HELP! Cannot get car into neutral... where's the shift lock thing?

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
chadinark
Car: '84 Nissan Z31 50th AE A/T

Ok dumb question time here but my car (84 z31 50th AE, auto trans) won't start (long story) but as a result I can't get it to shift into neutral so i can roll it into garage and work on it. I move the shifter but nothing is happening. I have to engage a shift lock override or something right? Newer cars have it pretty much right there by the shifter where you can insert a screwdriver or something , but I don't see any slots or holes or anythng like that on this ole girl... Anyone know how to override the shift lock so I can get it into neutral, even if car/battery dead, etc?
thanks
chad

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:
All of the safety interlock parts are right there at the shifter. If you remove four screws and take out the console section you can see everything you need to to figure it out. When your engine is running you should see a solenoid rotate 45 degrees clockwise when you push the brake. This allows your button mechanism to raise the lock rod out of the gate. You should be able to hear this solenoid with the console on as well. The other switch on right hand side is the one that tells the key release that you are in park. For your problem I think you will find that the solenoid is not rotating. If you do have voltage going to it when the brake is applied the solenoid is bad.

chadinark

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am
:welcome:
All of the safety interlock parts are right there at the shifter. If you remove four screws and take out the console section you can see everything you need to to figure it out. When your engine is running you should see a solenoid rotate 45 degrees clockwise when you push the brake. This allows your button mechanism to raise the lock rod out of the gate. You should be able to hear this solenoid with the console on as well. The other switch on right hand side is the one that tells the key release that you are in park. For your problem I think you will find that the solenoid is not rotating. If you do have voltage going to it when the brake is applied the solenoid is bad.
thanks so much Sir. So I guess there's not an easy access slot or anything eh. You actually have to remove the console?!

I'm not seeing these 4 screws either?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

This might be helpful.

chadinark

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm
This might be helpful.
yes, very helpful, thank you sir!

Hoping maybe someone will chime in with a "oh wait there's a much easier way to get it into neutral" comment but if not, you've definitely helped me nevertheless.

thanks

chadinark

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm
This might be helpful.
ok so I took your advice and got all the way down under the shifter etc... I can see the linkage moving back and forth etc, but still it's like nothing actually happens. Trans is not actually shifting. There has to be some kind of solenoid or something that has it locked up, right? I know when the car was starting I could get it into N, gear etc, so I really don't think anything is wrong with the transmission itself. Any other ideas, anyone?
Thanks!

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”