K) however this would have cost roughly 4K to fix if I wasn't.

I hope you find my experience helpful , thanks.

2015 Versa
Car: 2015 Versa Note

My 2015 Versa stalled last evening at a traffic light during rush hour, which totally freaked me out. This is the first time it happened to me, and it wasn't terribly cold out (mid 40's F). I just purchased it in early December, slightly used as a corporate fleet car, with about 42,000 miles. (I'd had my previous vehicle since 2001 and it served me very well up until the last year.) I added an extended warranty to my purchase last month as a precaution, but still very disappointed that this happened. Apparently my days of having to deal with my car in the shop aren't over like I thought they were.

Return to “Versa General Chat”