Help choosing PDA/Pocket PC for in-car use

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

I have nissan consult in my Z and want to find a PDA/PC to use with it. I want something that I can use with a cradle, obviously a decent size color screen, and the ability to use as a gps would be sweet too.

I have used MS streets and trips before on my laptop and liked it, but the newer gps units I get in rental cars are much easier to use and have a lot of cool features like restaurants, gas, etc. I still have the gps antenna but have lost the streets and trips CD's for it. This was back in 05' anyways.

Any input is welcomed. I don't have a clue where to start searching, what kind of GPS apps work well, etc. I don't want to have NASA going on in my ride, IE: PDA, Stiletto2, GPS, etc. so I would like one that can do both gps and consult.

I would need some type of serial/usb switch as well yes? To switch between gps ant and consult cable?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Sony makes a new "pocket sized" 8'' widescreen notebook you might look into (called the P Series). It has a 1.8GHz processor and Vista, so it's a "real" computer (unlike most of those early Eee/netbooks). It has two USB ports so you would be able to use a consult interface as well as a GPS antenna with it. Kind of pricey, though, at $1000. And it has no serial data ports if you're using a serial consult cable rather than USB. The need for a USB GPS antenna might sound unappealing at first, but when you think about where you'll want the PC for ideal viewing, it's not the same place you'd have a GPS antenna for ideal reception, so it's actually a benefit if you are willing to tolerate the cost and additional cable.

On the other end of the spectrum, Garmin used to make (but has discontinued) a line of PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices with integrated GPS called "iQue." You might want to try and find a used one.

And of course another option is to get a newer GPS-enabled Windows Mobile or Palm smart phone. Bear in mind, though, that a lot of service providers patch the phone software to lock out use of the GPS hardware unless you pay them a monthly fee. The GPS can be unlocked permanently but it requires hacking the phone's firmware.

Were you ever able to find a consult program for PDAs? I'd base my decision on that...whichever has better support for the consult software is the one I'd go with. GPS is available on pretty much any platform, consult isn't.

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

I think I want too much.

First was consult, then gps, now I'm looking at iPhone's and their dynolicious and speed apps, they also have gps. Dammit. I have a beater Toshiba laptop to use with consult but it's just too cumbersome, the battery is dead and I have to use it with an invertor and it's just a pain.

Does the iPhone have a consult app? lol That would be the ticket right there!

Return to “Computers / Electronics”