Help engine problems!

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
rotorhead250

Hi All,

New to this forum, hope you can help me. I believe the truck I have (bought from a friend) is a Datsun 620, not sure the year. All was fine, has been fine with it for about a year now. About a week ago while making a dump run, the truck started having some series engine/carb problems.

Here is what seems to be happening: After the truck has warmed up for about five minutes, any prolonged amount of gas (10-15 secs), and it suddenly and abruptly looses power, the more the gas pedal is depressed the quicker it dies, it i release the pedal really fast it will settle in a very rough idle for several seconds. Sometimes this is accompanied by soft popping noises for the exhaust. I have checked the throttle cable and all springs and linkages on the carb and they are intact and "appear" to be working correctly. My hunch is the carb is running way to rich because sometimes there is a strong smell of fuel inside the cab. I don't know about specifics about the carb, and I "think" the previous owner might have replaced it (he is now serving in Iraq for 6 months so I can't contact him)

Any ideas? The poor truck in now stranded in my driveway filled with garbage...Help!

Thanks,Justin

chipper2128
Car: 1979 Datsun 620

It sounds like maybe the carb float has "sunk".....ie filled with gas and is flooding the engine since it never shuts off the flow of fuel.

rotorhead250

Ok, is there a way I can verify that without taking anything apart? Probably not i imagine.

Another thing I noticed earlier when I was doing some troubleshooting:

I took the air cleaner off the carb and watched the operation off it while I gave it some gas. Looking straight down on the carb it seemed the upper most throttle body(closest to the engine) was getting all the fuel, I couldn't see any fuel being injected into the lower one. Unfortunately I know very little about the operation of this carb, but does this sound correct.

Thanks,Justin

rotorhead250

Anybody have an idea? I really need to get the truck fixed and moved!

J

dallasca
Car: 1973 Datsun 620 Truck, and SRT Neon

this maybe way off but I had a problem with a 79 along time ago where it would just start running very poorly. It ended up being the electric choke deciding it had a mind of its own. Sorry I dont rember exactly what I did to fix it But I do remember it drove me crazy. Hope this helps

Return to “Datsun 620”