Help making an emanage cable?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
airman86

Hey all, after pouring over the internet for several hours, i have found two guides on how this is done. I got a deal on an emanage blue with ignition and fuel harnesses, a greddy type-s bov and a 28x6x3 FMIC for $250 which i couldn't pass up. The only downside is that the emanage didn't come with the cable. These are the two guides to make one I have found:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum...59030a ... um...98845

The first one is good, shows the importance of finding the TX and RX, but doesn't explain how to use hyperterminal and exactly where each cable goes on the other end of the USB. The second one shows pictures and how the colors match up, but no cable is the same and I doubt I can find the exact same dku-5 cable with the exact same colors that I found in the guide.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I keep finding references to mohdparts.com which seemed to have plenty of info. I have been all over the yahoo groups, i have searched on nicoclub, google, and just about everywhere else. I have had luck finding a write-up on yahoo groups, however all of the links and pictures are broken. There is a writeup in the Files section of the emanage yahoo group. The link to the file is there, but an error gets returned that says "file not accessible", which I don't understand because these files are hosted on yahoo's servers. It's not like they're hosted somewhere else that could be unreliable.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Modified by airman86 at 1:29 PM 3/20/2009
Modified by airman86 at 6:09 AM 3/21/2009

LEMHEAD16
Car: '12 Genesis Coupe
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

Did it come with the Greddy support tool as well? If not you might as well by the support tool and cable together.

airman86

I have the software. And no, I don't want to shell out $100+ for a cable that I can make for $10-$15. I have the knowledge and skill to do this, hell - I work at radioshack and I have lots of stuff available to me. However, I just need to know how it's done.

LEMHEAD16
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

Cool then, good luck with it. The emanage worked great for me. I used it to tune my first KA-T back in the day when it (emange) was fairly new. I really liked it. If you can pick up the pressure sensor for it, it is a breeze to tune. I highly recommend it.

What is your set-up going to be?

(sorry I have no input on cable building)

airman86

i'll definitely be picking up the pressure sensor.

i'll be starting the project once summer hits. forged rods, pistons, headwork, etc. I'll start off with a small turbo (with all the supporting mods) like a t28 for a little while and eventually go with a gt28 or a g30 and run ~20 lbs of boost.

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

I was under the impression that Emanage blue did not support ignition modification.. You sure you can do timing with your piggy back?

LEMHEAD16
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

100% positive.

With the pressure sensor and the ignition harness harness for the EM you can pull timing and add fuel based on boost pressure. It's a decent system but has all the same drawbacks of any other piggyback system.

The bad thing when I used it 4 or 5 years ago was price. By the time you purchased the box, harness, ignition harness, pressure sensor, software and cable. You were almost up to half the cost of a stand alone. I'm sure by finding used parts now you can get up and running much cheaper.

airman86

alright, so cross referencing this picture:

and the guide from link #1, I can make this work.

and yep, x2 on the ignition capabilities.

airman86

alright. i've got the cable wired up. i know the cable is working because of a successful loopback test with hyperterminal (touch the tx and rx wires together). however, something that has bothered me since i have gotten this unit is the "interaction" light stays on, regardless of whether or not it's hooked up to a PC. i haven't found a -clear- answer if this is normal or not anywhere online.

anyways, i can make the interaction light blink when it's hooked to the computer. all that has to be done is connect to it using hyperterminal, and start mashing keys. SUCCESS! blinky lights. occasionally i'll get some strange acscii characters back from the emanage showing that it's supposedly working.

however, support tool will not pick it up. i've tried every type of setting available (even tried changing com ports even though I know it's com1) with no dice.

the emanage is outside of the car, with only 12v and ground run to it. perhaps it needs to be in the car first before it will talk to a emanage?

much help appreciated.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The problem may be that the Serial cable that Greddy makes actually has some sort of a board built into the Serial connector. It modifies the signal and it was well documented that a standard Serial to USB cable won't work (There was a site that used to exist that had pictures of the internals of the serial end). That said, I would think the same may be true of a USB to USB cable as well.

airman86

the usb port on the emanage blue is technically a serial interface. it has a TX, an RX, and a ground. it may work better with a usb to serial converter (as seen in the guides i made in the OP), because it looks like a straight through cable doesn't seem to work (either that or this unit is busted).

the interaction light stays ON even though nothing is connected to it. i've found a few threads online talking about this case and i think their units are working fine.

anyways, i have a USB to serial converter in the mail (i found one on ebay that looks just like one i saw on someone's personal website who makes and sells these cables) and i'll be giving it a shot once it gets here.

you are right about a plain "usb to serial" won't work, as in flipping it around, plugging the usb end into the emanage and the serial end into a computer.

C-Kwik

Not sure how familiar you are with the Emanage's history, but initially, when Greddy released it, they did not sell the cable and tool to retailers with the intent of resale to consumers end user). In fact, they were only released to authorized installers who would be capable of providing tuning services. They also limited the number of tools they would sell to a particular shop. This made getting your hands on the tool as a consumer difficult. Mohdparts.com was probably the best known website to be able to get the Greddy or cloned cables and the software from. They were very cheap when I got mine from them as well. It appears they are no longer operating the site. They had a wealth of info posted there too.

I sold my 240 more than 4 years ago along with the e-manage so I'd had little reason to keep up with it so it was actually odd for me to see that people have been able to create DIY cables without some way of emulating the chip that is in the support and clone cables. This makes me wonder if Greddy just ended up giving up on trying to limit sales of the cables to authorized tuners as the clone cables and websites like mohdparts.com made them available to anyone. With the Ultimate, they are using a standard USB cable and including the software with the unit so it seems that they are no longer seeking to limit who has access to tuning the unit.

If they indeed dropped any type of encryption or handshake process then simply matching the pins may allow it to work. But older units may still require the chipped cable and I'd imagine Greddy would still produce the cable with the chip for backward compatibility. But newer units would ignore any effects of said chip. This would mean older units can not use a DIY cable while newer ones can.

This is of course only speculation on my part. I know early users were seeking DIY solutions and were unable to come up with any. There were plenty of intelligent people working with the E-Manage that could have figured out a DIY cable had it been feasible at the time. Personally, I just bit the bullet and bought a Greddy cable from mohdparts.

airman86

wow, excellent information. thank you very much. i'm expecting a nokia dku-5 cable today, which supposedly works for the DIY situation.

if all else fails, i will see if i can find a better deal on the greddy cable, but it is what it is and i'll do what i have to.

C-Kwik

Hopefully. Good luck and keep us posted!

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

Sounds like a standard TTL/RS232 level shifting circuit to me.

If the emanage connection provides a +5v you could use just about any honda datalogger cable (like a moates HondaLog for example).

Or you could make up a level shifting circuit on your own, using a max232 or equivalent.

http://sodoityourself.com/max2...erter/

nnttem
Car: Nissan

Hi, I’ve been trying for years now to get my Emanage to work, or at least to connect it to the PC.
I’ve tried USB to TTL, and RS232 to TTL, I got them tested working on Hyper Terminal.

I don’t know what else I can do. I hope it’s not the emanage blue that I bought it used. There is something that I’m doing “different” that I hope it is the cause: I don’t have the emanage connected to a car, I’m using a Power supply 12v 1A DC, connected to the Power and ground cables of connector 1, this is the only “strange” thing I’m doing. When I give it power both active (green) and Interaction (orange) lights turn on, Non-blinking.

With the usb PL2303 HXA, when I connect it to the emanage, the Active light turns on for some seconds (without giving power to the emanage). Something that does not occur with the RS232, I guess because the RS232 +5v receives power in order to work, and the USB does the opposite, it gives power, which I find it odd because all tutorials USB or RS232 say connect positive to positive, but I think this is an important difference.

Any help?

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”