Help!! Clunking noise in front end

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
terminated97
Car: 2003 G35 sdean

Hey everyone, I have a bad clunking noise coming from the front end of my car. Its been happening for about 10k miles and its getting worse. It will clunk if I hit a pot hole or even pulling into teh gas station or anything of that nature. It also does it when I tap the brakes but if I hit the brakes hard it wont do it..anyways I took it to my buddies shop and we found where the problem is comnig from. He showed me where its coming from and said its the ball joints. Well I looked on ebay and what he showed me is not the ball joints. I took some pics with my phone, could you guys tel me what this arm thing is called and possibly the cheapest way to fix it or a place to get the part cheap. I'm hoping I can just replace the actual part thats clunking and not the whole arm. Thanks a ton in advance.

Here is the arm...
and this is where the clunking is coming from

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Here is a link to your complete FSM. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2003/

Here is a link to the specific page with a picture of the ball joint. Section MA-24/25. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2003/ma.pdf

good luck!

terminated97
Car: 2003 G35 sdean

Thanks but I couldn't find anything on those pages. Anyone else have any ideas or what the arm is even called?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

It's called a control arm. "Have any ideas" about what? You need to replace the arm, I believe the ball joint is integrated.

Here's where you want to get the part: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... icing.html

BTW, where's that car live? Looks like it's been in Minnesota for the past 7 years. :)

timmy0257
Car: 08 Infiniti G35 Journey 5AT
-R2C Intake
-interior LEDs w/ tag lights
-SBD grounding kit
-TBW engine cover
-Eibach Pro-kit
-JL Audio

Future Mods include GT-Spec strut bar & more.

the ball joint is a component of the control arm. from the looks of that, i would replace both sides. you may as well just do the BJ and control arm at the same time.

bj = ball joint, btw, fellas.

G35Leb

Hey did u figure out what the problem was and did u get it fixed? I think this is common with the G's mine started doing the same on my front driver side. Fluttering noise when I hit bumps and when I touch the brakes. Mine is. 2003 g35 sedan. I took it into my friends used car lot/mechanic shop to look at it. They had the same
exact car on their lot also 2003 g sedan with the same problem. They told me that they almost replaced the whole front end of the car, shocks, struts, lower and upper control arms, ball joints u name it and sound is still there. Now they are stuck with the car on their lot and cant figure out the problem. They lifted my car up anyway and couldn't see any obvious problems so I just left it as is cuz I don't wanna end up changing the whole front end like they did for nothing. Let me know if u figured something out thank u. :wtf2:

jpayyy
Car: Infiniti G35 seadan

Hey did someone have figure it out the problem? I have the same problem on my G35 2003 seadan. I have already changed compression rod but the problem it still there.. Does anybody have a finale way to tend this problem? Thank you in advance guy's
JP

DozenG35
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 RWD

I have the same problem on my 03 G35. Didn't notice it really until this spring when i started driving with windows down again. Long story short, after a long Indiana winter I had my shocks and struts change. I had just crossed 100k miles and the ride was getting soft, lots of body roll. So following that I changed my brakes and put summer tires back on. Then noticed this horrible clacking noise when going over even the most subtle of bump, predominately in the driver side front. I was thinking wheel bearing, or tie rod end, but on jacks had no movement in the wheel, rock solid (that is pushing back and forth on the tire, not the steering wheel). I wiggled the tie rod ends anyways, and really still no movement, however i can move the sway bar links with just two fingers, effortless. A friend of mine tells me thats a likely suspect, so I ordered new ones, but in between also heard all about the compression rod controversy, so why not, I ordered those too. Changed compression rods the other night, test drive on a rough road, the noise is significantly reduced, and the ride quality a bit stiffer, but still a slight clacking. So tonight I'm gonna change out the sway bar links and see what that does. Hopefully that is the nail in the clack coffin.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

How did replacing the sway bar links work? I'd also suggest replacing the sway bar bushings.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”