help ecm not communicating. No start

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wk1102
Car: 08 rouge

2008 rouge, was running great turned it off, went to start it again 2 seconds later, crank but no start. No power to fuel pump no spark. Code reader cannot connect. Had a guy with a confirmed good ecu come out today, still nothing, no communication. Checked fuses, swapped IPDMs with another car. I had power going to the ECU in the connector, one always and 3 when key is on. I dont remember what # on the connector right now but I can get it... it was the ones I was told to check.... no check engine light, fans come when I put key on, the ecu is good. All fues

I dont know if I did something or what, I was double checking what was getting power in the connectors and I'm getting no power to the ECU AND now no crank. I'll swap the ipdm again later but I dont think thats it. All accessories work.

So, I need to know, how to proceed,

The secondary issue I suppose, I have to get power to the ECU. No idea where to start, relay is good. All fuses good. I'll swap the Ipdm in a little bit. Had power, now doesn't, I don't do anything to short anything. I just used a meter to check for power...

The main issue, what cause the ecu to not communicate? ECU is good. All fuses relays, etc....
No visible broken wires.. bad ground? < where ?

Tje car runs great, it's been a fantastic car, cvt is 2 years old. I dont want to take it in as I'm planning on trading it in selling soon. I'm at a loss, I've been googling and checking for days now.

Thanks, anything I remember that I did I'll add.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct forum

wk1102

So I got the secondary issue figured out, no power to ECU/ no crank... I had pulled the relay for the fans, they kick on because of no com with the ecu. I guess as a fail safe the car IPDM cuts power to ecu and starter.

I need to know why the ecu isn't communicating... A ground somewhere ? Where? Anything in the ignition that would do this? It happens after shutting off, switching keys and trying to start it again... please help me

wk1102

2008 rouge sl, had a confirmed good ecu put in, could not program, no com. Car will not start with old one, no com. No check engine light not even a bulb check. Fans come on when I turn key to on. Power to ECM through harness, I don't recall what ports but the ones I was told to check. ECM relay clicks, swapped with known good. Swapped IPDM with known good.

I'm at my wits end, I've been tracing wires, I have the dash pulled apart...

What would cause a no communication issue?

I've been trying to follow the service manual wire diagrams, I just can't.

What can I check? How can I check to make sure the BCM is communicating with ECM?

Would a bad BCM cause a no link issue?

Please help.

wk1102

ECM=ECM above, auto correct or my brain is fried....

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Are you starting the car with the key in the ignition or without?

I have no clue what your issue could be, but maybe using the actual key might change something.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Ok, I see you said the fans were coming on so I assume you have some power. Check your battery, sitting in your driveway it should read 12.6 fully charged, anything less than 12.2 is dead, or in need of a charge. A low battery will cause all kinds of weird things to happen.

wk1102

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:14 am
Ok, I see you said the fans were coming on so I assume you have some power. Check your battery, sitting in your driveway it should read 12.6 fully charged, anything less than 12.2 is dead, or in need of a charge. A low battery will cause all kinds of weird things to happen.
yes key, it's all I have..lol. not an intelligent key system. battery charged... fuses all checked...
The issue is the ECU is not communicating with the car.

power to the ecu... power to the OBD... all fuse and relays good. Cigarette lighter /power acc good. Car cranks just no start. I have put 2 different known good IPDM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Check engine light does not come on for a bulb check.
b) code reader can. ot connect .
c) fans come on with key in on.
d) No power to fuel pump, not even a prime.
e) No spark.
f) Nats light stays on when key is on.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this all points to the ecu being bad....

I pulled the ecu out of a 07 Sentra, (I know it won't work but..) would not communicate not necessarily definitive but I would think I'd get something, some kind of code. When I put the ECM from the rouge into the Sentra, the fans kick on both the reader cannot link.

I had a guy come out with an ECU same #s and a computer w/nissan software, would not connect. same symptoms. He said he confirmed it was good. I suppose it's possible his ECU was no good but he drove 98 miles one way to me. It was going to be 300, he only asked me to cover his gas ...

I guess it's possible his was also bad. crazier things have happened, until I get it sent off and check I'm assuming it's not, a Nissan tech told me I should get something from the sentra ecu, not definite but possible.

the fans stay on in the rogue, original ecu, sentra ecu, replacement ecu, or no ecu. in the sentra, only when I have the Rouge ecu in there.

I've done continuity test as far as I could...
ODB to ECU harness I've confirmed 2 out of 6, and I'll get into it again Tomorrow... if someone can point out what port on the ECU connector hooks up to the OBD I'd really appreciate it...

also any grounds that I could check, I found two in the engine compartment...

logically all points to the ECU, I've brought it to two shops who said they could bench test it/diagnose it, THEY LIED! :wtf2:

So, I thinks that's all I've done...

Any insight at all would be really appreciated...

or a good torch man

cris73bmx
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest

Did you ever get this fixed?

I have a 2008 Nissan Quest with exactly the same problem
Cranks but wont start, no communication with the ecm, fans come on with ignition in the on position.

I have read different opinions from bad ecm to fuse box.

Any input would be great!

johnny99
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

I have a 2012 Rogue that cranks over but will not start. Code reader will not communicate with ecm. Cooling fan runs with the ignition on. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Or pull both battery cables touch them together and reconnect them to the battery.

johnny99
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Already did that and no difference.

wk1102

sounds like the ecu is fried.

wk1102

cris73bmx wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:52 pm
Did you ever get this fixed?

I have a 2008 Nissan Quest with exactly the same problem
Cranks but wont start, no communication with the ecm, fans come on with ignition in the on position.

I have read different opinions from bad ecm to fuse box.

Any input would be great!
Yeah. It was the ecu. $3500

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

johnny99 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:50 am
I have a 2012 Rogue that cranks over but will not start. Code reader will not communicate with ecm. Cooling fan runs with the ignition on. Any suggestions?
Duplicate topics merged.

Return to “Rogue Forum”