help dell 2350??

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

ok i have a dell 2350 its pretty old,pentium 2 still very"stock". i want to upgrade it new hard drive, duel channel ram,nvida graphics. i went to a chain store of computer"pro's" they told me to toss it in the trash not worth ther time. (im typeing tis on it now btw) is what this ahole said true are commpatable parts really that hard to find for a dell. the hard drive is going to be the easy part the ram is where i got lost at i need a crash course in ram and upgradeing computers 101 thanks!

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Here is all the info on your computer: http://support.dell.com/suppor...s.htm

Go to Ebay and look for the RAM listed in the above link.

And forget what those computer guys told you, I mean were in a recession and they want to make money, and I assume you would rather keep the computer....

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The page Paul Wall linked says it's a P4, not a P2. Which is right?

Either way, while the pc shop may be trying to make a buck, that computer is so basic and so outdated, you're going to have to go out of your way to find parts for it.

Assuming that description posted in the previous post is correct, there are two major points worth addressing:1: Intel's GMA 845 GL chipset does not support dual-channel memory, so don't waste your money on that upgrade.2: That computer has NO modern graphics expansion ports. No AGP (which is old but can still be found new) and no PCIe (the current standard). You're going to have to find a used 3DFX or Diamond or another card from the late 90s if you want to "upgrade." And if the machine is indeed P4 powered, those graphics solutions won't be able to keep up with the CPU anyway...they'll be a serious performance chokepoint and not actually an upgrade at all.

This is why I NEVER recommend business/base/low-end brand-named computer models to people. They're cheap when new but they almost always end up severely restricting upgrade options. Not that I'm criticizing, but it annoys me that brands like Dell package machines like this...such a waste.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

For the price of trying to find parts and upgrade an old box you can get a used dual-core laptop with 2-4GB RAM on ebay for under $300.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

its a pent 2 ive done things like dvd burner, put a intercooler on it, 5.1 surrond sound, and a few case mods. bad news about the duel channel ram, thanks for the link i have a laptop thats fast and all that junk,but ive had this thing for ever, it cost 1000 bucks when i got it with all the bells and whistles to,the graphics are my main haedache it has a 3d card built in but its really slow and any thing made in the 90s will not play well with games like star trek online,call of duty's, even civ 4-5 wont play well with this thing

Return to “Computers / Electronics”