HELP !! HELP !! Transmission and engine problems

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
airmarbury
Car: 2010 EX35 JOURNEY AWD T

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if those happened to you guys and does someone know what the probelm is ?

March 1st

Serve Engine Soon light is on and I was told by the dealer that your Neutral Parking Safety Switch got stuck on "ON" position and need to be replaced .. Dealer also told me that the code has already been cleared and your car is derivable but you may wait a little bit longer because the part is in back order. During this time, my car drives fine

March 9th

Car drives fine but Serve Engine Soon light is ON again. i called the dealer and they told me it should be the same problem and as long as the Serve Engine Light is not flashing. You are OK

March 10 - March 29th.

I notice that there is something wrong with my car and it is getting more common and worse ( Delayed shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and sometimes engine vibrates when transmission is in D drive )

March 29th.

I got a call from dealer and they said they got the part. I also asked the dealer to inspect those problems and I was told those problems are caused by your TCM ( transmission control module ) they told me as long as I replace those tow parts ( Neutral Parking Safety Swtich and Transmission Control Module) your car will drive like a brand new one and I did what they recommended.

March 30th - Now:

After driving my car for 4 days, I notice that.....

Serve Engine Light is ON again

all the problems didnt get fixed ( delayed shifting from 1st to 2nd and engine vibration )

it looks like there are some more problems
Delayed shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th,
Delayed shifting from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd.
Engine speed fluctuates when vehicle speed is around 40 km/ hour when slowing down. for example, if you let your car slow down by itself without hitting breaks, what you will see is your engine speed goes down a little bit more and goes back to normal quickly when speed is around 40 km/ hour and you will feel they car moves faster !!! if you slow down your car by hitting break, you will feel a strong shaking because your break tries to stop your car but your engine tries to go faster.. I ve never seen it before and it is wired... only happen when you slow down and only happen when speed is around 40km/hour

anyway I have an appoitment with deal tomorrow and i dont know what they will tell me but apparently, they created more problems for my car. my car is ex35 with only 50,000km...

Does anybody know what the problem is and how i should fix it ??

Thanks a lot !!!

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

Did they really change the transmission control module? How old is the car and how many miles? Is there a good maintenance record in this car?

Let them check the ECU next...

airmarbury

2010 ex35 around 51,000km .... Have no idea what they will tell me tomorrow but I know my car is still under warranty. Does anybody know if I can ask for a new transmission or if they can not fix it, ( in my case, they made it worse ... ) will they give me a new car ?

Thanks

AWGD8

Our Transmission is pretty solid (mechanically) , maybe it is just some sensor acting up. hopefully it is just an ECU issue. Good thing still under warranty.
if they cannot fix it the second time, maybe have another 2nd opinion from different service dept.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

yes -very glad you are under warranty. I agree with AWGD8... sounds computer or sensor related.

Get a nice loaner and tell them to take their time and fix it right... Looking forward to hearing what it was! Strange!!

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

airmarbury wrote:2010 ex35 around 51,000km .... Have no idea what they will tell me tomorrow but I know my car is still under warranty. Does anybody know if I can ask for a new transmission or if they can not fix it, ( in my case, they made it worse ... ) will they give me a new car ?

Thanks
Like the other guys mentioned, I'd say that the problem is likely due to an electronic or sensor issue. While it's still possible that it could be related to a mechanical issue, I don't believe these transmissions have had many issues with their mechanicals.

If it so happens that a new transmission is required to get it fixed right, I wouldn't fret. It'll be covered under warranty and you'll have a fresh unit in there. As long as the dealer gives you a loaner it should be relatively painless :) .

I'd be doubtful about you getting a new car. I'm not sure how the lemon laws work where you live, but at this point I have a feeling you wouldn't be eligible to get Infiniti to buy back your EX.

airmarbury

Thanks for you guys

Just some updates. I picked up my car this afternoon and I was told again that all the problems are caused by my remote control system which mess up the whole computer system and I paid them $440 to remove it and GUESS WHAT ...

Just had a test drive and FUXXXXXXX ... everything is same and this time I notice engine fluctuation at low speed ( between 10 and 20 km/hour)

I live in a small town and there is only one infinite/nissan dealer. I dont trust them anymore. Can I contact Infinite Canada ? What should I do know ??? Please help !!!!

AWGD8

airmarbury wrote:Thanks for you guys

Just some updates. I picked up my car this afternoon and I was told again that all the problems are caused by my remote control system which mess up the whole computer system and I paid them $440 to remove it and GUESS WHAT ...

Just had a test drive and FUXXXXXXX ... everything is same and this time I notice engine fluctuation at low speed ( between 10 and 20 km/hour)

I live in a small town and there is only one infinite/nissan dealer. I dont trust them anymore. Can I contact Infinite Canada ? What should I do know ??? Please help !!!!
Next time drive with the service adviser before paying the service bill. What exactly is the remote control thing? You mean the keyless remote? That is weird to cause stuff like that. Keep all the service documentation and file s complain to Infiniti.

airmarbury

I think the remote control is also called auto start ( this is what they said in my paper ) they told me it is a aftermarket auto start ( tried to blame it on me so that it is not covered ny warranty ) and probably installed by my dealer when I bought the car but I argued that my car was fine before March 1st ( the first time serve engine light was on) and I never had those problems. and then they told me as long as you cut it off, everything should be fine so I trust them and give them my credit card number. I guess I have to go back tomorrow........ if it still doesnt work I guess i have to call infiniti Canada.

By the way, Does anybody know what will happen if I call Infiniti Canada ? Will they start an investigation and fix my problems ???

Thanks Guys....

AWGD8

So there is an aftermarket auto start that originally installed by the dealer.

I am not familiar with auto start wiring. Car should not start remotely if that is the issue ...

airmarbury

THey told me there is a aftermarket auto start but they removed it and it has nothing to do with my engine and transmission., I went back to the dealer on Friday and told them the auto start doesnt help. Problems are same ! and then I was told your engine problems and tramsission problem is casued by YOUR TIRES !!!!! they told me your car is driving fine but I really don`t think so. They also told me your car is learning the way your drive so drive it for couple weeks... and I really dont think the car learn the way your drive is by randomly increasing engine speed or delayed shifting. I also told them i never had those problems before and they said you car is fine.

Any way I plan to call Infiniti Canada to solve this problem. RIght now, i can not really drive my car, It doesnt stop because engine speed fluctuation and shaking for also every gears ( either down shifting or up shifting )

Did someone call Infiniti Canada before, Do you think they can help me or I should just contact a lawyer ? During the meantime, i tried to reset my ECU ( that is what I heard from nicoclub but have no idea if it will help or not )

Thanks

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Infiniti Canada has been helpful to me when my fuel pump recently crapped out 13 month after they had changed it in Feb 2014. I am now on my third FP (counting the original that came with the car). They are giving me $1010 credit at my dealer to use on whatever I want to (part and service). So yea, they have been useful to me.

airmarbury

Thanks, Hopefully they can help me too. Just did another test drive with my car. ( I still believe that my car is learning the way I drive) and everything is same, tried to drive it under AT model, Snow Model and DS model. Also heard some metal clicking sounds .( another new problem!!!!)

By the way, does someone know how to reset ECU ? I tried to use the below way but looks like it doesnt work on 2010 ex35 ?

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

AWGD8

Disconnect negative battery cable for a fee minutes (some says an hour) You"ll loose your auto driver side door Window up function and you have to relearn it again which is pretty simple.

Window programing.
http://youtu.be/PMIT1b2YOSg

Johnnydangerus
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD premium package tech package. Obsidian black; Tan. 18" stk Michilin Primacy a/s. Remote start.

I just bought my 2010 EX35 this spring. It was originally from Canada. I used the remote start for first time and now experiencing the same type of issue. Could anyone tell me if the rest fixed or what my next step should be. Going to have scanned to see what comes up being that I have no check engine light. Thanks.

Johnnydangerus
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD premium package tech package. Obsidian black; Tan. 18" stk Michilin Primacy a/s. Remote start.

Well I called infiniti here in Michigan and they said there is an update for the shifting issues ive been experiencing. With 135,000 mi coming up figured cleaning the throttle body and mass air flow censors wouldn't hurt. Pics show they were ready and have some corrosion on tops of butterfly. This is from candian winters in guessing because it's where it spent all but last two yrs. Upon removing the air filter on the drivers side I was none to happy to discover whole kernels of corn! So now what? All cleaned out amd everything back together I'm leaving the car battery discharged for the evening and will perform relearn tomorrow. Any info on the mouse situation how to fix n how he might have?Still investigating but will be installing a screen of some kind down from mass air flow but anything besides that?
Attachments
20201211_115108~2.jpg
20201211_181135~2.jpg
20201211_171245~2.jpg
Throttel body

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That corn is very unusual because of what isn't there. Yes, rodents often carry nuts, corn and other food items into a car when they invade, but you'll invariably find one or two other items: Droppings and/or nesting material. The latter will sometimes be leaves and twigs, but more often fabric from elsewhere in the car, like hood and fender insulators chewed to pieces. Hate to say it, but unless you were following a corn hopper that was losing its load, that looks more like sabotage than rats and squirrels.

Johnnydangerus

Corn is from the chicken feed in the garage. It's had to of happened within the last month or less. I have checked the filters within that time span. They are new filters about 3 months old. I have been trying to find any othe damage but I believe they were using it for a stash more than a home. Traps set I don't know if moving feed will help if they are getting into garage just moving the feed won't stop them.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Put a sticky trap right at the mouth of the inlet duct, that's really the only way they could invade the airbox without chewing a hole in it.

Johnnydangerus

Rodger will do have those on hand and put one by tire but I'll do both. Not from the mice but I did notice what I belive were 2 grounds under the other hoseing that looked to be snipped at some point? Not sure why or what they might have been for? Was gonna bring up in different topic. The service manual didn't help me much. Thanks bye the way.
Attachments
20201211_115039~2.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Looks to be an auxiliary ground strap. I can tell you from rude experience that bad grounds can cause all kinds of wacky behavior, so it would be worth checking the quality of your block and chassis grounds. Takes under 2 minutes with a voltmeter. Start the car, put the VOM on the lowest voltage scale, measure from the negative battery post (not the lug, the post) to anyplace on the engine block. Then measure from the post to a chassis bolt. Both readings should be below 50 millivolts (0.05V). If you find higher, you may have found your culprit.

Johnnydangerus

I appreciate the insight. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to most things outside of one year of trade school and life. Enough to be dangerous. But seriously I will look into it. I know the car was originally from Canada so wasn't sure if it was something for their emissions or what not ? This was a good example of why simi simple service has its pros n cons.

Johnnydangerus

I was able to find a couple TSB announcements one of which describes exactly what my issue regarding my shifting and revs. The other is for my power steering issue. Both should put me back in business I belive. Now just a 3 HR drive to my closest Infiniti Dealer. Or could these be resolved at a Nissan dealer? If so I'm only a HR away.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

A Nissan dealer has all the tools and data to reprogram an Infiniti, but can't do it under warranty. Warranty repairs have to be done by an Infiniti dealer.

Johnnydangerus

I personally do not have an extend warranty and belive the vehicle is past its original. The other states to repair with proper dianogisi out of warranty etc.. Im pushing going to Infiniti because last time I went to the Nissan dealer near me to have oil changed an get a estimate on awd service I was there 2 hrs an only ended up with oil changed?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, repros shouldn't be rocket science if there's a TSB, all they need to do is follow the bulletin. Even the longest ones like the ECM only take about 40 minutes, so it shouldn't cost a whole lot either.

Johnnydangerus

I assume that either would be able to track and did my leak. I will give them a shot at the reprogramming. Chances are the young guy who dis my oil cahnge last time ia better with a computer than a wrench. Lol .. I was told none of the mechanics had the knowledge to do the 4×4 service on a Infiniti? They had serviced the car when previous owner had oil changes n what not also I had them change it once before. The last time they compt me free car wash for a month along with a free crafax . So they are worth giving another try. Can always take it to infiniti .

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yah, some of the Infiniti AWD systems were kind of "alien technology" to a lot of Nissan techs, simply because Nissan didn't use a lot of it until recently. The Juke was the only Nissan that actually had a "smart" AWD system, the Pathy, Murano etc were all dumb clutchers. That will get better quickly with even the Altima now being available with AWD. In any case, if the AWD controller needs a repro, it won't be any different from a CAN repro on any other controller. If they follow the TSB you won't have the slightest issues.

Johnnydangerus

Can't thank you enough for that explanation. I was not to sure if what they said was truthful or not especially after 2hr wait. I'll try n establish a good repor with the Nissan dealer . I will have things like the oil changed for $18 when I bring my oil n filter. If I have the tools n confidence I'll try and research than fix myself if at all possible. Somethings are just worth the money for the time.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Never hurts to understand your vehicle, that's for certain! Makes it much easier to understand mechanic-ese from the techs, as well as sort out BS from service advisors who should be asking questions instead of spouting answers when the customer's issue is unfamiliar. In an ideal world SA's would be translators, knowledgeable enough to do the translation for you and determine when calling a tech to the front desk is necessary. In the real world, most SA's don't grasp a whole lot more about your car's guts than the customers they service. So when dealing with them, knowledge is power. Bring the cover sheets for the TSB's with you when you show up, that way there's no BS factor to deal with.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”