Help - 2015 Q70 Intermittent Brake Malfunction

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
dalap83
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 5.6L AWD Black

Here's what I expect is the final chapter: I got my car back last night after spending a week with a pretty nice Q70 loaner. My car was shiny clean, vacuumed, and working like a charm (they even found and fixed the door vibration brought on by loud classic rock music). The dealership at which I bought the car, Gregory Infiniti in Libertyville, IL, did it right; this is how to build a repeat customer. Gerard, the Service Consultant, and United States Marine Steve, the expert Infiniti-certified Journeyman Technician, managed to get the necessary approvals to order and install a new brake booster and pressure sensor switch even though they had not been able to replicate the issue. For the record, Steve wrote that his instinct was that replacing the brake booster and master cylinder would do the trick. At the end of last week, they called me and told me that they had found a leak in the master cylinder and as a result there was brake fluid in the brake booster. Now it has all been repaired, and as my toddler grandson said this morning, VROOM VROOM!

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

I'm really glad to hear that. Thanks so much for your understanding and patience through the process. Have a great holiday!

dalap83

Unfortunately, the saga continues. Despite the dealer's attempts to fix my brakes, my car continues after a long drive to, without warning, require me to press the pedal all the way to the floor in order to stop. If I don’t immediately notice when the malfunction reoccurs, as it has dozens of times, I will crash into whatever or whoever is in front of me. I am afraid to drive my car.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Curious if maybe the parts failed again in the same fashion as the originals...if there is fluid in the brake booster.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

I'm going on a hunch that it's still the brake booster.

k67p67
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 Premium
2017 Nissan 370Z Nismo Tech

Just curious...when the problem occurs, is it during straight-line braking or immediately after a turn?

dalap83

I have not noticed a connection between malfunction and turning but it appears to happen only after a long (90 minute) drive. And once it malfunctions, it continues to do so until I park and shut it down for a while.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Well, like I mentioned when we talked, this repair was all a hunch based on symptoms you were describing. What will more than likely happen now is engineering will be involved and possibly come and assist or advise on a diagnosis. Really, the only left in the braking system that hasn't been replaced is the EBCM (electronic brake control module). I happened to see the car at work today because I was in trying to fix my M35 that decided to break a window regulator in the line for my coffee this morning at McDonald's when it was -5.

I thought for sure when I saw your master cylinder leaking we had it fixed for sure, but unfortunately that's not the case. Did it seem to be better or happen less frequently since I've replaced the above mentioned parts?

dalap83

It happened twice since you last saw it. And like the past few times before this, both recent times it started to malfunction only after I drove in heavy traffic for 90 minutes. That's the constant. I'm frustrated, as I'm sure you are. I sent a lawyer nastygram and copied Infiniti legal and corporate. I do appreciate the effort; the dealer sent someone to my home this morning to drop off a Q50 loaner and take my Q70 to the shop. I'm putting my faith in you.

dalap83

Day 9 without my car (this time around) due to this brake malfunction. Very frustrated.

dalap83

My letter:
This coming Monday will mark 3 weeks that you have had my car in your service shop, during this, the 6th time, you have unsuccessfully tried to fix my car’s potentially dangerous and deadly brake malfunction described below.

This week marked the one-year anniversary of the date that I traded in my Infiniti M-45x and proudly purchased this approximately $75,000 2015 5.6L Infiniti Q70. I was proud to be a loyal customer and purchase my third Infiniti vehicle. Now, you have had the car in your service shop over 10% of the time I have owned it. I am enraged.

I advised you that the malfunction occurs after 90-120 minutes of driving in traffic. Your service advisor told me this week that you have put 400 miles on the car during this visit alone. I am skeptical that this was all done during 90-120 minute drives in traffic. Anything less than that time is useless, and a waste of my property given how I have related to you my experience with this malfunction. My car is not to be used as your employees’ fancy shuttle. I demand that you maintain a daily written log setting forth the driver, the time and distance that the car is driven, and the results of the attempt to diagnose the malfunction/defect. I will check with you regularly, and expect that the log will be sent to me from time to time upon demand. Anything short of driving 90-120 minutes in traffic will not help to diagnose and fix the problem, given that that is the only trigger I have experienced each of the many times the malfunction has occurred. I will consider any use of my car other than to diagnose and fix this problem to be a violation of my permission to drive the car for this purpose.

Mr. Mauro, I am shocked that you, as the owner of Gregory Infiniti, have not had the courtesy and professionalism to call me and explain to me what you intend to do about this egregious situation and how you will use your relationship with the manufacturer to address this potentially dangerous and deadly situation resulting from their defective flagship product.

I am done being your victim. This day marks the day that I will begin to use my talents and resources to make my nightmare your worst nightmare.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

I suggest your solutions involve a man to man conversation and not a letter to the paper.
This is a bad break and you have big money tied up in this but if your interest is in resolution it will be done face to face not on a computer.
All the sympathy in the world from this chat wont get your car back in the garage.

dalap83

To his credit, Mr Mauro and his sales manager promptly called me to discuss the situation and promised to focus on a solution.

mazz

promptly? you have the patience of a saint ,3 weeks and 10% of ownership time aint prompt . nice guys don't win this discussion

Ilya

mazz wrote:I suggest your solutions involve a man to man conversation and not a letter to the paper.
This is a bad break and you have big money tied up in this but if your interest is in resolution it will be done face to face not on a computer.
All the sympathy in the world from this chat wont get your car back in the garage.
I think the opposite.

Step 1: Letter
Step 2: Personal sit down

It's much easier to get your thoughts down on paper than it is in the heat of the moment (possibly) in a meeting. Not everyone is good in those situations.

dalap83

As a lawyer, I like to think I'm effective in writing and in person. They tried replacing the actuator, but I'll never know if that did the trick. That's for the next owner to worry about. I just returned home with my showroom-new replacement 2015 Q70. Infiniti stepped up and took back the defective vehicle and gave me a new one. Same options, but black instead of blue, and 15,000 fewer miles on it.

Ilya

Sucks that it came to that, but it is at least good to know that Infiniti didn't tell you to bugger off and instead owned up to it (whatever it is). Hopefully this one gives you no trouble like most of our cars.

mazz

That is a happy ending sorry about your troubles and the length of time it took but it should assure us you took the right path and Infiniti is capable of correct choice. Enjoy your new black car

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”