Help a potential buyer decide

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.

Your opinion please?

05-08 M45 - bit cheaper / more aftermarket
No votes
2009 M45 - No replacement for displacement!
50%
X Factor - M35 HR Option!?
No votes
2006 G35 with HR Glorry
50%

Total votes: 2

Brownrice
Car: Drag RB25 240sx hatch
Track EVO IX
Drift KA 240sx coupe
Tow Rig Big Diesel Dually Truck!

Hello Group,

I've been away for far too long. Please don't roast me if I'm in the wrong section. I did search but only found posts from long ago.

I Would like to hear some opinions regarding a new daily driver. I'm a bit of an older Nissan fan and looking to see if anyone would like to participate in a discussion regarding the 2006 G35 Sedan (specifically 2006 because of the 3.5 HR motor) vs a 2009 M45 (mainly because I haven't owned a V8 and updated exterior styling but open to pre-2009) to help me decide.

I did some research and mpg seems to be a wash between the two. Interior volume advantage seems to go to the M45 but only in extra length room as the width is minimal in difference when compared to the G35. I tend to tinker with my toys and G35 has the advantage there by far in terms of aftermarket support. Interior comfort, materials, and technology goes to the M45. Speed performance is not necessarily top priority here either as neither is maximum mpg. I guess I'm looking for smiles per gallon here :)

Anyone have any opinions on the matter or personal experience they'd like to share to help me narrow down my decision? Commute is between 25-35 miles one way per day

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate Post Deleted

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Doing this all over, I would get or try to find an 09-10 M35 because they have the 7-speed auto. Plus the V6s tend to be more reliable than the V8 from a purely mechanical standpoint. These cars are going on a decade and a half old, and in that time, between oil burning and such, if the previous owner wasn't super diligent about oil changes and topping off the oil from time to time, there could very easily be mechanical problems from the engine later on. The V8 in the M45 isn't particularly tolerable to abuse in those regards.

This is all the info I know, but without knowing what you find alluring in a vehicle it's hard to tell you what to get. On the inside these cars feel bigger than the G35/37 I've been in. And the rear actually has decent leg room as well. Make sure you get the technology package if it is the M series, they come with the 14-speaker Bose system which is very nice. As far as MPG the G35 will easily beat the M45 in that regard. On an average trip going 75-80 I usually get around 19-20 mpg..on the highway! A G35 shouldn't ever dip that low so big differences there. The G35 doesn't seem to have cracking dashboard problems as much as the M series either. The G37 I know have cracked dashboards that they're plagued with. Many members are able to get a new dash for their car when Infiniti does the airbag recall though.

Brownrice
Car: Drag RB25 240sx hatch
Track EVO IX
Drift KA 240sx coupe
Tow Rig Big Diesel Dually Truck!

Thank you for the reply LIBRILZ, I appreciate you taking the time for your input. Two M45's that I'm looking at have service records from purchase with all maintenance at their interval levels. Also, do you have experience in the M35? My only fear is that lack of torque from the v6 vs the v8 in a heavy car, do you think the 7 speed helps counter that concern?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

M35/V6 variant is plenty quick, unless you're planning to be Mario Andretti or Schumacher. More reliable than the V8, like LIBRILZ said, but still a nice car if you find a well cared for one.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Brownrice wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:16 pm
Thank you for the reply LIBRILZ, I appreciate you taking the time for your input. Two M45's that I'm looking at have service records from purchase with all maintenance at their interval levels. Also, do you have experience in the M35? My only fear is that lack of torque from the v6 vs the v8 in a heavy car, do you think the 7 speed helps counter that concern?
Absolutely enough torque, drive one for yourself though. But I can tell you the M45 powerband drops off sharply after 80 mph. The gearing just isn't there. All in all though it's still kinda cool to have a V8 in your sedan.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”