Help me solve my 'vert wiring problems (won't start). Pics inside!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
TurboChargedSE-R
Car: 1993 SE-R with a BIG turbo, 1993 240sx convertible with KA24DE-T

Hey, gang--As I mentioned in my intro post, I had to push-start my '93 240 convertible to get it home after buying it some 200 miles away. Unknown problems meant just leaving it running all the way home. Three lights on the dash (brake, oil pressure, and seatbelt) stay on if the battery is connected.

Now that I'm home, I've done some digging. A multimeter confirmed it wasn't the battery (12.75v). Rap on the starter didn't work, so that rules that out.

I looked at the wiring that is beside the passenger fusebox and I see the picture below. Of the four plugs that are supposed to be there, only three remain. None have male plugs going into them, all are female. <edit>The middle plug DOES have a male going into it, the one with the blue and black wires coming out of it. </edit>The middle plug has all wires cut except for the blue and the black wires. A lone female two-prong plug is beside it, with a thick white wire and a white with orange-red stripe wire going into it.

I will make replies to this with the other pictures and descriptions. Feel free to chime in and help a guy who doesn't have the coveted convertible supplement to the FSM *just yet*.

Greg PerryHuntington, WVhttp://www.TurboChargedSE-R.com

TurboChargedSE-R

In the photo below, you'll see a plug that has been jumpered. Going into this plug are two wires: Black with yellow stripeBlack with white stripe

-GP-

TurboChargedSE-R

In front of the fusebox (towards the passenger headlight) sits this lone plug, all empty (no jumpers). It has two wires:

BlackBrown with white stripe

After reading (and re-reading) Bart's excellent how-to on wiring a 5-speed into a 'vert...I am still stumped. Not having the convertible supplement to the FSM would really come in handy about now.

Any and all help in solving this is GREATLY appreciated, and the favor will hopefully be returned on down the road, as I am able to do so.

-GP-

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I have JUST the guy to fix this. Lemme see if I can get him in here, gimme 24 hours.

He did my wiring - 5-speed conversion, top still works AND starts w/o brake depressed, and no CEL.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

listing as best as i can tell.

Picture #1 is the plug that goes into the alternator

Picture #2 Auto Park Neutral Safety Switch. It's jumpered to fool the Auto Control Unit into thinking the gear selector is in park so the car can start.

Picture #3 Unkown. The FSM just keeps referring me to another harness location, which refers me back to the first harness location. On my car, that plug is capped and not used.

In regards to picture 1, it looks like someone was trying to keep from having to cut the wires off the back of the inhibitor plug. The inhibitor plug isn't necessary to have wired in correctly to get the car started.

What I would do is check the lower harness to make sure it's plugged in properly. The oil pressure light might be staying on because the sensor is unplugged.

Hope that helps Greg. If you need any additional help, drop me some email ([email protected])

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Looks like the reverse lights are hooked up incorrectly, but I may be wrong. Does his top work? They should have spliced the blue and green wires together for the top and reverse lights to work, iirc. The connector with the white/red and white wire should go to the alternator, maybe be the reason for it not starting. The connector up front with the brown/ white wire is for the condensor fan. That should be it.

TurboChargedSE-R

Excellent replies, guys! I was hoping that plug went to the alternator, but the dark skies (due to Hurricane Katrina being overhead in WV) yesterday meant I really couldn't dig around too much in that area.

It's length is *perfect* for going to the alternator. Just couldn't see the other end of the connection.

And...you're right on the reverse lights. Using Bart's excellent write-up, I am going to tackle that issue this weekend. Has to have reverse lights in order to get a WV inspection sticker on it.

Again....many THANKS, guys. I'll plug that alternator plug in and give the key a turn this evening.

-GP-

Hijacker
'94 F-150

i don't believe the alternator has to be hooked up for the car to start. Are you sure the ignition relay isn't blown?

TurboChargedSE-R

I'll pop open all fuse/relay boxes and check them all out. Good idea, as something usually blows when the alternator is unhooked.

-GP-

TurboChargedSE-R

Ugh. Replaced the stray alternator plug, but the car still will not start.

It almost HAS to be something in the ignition/lock area...the car will push start just fine, and run just fine that way.

The dash lights on are all the ones on the right (battery, door open, seatbelt, oil pressure). I also get a blinking "OD Off" switch light, the one to the right of the steering wheel (orange light). Plus the CEL.

Top powers down okay, and powers back up okay. Rear windows do not go back up, however.

Checked ignition relay, and it was in fine shape. I might swap the one from my coupe in there, just to completely rule that out.

It has to be in the 5 speed 'vert specific wiring....has to be...

TurboChargedSE-R

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It *was* the starter, after all. I tried the bang-the-starter trick again, and apparently I just didn't whack it hard enough the first time I tried it, a few days ago.

Three good whacks and boom- she fired right up.

Off to MonkeyZone (AutoZone) to get a reman'd starter so I can enjoy this car by the weekend.

A BIG thanks to all who helped!

Hijacker
'94 F-150

i figured it was starter, or it was ignition related.

the vert specific parts of the wiring doesn't affect how the car starts or operates

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”