Help... intake

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
N2mesnob
Car: 95' SE Pathfinder

I'm looking to replace my stock intake on my VG30EAfter doing some research and seeing some pics it got me to thinking that maybe I could use the aftermarket intake for 00'-01' Xtera.No one seems to be able to tell me if this is possible or give me guidance on how to accomplish my goal. Not completely true someone suggested a pop charger and although very helpful I would still like to replace this pipe.As is stands right now I’m looking at doing a custom piping but since I’ve never done this before I’m inclined to think it would easier if I could find something pre-made that I use.If this is not possible than I would appreciate some guidance on the fabrication for my application.Not to be rude but instead of suggesting that I search the forums (I have and am still searching the forums) maybe you can provide me with a link to this mythical posts I should be finding but prosiest in eluding me:)

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

What year Pathy do you have?

N2mesnob

95' SE

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

You can pick up a relatively cheap one specifically for your model on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors....m245

N2mesnob

Thank you for the help i don't know how i missed it I'm always on there looking for parts. I normally do a search for "nissan pathfinder" what did you use for your search?

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

95 pathfinder intake

If your model happens to be in the middle of the model range (like for instance a 90-96 300ZX) I would search using the end ranges i.e. "90 300zx intake" or "96 300zx intake". You can also just used "Pathfinder Intake" but you'll have to sort through all year ranges of Pathfinders to find it.

N2mesnob

Thanks now i have to ask is it possible to swap the MAF stock housingfor a larger diameter one and still keep the same MAF sensor?If so which one can i use off of which engine and or car?

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Definitely not. If you took the sensor out and put it into a larger diameter pipe it would actually cause the car to run very rough or not even run at all as you are actually changing the amount of air the ECU sees.

To change the MAF, or even the diameter of the pipe, you would have to modify the tuning in the ECU to make up for the difference.

N2mesnob

mtcookson wrote:To change the MAF, or even the diameter of the pipe, you would have to modify the tuning in the ECU to make up for the difference.
How hard or how much work is involved in that?

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

More than would be worth unless you're wanting to add some boost to it or other major mods that require tuning. The stock MAF shouldn't be much of a restriction for a relatively stock setup... though it does look like it comes down quite a bit in that picture. I'm surprised they did it that way.

N2mesnob

Kool I was just wondering. Yeah i was thinking even though I'm not running boost it jus seemed like it was a bit of a bottle neck, that and the throttle-body but i figure the TB was more labor intensive. I was talking with a friend bout it today and i was not expecting much improvement but it jus seemed to make more sense to me that i could increase the flow by reducing the bottle neck so this set-up could function at 99% efficiency verses 98% I guess i could change the TB but it doesn't make sense if the MAF is still stock so i'll just put that at the bottom of the project to do list. I find it funny it looks like he modified a preexisting setup which if i couldn't find a pre made setup this is pretty much what i had in mind to do.Now once i get it installed all i have to do is fabricate a heat shield.I saw this kool one this guy made for his BMW from some aircraft composite.I'll end up using aluminum for mine , I'm jus not sure how to make it so that it completely isolates the filter from the rest of the engine bay when the hood is closed.Maybe when i do figure it out i can mass produce it and sell it on ebay like the person i got the intake from. Oh yeah what are the pros & cons of removing or leaving in the stock resonator?

mtcookson
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

As far as sealing at the hood, I would just get it as close as you can then you could use rubber or foam to create a bit of a seal on the hood, though it shouldn't make much of a difference as long as it is pretty close.

One of the pros to removing the stock resonator is that you usually get a better sounding intake.

N2mesnob

I was reading through some posts and some mentioned a TBI spacer...Honestly I kinda forgot bout it cuz i'm use to hearing them being used on domestics but it got me wondering if this would work for my setup, is it worth it, pro & cons?If i'm not mistaken it helps NAs more than bossted engines?I'm looking now to see if there are any availiable but so far no joy. i can find ones for newer Paths & Armadas.

Here's something i found on another forum:"Since a 240sx's throttle body will work with the VG30 then the spacer should work as well. Is this correct and is it worth switching?""However, to answer your question, z31parts.com sells either a 54mm spacer for the stock throttlebody, or a 60mm spacer for the Stanza/240SX throttlebody. Personally, I would skip the throttle body spacer altogether though, and instead go for the upper-plenum spacer. This will have a much more benefit on intake air temps, and it will increase the runner lengths, and every little bit can help.""the 240sx throttle body will do absolutely nothing to your vg motor except make it feel as it has better throttle response your bolting a 60mm throttle body to a 50mm plenum.. "
Modified by N2mesnob at 1:05 PM 8/28/2009

N2mesnob

So i been looking and i couldn't find a TB spacer for my VG30.After repling to another post a member posted a link for an aluminum one @ 4x4parts for a VG33 for 105$ and on my own i found a 60mm TB Phoenolic-type spacer for 20$ @ z31parts.Proformace questions aside, will a spacer made to connect to the VG33 throttle body for sure match up with the VG30?

N2mesnob

Got her sounding good

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”