Help! Battery Dead, how to open the trunk?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
l1990790120
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

So I have a 08 versa sedan sitting in my garage. Haven't touched it for almost a year so battery's completely dead. I am just trying to get my things in trunk before I can get rid of it.

I tried to use the key to open my trunk, but unfortunately I've spray different stuff in the lock but the key won't turn. Anyone has any idea how can I open the trunk? Breaking the lock is fine, but even so I am not sure what's the best way to do it, I just really need to get my stuff so I can get rid of the car.

Appreciated!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Did you try folding down the rear seats?

macgiver

mac, try what every one does to "Jump " a car - jumper cables , battery charger , Jump-start-box , etc. BUT try IF you can to disconnect & to ELIMINATE that bad/old battery . For SOME of the aforementioned methods may become "Loaded down" from bad batt. to be INNEFFECTIVE! NOW simply push trunk release , @ drvr. door? (me thinks you've implied no-power= no-pushbutton action right?) :rotfl IF 'n crawling thru a folded back seat - CAR SO SMALL , HAVE SOMEONE THERE to help you
WHEN YOU DO GET STUCK in trunk :facepalm:

l1990790120

hmmm i don't think the rear seats fold at all with 08 sedan, i tried to pry every possible way but the seats won't go loose. I could potentially jump start, but somehow the thing that pops the hood also don't work :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

l1990790120

So frustrated ... if i could just drill somewhere behind plate to pop the thing open or just break the lock whatever what should i do!!!?

macgiver

mac , OK I didn't want to suggest drilling out CENTER of lock "cylinder" for it takes EXPERIENCE , need just the RIGHT SIZE drillbit , you then turn with a "jammed-in" screwdriver , YOU MAY BE LEFT with TOTALLY INOPERABLE MECHANISM, and then of course worse than "back to square-one" :facepalm: Now IF 'n not worried about what a Locksmith may discover in there,don't they open trunks like that for $40 bucks !!!!! :inout:The "Hollywood" method using prybar is highly over-rated,
needs GOLDBERG to pull-off!!! :taz:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

REMOVE the rear seat if it does not fold. First the bottom half to expose the top method of retention. Just did a Versa, maybe 10 minutes work.

But then if one gives up too easy on the folding seat or getting the hood latch undone (go UNDER the front of car) then one is left to utter butchery there.

I have not a clue as to how to get into the trunk but then I would be able to do it in less than a half hour for sure and likely no damage at all. Just cannot say exactly how without being there.

If you have a sharp enough slot screwdriver with a stout handle (odd combo that) then simply punching the screwdriver tip deep into the lock assembly keyslot will commonly let it rotate using force (visegrips on the shaft, square shaft being better) to get the latch undone. How I get junkyard trunks open all day long.

macgiver

mac, OK I just put 2+2 together - you can't get hood to open to jump eh? :facepalm: You CAN still try to INTRODUCE battery / 12VDC into car to try door's (implied HAS) TRUNK-RELEASE ! Do a MCGYVER rigged plug INTO CIG Ltr.(ACC. Recep.) connected to 12VDC , NOW push door's trunk release , may have to turn keyto ACC or even ON/RUN - WHAT-NO KEY ??? :spitout: Then butcher drvr's door liner - get to release sw. and HOT-WIRE it ! :lolling: Similar hotwire is - smash brake lt. lens , hot wire brake-lght ckt , same procedure as above but you would additionally depress brake pedal to "Backfeed" 12VDC into car's system .(shops use little battery box plugged to Cig Ltr to keep "Memories" alive when swapping batts.) :yesnod

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

X2..................at some point the rear harness with the trunk activation wire runs somewhere past the back seat, usually at the outrigger under the cover or carpet side edge. One would need a schematic to know which wire though.

macgiver

mac , it sounds like Dr. Evil is trying to retrieve the 2Million (billion) Dollars worth of Di-Lithium (Dilauded) Crystals from the trunk of a 1970 Fleetwood Limo parked at the far end of LAX , with Quark - Click & Clack two Elvi impersonators Angelyne and 6 tubes of Astro-glide ! :rotflmao

l1990790120

haha thanks guuys .... i think i'll start with something small -- screw driver, then graudally progressing to crowbar if I have to, i *hope* one of these should work. the battery and electronic stuff is just .... ugh, i am not smart enough for it.

macgiver

mac , I see you appreciate a good (bad?) joke , us "watercooler-experts" here appreciate the many situations and questions people have - kinda like doing a crossword puzzle for car repair strategy . :yesnod In all the posts I saw try the one from amc - the getting a screw driver to "Jam into" lock cylinder - fairly deep ,like at least 1/2 " AND using Visegrips locked on handle - then carefully - slowly use powerful twisting torque in Clockwise direction (probably what a locksmith would resort to , given the "go ahead"). If does'nt work though , key may never fit , you gotta drill next the key's cylinder -something like that , and at this point ,success sort of drops more as each attemp may fail :tisk: Now ,of course I'm just focusing on the key -lock and we're not DISMISSING any other aforementioned methods. p.s. Just ask Dr. Evil for the key :rotfl

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Don't overlook removing the back seat, they DO come out.

Do NOT attempt to simply jack the lid open with a crowbar, it would be an excellent lesson in how strong a piece of latch wire can be. You need to force the lock assembly not the latch.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”