help a newbie with drifting

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
mirakulist
Car: hip-hop and mah car

what do i need to start practicing drifting? Where can i practice at without cops messin with me? I live in Covina in Cali... Any clubs i could join? Thanks!

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

Empty parking lot + stock car + lots of seat time

EDIT: yeah it helps to have money for gas, tires and broken parts too.

Bunta240

Unless you have someone to show you how to do everything. Id reccomend watching videos and reading up. Cant do to much research.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

Yeah, Best motor drift bible is a pretty good video, but it doesnt hold a flame to just going out to a parking lot and whipping the car around.

D1SR240
Car: 2002 BMW M5
1991 Nissan 240SX

start going out when it rains, (or snows, but i don't think it cali) then you start to get a feel for the throttle when going sideways

ca18det_boy

LATE LATE LATE at night when no one is one the road, go to a very remote parking lot. If you see a car then book it. At that late time chances are that it's a cop.

SienSil80
Car: 88' R31 Skyline
85' DR30 Skyline
85' AE86 Trueno
65' RT40 Corona

yea definately go out in the rain, especially with the rainy season here in Cali. Going thru turns in the rain allows you to learn throttle control and proper counter-steering at a much slower environment versus doing it at higher speeds on dry roads. It also helps for us cheepskates on the tires. Try to find a place that doesnt have alot of things on the side, and not much of a curb so that if you do lose it, it's not a big deal. As for the cops, eh, it's easier to convince them you lost control on accident in the rain then it is when they catch you driving sideways thru a turn at 40-60mph on dry roads.

DriftBandit
Car: this is my 3rd 240sx

You cant really do research or watch movies about how to do it, Its more of getting your car to oversteer and learn how it responds, then try different things to try to control it like throttle, brakes, hand brake, ect. It just takes time and practice.

Just becareful out there and be safe, drifting has already blown-up and alot of inexperienced kids try to do it on public roads and are crashing, Lets not give drifting a bad name.

-Jon

ca18det_boy

too late.....its here.....its polpular......cops know it......anyone who does it is obviously a criminal....

DriftBandit

Yeah I know, but we could try and do our part by staying off public roads and being safe.

Isnt it too bad drifting became so popular, I remember it used to be something my friends and I did to mess around with our cars and have fun, Now all the kids at the local shops are talking about it, and they know all the japanese drivers names and everything? It saddens me, Oh well I know it was inevitable, and I guess it brings alot of good sponsors and products to the U.S.

Well, I wont let it stop me from doing what I love to do,

-Jon

annunziato39
Car: 1990 240 (auto) sold 1992 240 260,000+ miles (rip) 1991 240 (sold) 2007 Infiniti G35 sport 6-speed (Current)

I found the snow is great to first start. The initial turn in, throttle and counter steering is all there, but at 10 mph. Its hard to explain, just go out and do. Mustering up the balls to fling your car at a wall or curb with you in it is the hardest part.

JohnI3laze

Definitely try it in the rain or snow(if available) first. it's easier to get a feel for the throttle but can mislead you about the grip capabilities of your tires. If you have the money then get some new suspension components right off. shocks/springs or coilovers will help you immensely and sway bars will help you a little more. Stiffening up the chassis and steering response will make the difference between hitting that guardrail or just barely missing it.

Cyberkreig
Car: 1993 240sx (SR )

skiped the thread.

do it off public roads. Be careful. Be prepaired to bash your car up.

GrEy240SX

yea definately practice late at night. helps if you have ppl going with you. Whenever our team goes out...even though its late...we all have walkie talkies and send out atleast 2 ppl to watch out for cops at the closest intersection and stuff. just be careful!! be prepared to fixing stuff! and have fun!

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

Don't start out going too fast. Start at really low speeds.. and gradually pick up the speeds after you've gotten better. Otherwise you might be overwhelmed.. and you might break something.. :(

GEO
Car: 95 240sx KA-T

Don't drift..

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

when you first start, i wouldnt recomend going with anyone else or any other cars. i know when i started drifting, being by myself was the best. you dont have anyone to break your concentration or disract you. i know it sounds stupid, but this makes a huge differance. also, you dont try to show off in front of your freinds and do something totaly stupid. once you get good you can flaunt your moves, but id wait a while.

Kelso
Car: bass,punk rock, surfing, cars

ok well there is a very good informational video about an hour long all about drifting, correctly. its keichi tsunachi's drift bible(i butchered his name but i dunno how its spelled) usually theres copies online and stuff. the drift kings drift bible. you could prolly search for 'drift bible' on ebay and get it. watch it, then find a remote place and do the entry level power-off drift. it lets you get a feel for your car. and i think some good advice IMO would be: be afraid. dont get too comfortable with it because then you **** up because you think your so good. then you crash and die because you were being stupid.

DarkStar
Car: '93 Sil80

Large empty parking lot (an inch or two of snow will help you get the feel of the car when loss of traction occurs) pick up some ****ty rear tires from a junk yard and enjoy.

DriftBandit

Why do you want to learn how to drift anyways??

L0sT

does drifting **** up your alignment alot? i think i gota check mine...how is kyb agx's with eibach pro's? any other combinations you guys recomend?

spec-u-later
Car: Yaris...FML

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriftBandit "]Why do you want to learn how to drift anyways?? [/QUOT

Because its fun?:confused:

s86d
Car: autocross, backroad racing, and working on 240's

that and you can only drive in a straight line for so long before you turn... Autocross is a decent substitute for drifting

Puchi

s86d wrote:that and you can only drive in a straight line for so long before you turn... Autocross is a decent substitute for drifting

Not to mention Autocross is legal.

dekand
Car: 1995 240sx SE

why does everyone hate on everyone? i mean seriously if the guy wants to drift dont bash him, give him advice like "do it in a parking lot, off the streets" but dont try to stop him thats stupid.

I dont drift, i have gotten sideways a few times and yes its fun but if i want to get into drifting i will buy an s13 with a messed up body already so i dont care if i screw it up lol...

just keep it off the streets man.

mirakulist
Car: hip-hop and mah car

thanks alot guys! u guys r really helpful... yeah i started to drift, well not really i was a wanna be... i own mah 2nd s13, since tha first time i crashed mah first one, i realize i was being dumb n sh*t. i took mah car to tha cyn's stock... and yeah i guess u could picture it, HAHAHA well.... now imma do it tha right way and not think like i'm a harda$$ acting like i'm a pro driver. once again thanks!

EazyBreazy

go to the club 4ag drift days. legal practice. controled environment, stafety staff, legal, they have instructors, you could probably ride with someone that is already decent at drifting to watch their style and methods for gettting sideways. plus its legal

F4ucc
Car: motorsports

Well, again.

TRYhttp://www.club4ag.com since you live in CA, it's your best chance to learn as they have drifting event virtually every month.BTW, drifting isn't easy though. many ppl accidently fishtail they cars and call that a drift, that isn't though.

get yourself a LSD because you need that before any modification!!

Keep in mind, as a newbie DON'T contersteer yourself, JUST keep you hands off the steeringwheel as soon as the car get sideways.Well, just go to Drifting Day host by Club4ag and you will learn so much in one day with a instructor. Some of them are actually D1 qualified drivers !!

anyway, good luck.

EazyBreazy

that what i said. coppycat.

also think about this. 120 for drift day

prolly more than that for all the tickets the cop can pile on you plus they'll begin to look for your car out early mornin time. not worth the hassle. leave all the underground backroad runninroundsideways for the people who can afford new cars and high tickets

F4ucc
Car: motorsports

Sorry man, no copycat.......I post the clube4ag.com infor however some dicided to erase it from this post !!

anyway, later

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”