Helmets!

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Well im going to start doing events like I stated eariler, and I need to get a helmet...

“M” or “SA” Snell rated 1995 or newer and have a chin strap. Please note that SA95 andM95 Snell rated helmets will no longer remain legal as of 12/31/2006.

Bsaicsally i need to know where to buy this stuff, and what to look for. It appears that Snell is a rating system for helmets, and M/SA are different classifications, and the number is the year they are rated for?

Thanks!

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

SA is the snell designation for auto helmets

M is the snell designation for motorcycle helmets

youre not going to find new 95 helmets anymore, heck finding new 00 helmets is going to be getting harder and harder

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

elwesso wrote:Well im going to start doing events like I stated eariler, and I need to get a helmet...

“M” or “SA” Snell rated 1995 or newer and have a chin strap. Please note that SA95 andM95 Snell rated helmets will no longer remain legal as of 12/31/2006.

Bsaicsally i need to know where to buy this stuff, and what to look for. It appears that Snell is a rating system for helmets, and M/SA are different classifications, and the number is the year they are rated for?

Thanks!
Most speed shops carry them. I tried several on at "Driving Impressions"which is a chain of race equiplment stores located at many racetracks. I also asked several friends which features they liked/disliked. Once I found a make/model and size. I went bargain hunting. Racer Wholesale gave me a very good price via mailorder.

The Snell ratings are good about 10 years, so SA95's are pretty much done, though some HPDE's and Autocrossers will allow them til the end of this year. M is for motorcyles. some auto events permit them, some won't. If you're only doing car events, go with SA. You want to buy new. Never buy used. Remember, Your brain might be your second favorite organ, but you can't function without it, so don't skimp with a $40 used one on Ebay that's only good for 8 more months. You want to buy probably an SA05 or 06, which will last you 10 years.

I went with a full face without a visor because I drive an enclosed car. But I also went for a helmet with an extra wide opening as I wear glasses and normally have a headset on. Bell SR Pro II. You just gotta try a bunch on and see what you like.

zukitek
Car: 95 240SX-SE

Im an active SCCA member and as I understand it ....youre correct that m95 and SA95 is gonna be out of date on 12/06 .SA 95 is good for solo and TT, till then, then I would invest in nothing but SA2K or newer because M of any date only makes you good for solo and not TT or club or pro SCCA ,SA leaves the most options .

Ricky

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I'm in Florida......any idea on where to find one???Def. need to try on before forking out cash

240marcuSX
Car: E34 525i
E46 M3

You can pretty much go on google and type in the brand of helmet, (bell, pyrotect, arai, sparco, g-force, etc) and look around for the best deal.

The same helmet is going to cost almost exactly the same amount anywhere you look unless its a closeout (SA2000), but some places give you more free stuff, free shipping.

I dont know if anybody said this, but SA rated (motorsports) helmets are rated for the fire-proof lining inside the helmet. M rated (motorcycle) helmets dont have fire-proof lining, because they dont need it.

I just bought a pyrotect full face SA2005 helmet recently, I like it alot, and cant wait to use it, I got a free cotton balaclava and bag with it.

I ordered from apexperformance.com, because they gave me the free stuff, and shipping. They had a hard time with my debit card and overdrafted my account, but they were pretty quick to refund the money, and reimburse the overdraft fees.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

ill be ordering mine from http://www.cdoc.com/

theyve had a trailer at the glen a bunch of times, and have much more than helmets and stuff, and they have at least as good as if not better prices than other places ive seen

moyea
Car: Paddle Shifted 92 240SX SR20DET, 02 Frontier S/C, 90 240sx ITA

Try Zamps. Call them for the clearence helmets they dont have listed. I got my SA00 for $80. Which is still legal for HPDE, auto X, and more.

PrimeS14
Car: S14.5

we carry auto helmets check out our site at http://www.gtfabrications.com

or email us at [email protected]

we can also get carbon helmets for those interestred.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”