HELP !.. Engine power surges, stalls when at low RPM's, not constant but annoying

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
aidan2474
Car: 2006 Black on Black M35X. Nav & Tech Pkg.

I have a 96 I30

This problem is driving me nutts, and now I have to drive with two feet

it started about 2 -3 weeks ago, the engine would stall at low RPM's, this happened for about a week and a half but it was not constant it was occasional. The Cel finally came on and it was 0303 Front Left Heated O2 sensor. I had Pep boys change it and it seemd ok for a day, but like I said it wasn't constant. Then it started doing it again the next day. It's more like after the car warms up. It will happen on the highway, really bad surging, then when I get off the highway it really wants to just stall out, so I have to put it in neutral and keep pumping the gas, it feels like its running on about half the cylinders, and it smells really bad. It also happens just driving down the road I can feel the surging then when the RPM's drop it wants to stall. When it does stall I turn the key and it will start right back up , but if it is in this mode where it wants to stall, after I start it up it will stall out after I start it. So I have to keep pumping the gas till I throw it in Drive and can hit the gas to keep it going. It hasn't thrown another code yet, its been about another week and a half, but I can't deal with this anymore as it is happening more, I'm about to take it to a shop but I am wondering if anyone has some similar experience. Cuz I have read lots of posts about shops guessing what could be wrong and people paying big $$$$$ for what they didn't fix !!!!!Its not the octane of the gas and I have within the last three months changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, plugs are about 6 months old, new knock sensor, and the new O2 sensor last week, removed the old air box and put on a K&N air filter. Its a 96 I30 with about 122,000 miles....... I've had it since it had about 46k miles and never had a problem until now HELP !!!!

aidan2474

Ok the shop has had my car for, this is the fourth day now, and they say they haven't figured it out yet, cuz they can only check it when it acts up,... well see what happens

So far from teh advice I've gotten from others is check the MAF and coil packs.

Nistech, any ideas, have you run into this B4?

NISTECH

sounds like Air flow meter to me. in no way would an o2 make a car act like that. O2 failures are much more subtle and in many cases you dont know about it till either the CEL comes on or you fail a smog inspection. Another possibility is your EGR could be hanging open on coast down. EGR typically only works on accel and when cruising but if it were to hang open after one of those conditions when your coming to a stop the car will not idle and will die. The fact your say an odor is present says its likely running rich. This is usually as a result of incorrect airflow info to the ecm or incorrect engine temp info sent to the ecm. even a coolant temp would not cause something quite so severe. it might be hard to start but not really have the highway surging your experiancing.

NISTECH

there was a tsb regaurding drivability incedents related to the wire harness by your passenger strut tower but when that happens it usually pops several different codes in the ECM.

aidan2474

Thank You very much , I appreciate it !!!

aidan2474

Hey here is an update,... the shop has had my car for a week and a half, and so far they ruled out the MAF,.. and they are now figuring that something is making the engine run rich , cuz when you start it back up black smoke pours out the back, and there is no stammering or shuddering when it does , it just cuts off.. anymore helpful info on this , I really need my car back this is reDickulous

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

how did they rule out the MAF? It sounds like a possible MAF, but I could be wrong. Could tell them to plug in a new MAF just to try. Also... this may sound out there.... But remove the negative lead to the battery for awhile (few hours) to reset the ECU or if there is a reset switch on the ecu like the 4th gens max have, then do that. This could help. I had a weird problem with the 93 max that it would just die. I reset the ecu and did the car wonders.

aidan2474

he had his labscope or whatever you call it hooked up to the MAF when the car died and it didn't flutter a bit,.. I've reset the ECU personally and it didn't help at all, and MAF's are not cheap to come by,.. I don't have one to give him to just hook it up and try... but thanks for the suggestions

NISTECH

then he needs to focuis his inspection on your coolant temp sensor. Those to things are the most predomenent sensors when the car is started cold. Both of which will make the car run that rich. It rules out the O2 since it happens cold. What is the alpha when this problem is present ? whats the injector pulse when it happens? Did he check the harness at the right strut tower? Have him check the ecm connector for water damage from the evap spilling water onto it.

aidan2474

Nistech, Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.... I just could not deal with not having my car anymore, I did not have a ride to work this morning cause my friend I work with just went on 3rd shift, so I picked up my car. After two weeks the only two things he could rule out was the MAF and th new O2 that was put on. So I called to let them know I picked up my car and the guy said , yeah I know Joe(the mechanic workin on my car) was workin on it on and off, its hard to figure out cuz it happens and then it doesn't,... So I don't know if I'm even gonna pay them or not,.. who knows how much time they spent on it in two weeks and even after two weeks they could only say that it wasn't two things, COME ON !!!

Anyone know a reputable Mechanic in southeast PA, Delaware county,..

Soo Frustrated !!!

NISTECH

did you take it to a dealer? or an independant?

aidan2474

Independent,... the closest dealer is wayyy out of my way

NISTECH

Yea that could be why they were putting you off they probably arent familier with your car. Thats why your chances at the dealer are much better.

aidan2474

Well,.. after being in suspense for sooo long, Finally the Infiniti dealer told me that it was my Air flow meter and engine temperature sensor,.. which are both connected to each other,.... a $100 diagnostic and $600 in parts, came to roughly $750,... for an extra $150 they would have put it on,.. no thank you,.. I did it my self,.... I told him to go ahead and order it, but I tried to call back and tell him to cancel it so I could find it cheaper somewhere, but it was too late. The Local shop was wrong when they told me it was not my mass air flow sensor, .. and pep boys are idiots when it comes to diagnosing problems as well.My ride to work today was once again a smooth one, with no stalling. Thank god I only have 6 more payments on my car.

NISTECH

Hmm I would of guessed it was your mass airflow sensor too. ..... oh wait I did in my first post....sorry you had to go through such an expense to find that out. dealers are more expensive then independants and in alot of cases the dealer is farther away as in your case. But in the end you would likely save money.

for the record a nissan dealer could have diagnosed your car with the same compentancy as the infiniti dealer. The car is the same as a maxima.

aidan2474

Nis tech , I bow to thee,... If ever I have another problem,(hopefully never or not for a long time) you are my # 1 source

You're da man !!!!!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”