Help me why should I buy Versa?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
shadu
Car: Versa

Hi! I am new to this forums well I am willing to Lease Versa SL loaded with Bluetooth and everything in it. My concerns are is it worth buying ? what are the advantages1) How the fuel economy as i drive 90% city2) Is the CVT good at sppeds and city?3) Are the knobs on dash and steering wheel and etc Illuminated at nights other models coz we have a XB and its really hard to see the knobs at night coz its dark u cant see anything unless u have a night vision glasses4) When i build the car its didnt allow me to get the ABS if i tried the bluetooth option and vice versa so is it so???5) I have seen lot of thread abt the TPMS problems so its there anything else to be considered besides TPMS problems6) Is it noisy from inside like the road noise and engine noise???Hope u guys can answer some questions coz I like the car very much compared to Fit and Aveo but before buying just wanna have thing celared out. Ur answers will help me a lot.Thanks have a nice ride everyody

voltronguy
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Super Black

shadu wrote:1) How the fuel economy as i drive 90% city2) Is the CVT good at sppeds and city?3) Are the knobs on dash and steering wheel and etc Illuminated at nights other models coz we have a XB and its really hard to see the knobs at night coz its dark u cant see anything unless u have a night vision glasses4) When i build the car its didnt allow me to get the ABS if i tried the bluetooth option and vice versa so is it so???5) I have seen lot of thread abt the TPMS problems so its there anything else to be considered besides TPMS problems6) Is it noisy from inside like the road noise and engine noise???
My $.021. If you are super concerned about fuel economy, the CVT might not be right. We are getting about 27.5 with it in mixed suburban driving.2. I'm not sure what you mean about "good" for the CVT, but we really like it. It's not a racecar but it sure feels a lot better than other small cars.3.The console lights and instrument panel I feel are nicely lighted. All of the buttons on the steering wheel in the SL are not lit however. This includes cruise control, audio, and bluetooth.4.I think it's widely considered the that configurator on Nissan.com is broken, others can confirm if they have the configuration you mentioned5.No TPMS issues with ours, obviously lots of others have had problems though.6. This car is a stealth! Anything under 3k rpm is amazingly quiet.

shadu
Car: Versa

thanks buddy appriciate ur quick reply am waiting for other feedback

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

For another viewpoint...

1. I have a CVT with 3600 miles on it - probably 75% highway. The first tank was 31.6, and all since have been 32.5 to 33.8 mpg, trending upward. Not what I'd hoped for, but not bad.2. We've enjoyed ours at all speeds and conditions. Plenty of power without ever having to floor it.3. As above, nicely lighted at night.4. Wasn't interested in bluetooth or ABS, so I can't say.5. Also no TPMS problems, here, but I'm ready to try the 40psi quick fix if it shows up. My only issue has been the passenger side air bag cover needing replaced, but it's really just a broken piece of plastic inside.6. I also am very happy with how quiet the car is. I run 70-78mph for much of my commute, and it's so quiet I've been surprised how much I hear on my CD's that I've never noticed before on the home stereo!

BKKloppenborg
Car: Soon Nissan Versa

I also was wondering about the CVT trans, i dont need this car to race lol But just want to put Flowmaster/Magaflow and cold air intake on it. But can someone explain It a little better. Is a CVT Worth extra money compared to 4 speed Auto? I would get manual but trafic is to bad here.

I looked at http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm and zerothread/200797

Sorry i am a car newbie LOL.

I know how 5 speed and a 4/5 speed auto. they have set gears when they shift speed/RPMs.

How many gears does a CVT have? (Or do they have "Gears" I dont think they have so called "Gears ) Since it dosn't really "Shift" or have a number of "Gears" (I think?)

So far i learned avantages areLower RPMs compared to other TransBetter Fuel Eccony

I was wondering if a CVT was worth extra money compared to a 4 speed AUTO, would a CVT mean that if i was going to Put a Flowmaster/Magnaflow on it and Cold air Intake would gain about 15-30 HP and 9 Torque Would i make it go a little faster with the CVT compared to 4 Speed Auto since Auto has FIXED 4 gear while the CVT does not just limited on Engine.

So does CVT= What is top speed 110-115? (Just limited on Engine or Trans to?) (Just in case Late for work LOL) I am used to ALOT of engine Noise from Benz now 79 300SD at 110 it goes 4,000 RPM which is MAX

Sorry so confused

proxim2020

shadu wrote:4) When i build the car its didnt allow me to get the ABS if i tried the bluetooth option and vice versa so is it so???
There's a rumor floating around that Nissan website is set this way because they are trying to restrict the amount of ABS equipped SL's in the hopes of saving as many ABS modules for the new Sentra's. But there are members that have ABS equipped SL's so Nissan's making them. It's just a rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I'm pretty sure they've gotten many complaints about the "website flaw". If it was an actual flaw, it probably would've been fixed by now. It's set for some reason. Not sure though.

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

1. Most of miles are hwy, but this last fill-up was a lot of city driving with the a/c on, driving hard and taking off fast and I got 25.8. There are probably better cars more suited for straight city driving. I don't know.

2. I LOVE the CVT. I've had NO troubles with fast acceleration.

3. I have no problems finding everything. The only problem is that the dash light knob is at the left side of your left knee. I haven't quite got used to feeling around for it. Hubby likes a lower light than I.

4. You'd probably have to talk to your dealer to find what's available or how long it would take to build it to your specifications.

5. We did the "inflate to 40, deflate to specifications" routine and the light has stayed off for 400 miles. You simply will not find a more quiet care. We test drove the Dodge Caliber, the Vibe, Sentra and Civic. You simply can't believe how quiet it is.

My side notes: If you are doing city commutes by yourself, this may not be the car for you. However, if you have passengers, they will thank you each day. This car has an unbelievable amount of leg room in both the front and back. I'm 5'9" and can cross my legs in the passenger seat and have no troubles in the back. It has a fantastic amount of passenger room and comfort. We do a lot of highway miles and we were glad to sacrifice the couple of MPG to get the comfort, the smooth ride and the quiet.

6. This car has no noise! The only noise we get is either me blaring the fantastic radio or with the a/c on 4. But it cools off so fast, we rarely have the fan on 4.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

I have the SL with the CVT and Convenience pkg. We absolutely love it. It is well lit, like someone else said though, the steering wheel buttons are not. But all the other controls, including the door lock and window buttons are all lit. It is a very nice car for the money. We love the CVT, with this tranny, the engine is only turning 2400 rpm at 70mph. With the six speed I drove, it is right at 3000 rpm. The only dislike has been the gas mileage and it is trending up as the miles go up. I started off from 28 to 29 and now, at 4100 miles, it has been over 32. The tank before the one I am on now was a little over 33. Still not sticker, but getting better. For city driving, you can't beat it. There is a learning curve associated with this tranny. It is nothing big, just different from anything you have ever driven.

As far as how the CVT works, it is in the simplest terms, a variable speed pulley setup. Now before you go thinking you are getting a golf cart setup, remember they use some form of this type tranny in everything up to bulldozers!! If I can find the link, I will post it here of the company that actually builds these for Nissan. Maybe someone else will beat me to it. There are no gears, it just "shifts out" to vary the final drive ratio. I absolutely love it.

Now, the only problems so far have been new car bugs. My TPMS problem turned out to be two bad wheel sensors, both on the rear. My airbag cover on the dash on the passenger side also was not assembled correctly and was replaced. Other than that, it has been rattle free, quite on the road, rides very smooth, has good snap to its takeoff and is an all around good little car. Good luck with your purchase.

BKKloppenborg

electech wrote:I have the SL with the CVT and Convenience pkg. We absolutely love it. It is well lit, like someone else said though, the steering wheel buttons are not. But all the other controls, including the door lock and window buttons are all lit. It is a very nice car for the money. We love the CVT, with this tranny, the engine is only turning 2400 rpm at 70mph. With the six speed I drove, it is right at 3000 rpm. The only dislike has been the gas mileage and it is trending up as the miles go up. I started off from 28 to 29 and now, at 4100 miles, it has been over 32. The tank before the one I am on now was a little over 33. Still not sticker, but getting better. For city driving, you can't beat it. There is a learning curve associated with this tranny. It is nothing big, just different from anything you have ever driven.

As far as how the CVT works, it is in the simplest terms, a variable speed pulley setup. Now before you go thinking you are getting a golf cart setup, remember they use some form of this type tranny in everything up to bulldozers!! If I can find the link, I will post it here of the company that actually builds these for Nissan. Maybe someone else will beat me to it. There are no gears, it just "shifts out" to vary the final drive ratio. I absolutely love it.

Now, the only problems so far have been new car bugs. My TPMS problem turned out to be two bad wheel sensors, both on the rear. My airbag cover on the dash on the passenger side also was not assembled correctly and was replaced. Other than that, it has been rattle free, quite on the road, rides very smooth, has good snap to its takeoff and is an all around good little car. Good luck with your purchase.
\

Thanks Nice to know DANG 2,300 at 70 MPH Thats good i think lower then my Parents Honda Accord 2004 with 5 speed auto. i think it goes like 3,000-3500 at 70. Hey what is the redline for the nissan Versa?

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

Redline is at 6500, but I think the govenor won't let you anywhere near that. Mine wii tach up to 5000-5500 if I floor it.

The CVT is a mind-reader it does exactly what you need it to do. I've heard there's alerning curve, but I disagree. you just get in it and drive. Let the tranny worry about the rest.

It's the tallest transmission/final drive combo available. Look at the specifications page on this site. Multiply the top gear ratio by the final drive for each tranny and you'll see how much taller it is. The great thing is that when you need a shorter ratio, it's there. The CVT adjusts on the fly to suit the terrain or your changing demand as sensed by how much you mash the pedal.

Go for the CVT. It's definitely worth it.

Ben

proxim2020

BKKloppenborg wrote:\

Thanks Nice to know DANG 2,300 at 70 MPH Thats good i think lower then my Parents Honda Accord 2004 with 5 speed auto. i think it goes like 3,000-3500 at 70. Hey what is the redline for the nissan Versa?
The red line on the Tach? That's the go fast line. Once you get up to it, thousands of little magic go fast pixies begin to come alive. They dance and party until they burst with excitement. When they burst, you see them in the form of rods, pistons, and cracked cylinder heads. Just Kidding

The redline starts at about 6.5 I believe.

BKKloppenborg

BenDupre wrote:Redline is at 6500, but I think the govenor won't let you anywhere near that. Ben
Damn Govenor takes away all the fun!!!! So about 115 for Versa my 79 Benz goes that fast! Its a Turbo Dissel damn new chips.

"Hey how did a 79 Benz beat a 2006 Sentra in the long run?" "Damn chip made me go as fast as my grandma, so he beat me."

thanks guys i will get the CVT

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

shadu wrote:1) How the fuel economy as i drive 90% city2) Is the CVT good at sppeds and city?3) Are the knobs on dash and steering wheel and etc Illuminated at nights other models coz we have a XB and its really hard to see the knobs at night coz its dark u cant see anything unless u have a night vision glasses4) When i build the car its didnt allow me to get the ABS if i tried the bluetooth option and vice versa so is it so???5) I have seen lot of thread abt the TPMS problems so its there anything else to be considered besides TPMS problems6) Is it noisy from inside like the road noise and engine noise???
1) Someone mentioned that "other cars" might be more suited to straight city driving. Those would be hybrids, since they are more efficient in the city than the highway because you're driving mostly on the electric motors. However, paying $5000-$20000 more (depending on which Hybrid you're talking about) may not be worth the huge savings. That said, I'm getting 30 in the city without being particularly ginger on my 6-speed.

2) Dunno, have the manual.

3) There's something about this that irritates me. Your gauges are illuminated 24/7, with or without the lights on. this is theoretically a "safety" feature that allows you to read your gauges when you go in a tunnel but don't turn the lights on. The problem, for me, is that I usually end up driving about 3-4 miles at night before I figure out I've forgotten to turn on my headlights, because I can see my gauges. But yes, when the lights are on, everything is light up like a christmas tree.

4) There are some people here with ABS, yes... but I think so far only the Canadians have ABS and bluetooth at the same time. Someone from the US, correct me if yours has both.

5) Minor things here and there. One thing affects only manual SL's, which by the sounds of things won't matter to you. The other is a sporadic manufacturing defect that causes the assembly robot to attach a side mirror to a dented door panel. This causes an annoying rushing sound at 40+ mph. It will be fixed for free by the dealer, and can easily be detected before even driving a Versa because there will be an odd gap between the base of the mirror and the door surface. Bear in mind that this car is in its first year of production... so it will be "buggier" than later years, but your dealer will gladly fix any issues under warranty. (And the Fit isn't immune either... for instance, they have paint problems on cars with only a couple hundred miles on them)

6) The engine will get "Nissan-y" at over 3500rpm. If you're driving that fast, chances are you LIKE engine noise, so it won't bug you. However, asking people if the car is quiet and then threatening to put a Flowmaster on it is rather... mind boggling. I had a 2.5" cat-back with Flowmaster on my last car. Yeah, it gave me a few ponies (think in the neighborhood of about 6 extra, on a 2.7L V6...). It was NOT worth the noise or the money to put that on there. If they hadn't hacked up my OEM exhaust to bits in the process of putting it on, I would have said "oh hell no" and bolted my stock exhaust back on. If you're LUCKY a CAI and catback would give you about 6 hp on an engine as small as the MR18DE.

Edit: And the governor is there for your safety. Noone.. EVER... needs to go 115 on a public road. I've got the need for speed also, but I take it to the autocross track where it is safe and legal to be an idiot.

campersand

Ever Victorious wrote:Noone.. EVER... needs to go 115 on a public road. I've got the need for speed also, but I take it to the autocross track where it is safe and legal to be an idiot.
Well said. What possible reason could you have, BKK, to go that fast?

proxim2020

Ever Victorious wrote:Edit: And the governor is there for your safety. Noone.. EVER... needs to go 115 on a public road. I've got the need for speed also, but I take it to the autocross track where it is safe and legal to be an idiot.
EV's right, there should be no reason you should need to get over 115 on public roads (even up to that speed). This is why cops normally don't let you off with a warning at these speeds. Even if you are the type of person who does street races, most times you don't get up this this speed. Partly because street races are so short anyway. Plus street/pickup races are more about hp to weight ratios than speed. There's a good chance there will never be a programmer to defeat the governor, so you're going to be stuck with it. If you need more speed, you should look into an actual performance vehicle or bike. Whatever you choose, please take it to the track.

BKKloppenborg

I have only gone 115, ONCE in Benz and that was because i was Late for Work and it was 6:00 in the morning usally i drive at 70-75. I dont usally drive that fast unless i really need to and their is light traffic.

I am not dumb enough to street race.

proxim2020

BKKloppenborg wrote:I have only gone 115, ONCE in Benz and that was because i was Late for Work and it was 6:00 in the morning usally i drive at 70-75. I dont usally drive that fast unless i really need to and their is light traffic.

I am not dumb enough to street race.
Meh, everyone's gone faster than they should have at one point. I normally drive about 75 (mostly freeways here). I was in the same situation. One time I was late for work and had about 15 mins to get through a 30 min drive. 140mph on the highway at 3:15 in the morning. I was 19 at the time. I made it in enough time, but I also realized that if I had woke up earlier, there would be no need for all that speed. Every now and again you want to stretch your cars legs. Everyone's tore down that backroad with no cars on it to see how fast they can go. But you should try to stay away from that. Not only can you hurt someone you can't see until it's too late, but you can also hurt yourself. Most times the hardest part about not speeding is over coming your urges. Use your speed responsibly.

Return to “Versa General Chat”