Helmets

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
Kenrik
Car: 240Sx Coupe, G35 Coupe, Versa Hatch

I searched and I could not find any information i'm looking for a helemet to use in Autox/Drift/Anything else racing related. And I could not figure what to buy they all were talking about what specifications they require but not actually the helmet choices or where to buy them. Anyone know a good helmet that is under $100 and is approved for these events?

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

absolute minimal for autox is Snell 90 (basically a motorcycle helmet). You can go to a local motorcycle shop and ask them for snell 90 helmets, they'll know what you are talking about.

Drifting may be a little more strict.

Road racing you need minimal sa2000, or sa2005 helmets - which will all run around 300+.

If you want to be safe, get an sa2005. These range from Simpson, Bell, Shoei, etc.

Or you can buy a $5 headsock (or one for skiing etc) and just use the loaner helmets at the track til you decide what helmet you want to get.

Kenrik

brokeAs240sx wrote:absolute minimal for autox is Snell 90 (basically a motorcycle helmet). You can go to a local motorcycle shop and ask them for snell 90 helmets, they'll know what you are talking about.

Drifting may be a little more strict.

Road racing you need minimal sa2000, or sa2005 helmets - which will all run around 300+.

If you want to be safe, get an sa2005. These range from Simpson, Bell, Shoei, etc.

Or you can buy a $5 headsock (or one for skiing etc) and just use the loaner helmets at the track til you decide what helmet you want to get.
What about the Bell motor cycle helmets at wallmart? where is it listed what classification it is?

underground57
Car: '93 240sx fastback, '04 Frontier

Actually, I believe for SCCA autoX events, you need at least a snell2000 (sa2000 or M2000). I think they upped the requirement a couple years ago. You can get an open face HJC or similar helmet from any online motorcycle or autocross store for about $70 or a closed face one for $80. When I bought mine a few years back, I went to a motorcycle shop and tried on helmets to get the sizing right and then I got lucky and found an open face for $60 shipped. By the way, I opted for an open face because I get a little claustrophobic with the closed face ones. This is fine with the SCCA, but you might want to double-check to see if the events you plan on attending say anything specific on this.

I am unfamiliar with what drift requirements are, but they might be different depending on the organization holding the event and the venue the event is held at. Although the likelyhood of you flipping the car is pretty slim, if there's any possibility of a wall collision, you may want to invest in something that's built for that type of impact.

underground57

Kenrik wrote:
What about the Bell motor cycle helmets at wallmart? where is it listed what classification it is?
If it doesn't say either on the box or any paperwork that comes with it, it should be labeled on the inside of the helmet. You may have to lift up some of the padding to find it. If for some strange reason, it doesn't say there, try googling it.

Kenrik

http://www.walmart.com/catalog...40484

here is a link to the one at walmart they have it instock at my walmart so I could try it on

underground57

I would say go and check the label on that one. From the looks of it, it's only DOT approved which means it probably won't meet the requirements. If it is though, that's really cheap for a Bell helmet.

Here's a link with info on what the ratings mean.http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/faq/auto.htm#113

and here's an example of an online autocross shop. http://www.soloperformance.com....aspx

there's probably more out there than what they offer, but its a good start. Google is your friend. Also, like brokeas240 said, you may just want to go to an event and either use a loaner or borrow a friends helmet until you figure out what type of helmet you feel most comfortable with. Not sure if a head sock is legal, but definitely bring a towel to wipe down the loaner before and after you use it. They can get pretty sweat soaked after about the second run, which is kinda nasty to stick back on your head.

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

It is snell 90 - at least the upcoming ones on solo2.com specifically list it as minimum req.

The only ones I go to are practice events since you get a lot more runs, and they arent' as strict during practice.

Remember this tho:

motorcycle helmet - good for one large impact, gets weaker - may or may not qualify you for larger events... absolutely not for road racing & probably not drifting events.

sa2005 helmet - you are good all around

You can spend 300 now, or spend 100 now and 300 later...

If you are just doing autox, you should be perfectly fine - I would contact one of the ppl running the events on solo2.com (they have email & contact #) and ask them to be sure.

If you are gonna do it, do it right. If you can't afford a helmet, use loaners. You don't like stinky loaners... buy one.

This is about your safety: "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet."

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

iirc you can use one for 10 years after its rating, i believe since sa05 helmets were just released sa95 arent allowed anymore, you can only run sa00 or sa05 now

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

^^ there are a few decent coises for <200 but I wouldnt skimp so bad as to go with a $100 one...http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/I just got an open faced sn2005 pyrotech for ~150

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Red coupe wrote:^^ there are a few decent coises for <200 but I wouldnt skimp so bad as to go with a $100 one...http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/I just got an open faced sn2005 pyrotech for ~150
I agree. Your brain may be your second favorite organ, but it's your only brain. you definitely should not want to go cheap route with a $100 helmet.

I'm about to retire my SA95 helmet. I'm going to replace it with a SA2006, which are just coming out now to get the full 10 years use out of it.

91rs13
Car: Nismo 350Z
Datsun 510

Dodge Ram 1500

If you are running air bags in a car--SCCA has a recommendation (sp?) that you do not wear a full face helmet. It is not a rule yet, but could be in the future ( there is a lot of discssion going on over it--personally I prefer a closed face).

That said--if you like open face, the new snell ratings are out as mentioned above. You can get a good deal on a Snell 2000 rated helmet at many places. We bought G Force helmets for our loaner helmets, open face $90-$150--nice helmets, Snell rated.

My last full face ( which will be replaced this winter)--was about $250.

Do not cheap out on safety equipment. (less than than a Snell rated)--Think about it--How much is your head worth?

Check out http://www.soloracer.com and http://www.saferacer.com , http://www.ogracing.com in addition to the other links above. DJ

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

the walmart ones are crap. visit the other links listed above

-Dan

Kenrik

I got a KBC Snell M2000 helmet for $60 shipped. I checked the raitings before I bought it.. From what I read the major difference between a M2000 and a SA2006 is the fact that the SA have a fireproof lineing.

BTW I went for a closed face I prefer it and no I don't have airbags

My drift event is not very strict they just require a snell rated helmet.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

m is for motorcycles, fyi

thats the major difference, theyre made for a different crash situation

youll probably be ok for local stuff though

KATwo40
Car: 1993 240sx KA-T

Last year I wore my Motocross helmet. While it's no cheap helmet (Suomy featherweight), let me tell you -it's REALLY DIFFICULT to wear a full MX helmet in a car! (Yes, the visor stayed on, and yes, the window must be down, or you'll whack the glass when looking to the side)

I'll be getting a new helmet first of the year, specifically for the car. However, the funny thing is that no one at the autoX looked at me sideways over my MX helmet. haha.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Ok, this post is to clear up some things for everyone, so I'm just gonna list the things I wanna say:

M is for Motorcycle, SA is for Automotive

A DOT rated helmet is only good enough for somebody on a bike on the road. This is what you usually see harley-type bikers wearing.

M rated helmets are what you usually see crotch rocket bikers wearing. It is a much better helmet than a DOT helmet. SCCA and NASA both allow M rated helmets for autoXing. They allow them up to 10 years old. So an M95 helmet is good enough for autoxing until the end of the year. Then you have to go up to atleast an M2000 helmet.

SA rated helmets are what racecar drivers use. Most roadracing requires this rating. It is also recommended for autoxing, although not required. The 10 year rule applies to the SA rating as well. An SA95 helmet is good for roughly another month. Then you need atleast an SA2000 helmet.

I have an M95 helmet myself. I bought this because I was on a budget and couldn't afford an SA rated one. However, since the helmet expires in a few weeks, I plan on buying an SA2000 or SA2005 helmet to replace it.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”