HELP clanking noise in timing chain housing.

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
mohlenbrock1997
Car: 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5L SE package

Hi i have a 2004 Nissan Altima with the 3.5 engine SE package and the automatic 4 speed transmission.
I was driving Friday night when my car suddenly died. I pulled over and tried starting with no luck so i got it towed back to my house.
after getting it to my house i removed my intake manifold in attempt to try to locate a clanking sound coming from the left side of my engine. after about 8 hours of messing around in my engine i located where the sound was coming from using a automotive stethoscope i picked up. the noise is coming from the front upper housing of my timing chain housing. In my diagnostic procedure i also became aware of bad spark plugs. i replaced these and still have no spark but at least i know the plugs are good now. I am planning on opening up my timing chain housing and trying to locate the issue however i would like any advice or opinions on what you guys think the issue might be. I greatly appreciate any help as i am a newbie to the automotive world of engines and only 17 years old going into collage for automotive mechanics. I love getting the best help from my fellow car experts so thank you for all you guys do when reading these threads.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

I am no expert, but it is possible that your timing chain slipped a tooth or two, which is not good news. This is an interference type engine, and quite possibly as the cams and crankshaft went out of timing, the pistons and the valves have collided, and the damage will not be pretty. i hope that is not the case with your car. Good luck.

Knightofnachos
Car: 2005 Alti SE-R 5at. Busted a** POS. Smoke(d)

new-member-intro-oh-and-my-se-r-is-busted-t600011.html
see my post^^
also of note: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fixur ... lletin.pdf
Piece of junk chain guides. Nissan knows of this issue, did nothing about it. Whatver, though. It is what it is and I need a motor. Don't let it get away from you. stop driving the car and get it fixed ASAP. Either do it yourself or take it in to a shop or dealer. Except about $1500-1800 at the dealer from what I'm told and wildly varying estimates from the independent guys ranging from $400-1100 depending on who you talk to. The parts needed are about $110 for this repair. My .02 and as always YMMV. Best of luck. I am going to toss a junkyard motor in my hotrod out of an 08 Alti with 80k on it. Going to refresh the VCG's, bomba de agua aka water pump, front engine seals, rear main, tensioners, and v-belts. :poke:

mohlenbrock1997
Car: 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5L SE package

thanks for the input i am about 90% into my engine just need to borrow a impact gun for removing my crankshaft pulley and then a few other bolts then i should be in. i don't believe the pistons and valves have collided as i should have heard something right? anyway once im into it i will post pictures and keep you guys up to date if your interested or have any further advice thanks again for all you guys do.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”