Hello!

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Mikey1989
Car: 1989 240sx unmodified - original owner

New to the forum (actually new to forums of this type altogether) so please excuse any etiquette issues .

I am the proud owner of a stock 1989 s13 and am the original owner. The car was purchased in Vancouver BC where I lived at time before i moved East to Ontario. Once the kids came and i pulled my back out getting the baby seat in and out of the rear seat, i decided to get another vehicle but just couldn't part with 240 so i has sat in an underground parking garage for quite a while.

As my kids are now grown , I thought it might be great to start working on the car and involve them in the process.

I haven't had time to do too much research but enough to know that the car in its original state has become quite rare. So I would like to restore it with as much original or OEM or close to OEM as possible without breaking the bank.

Any ideas on where to start and approaches that people that have done similar things would be appreciated. Also any links to local garages / parts places in the GTA would be great.

Thanks for reading....

Mike

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Ahoy Mikey! Welcome aboard!

How many miles are on your car? Does it currently run and drive, or does it need work? I'm guessing at the very least it needs an oil change, some tires, and some gas haha.

Mikey1989

Thank you sir!

Ya, all the basics for sure ! :yesnod 150,000miles, battery is shot so I'm actually pulling it tonight. Boosted it a few weeks ago and started up fine but getting going was interesting. The clutch was barely engaging it definately needs some work / replacement. The suspension is another area that needs attention as its all original too.

Here are some pics from a little while back - only rust area is around the drivers door rear mirror
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XHC8S2tzpUZvGdPx1

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

It's nice to see another original owner S13 ! Mine is in southern California and has about 105,000 miles on it. It's the 1980 model year, single OHC 12 valve engine [ I like to let Toshio Watanabe, the Japanese J Q Public, find any latent defects in new cars before I buy the second year's production model]. It was my drive it to work Monday morning, park it at the airport Monday PM, pick it up Friday night and go food shopping on Saturday which may explain the low mileage. Enjoy your car!!!!!

Mikey1989

Thansk @MikeRL411 ! What I love about this car is all the stories and connections people have to the vehicle. Its amazing to see all the cool things people have done over the years to this amazing machine but eveyone seems to have a special place for it. Im also inspired by this community , so insightful and passionate about their cars. Would love to get the car back to its original glory (with a little extra :naughty: )

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Holy smokes that thing is a cream puff!

Dbarry
Car: Nissan 240SX

That is totally neat man, nice find!

Mikey1989

Thanks guys, just dusting off the piggybank for the upcoming spending spree. :ohno:

Dorito_Club7
Car: 1995 Forest Green S14. Bone Stock

Amazing work, I wish my build was so easy!

Dimitri
Car: 1990 240SX Red Hatchback-
Oui c'est un 240sx et non ce n'est pas à vendre

Hi there. Nice to see meet another "stubborn" 240sx owner with an original, instead of another "build".
Don't be too disappointed if the kids don't want to get involved :)
The biggest problem is going to be ....plastics and rubber and leaks.
Since it's been sitting for so long.

Check the fuel lines coming out of the tank, - there is an access port from the hatch - and into the engine compartments. Especially the one you can't see under the fuel filter. They get soft, so don't wait until there is a gas puddle under your tank :) Replace them along with the fuel filter.
As far as suspension goes, I replaced shocks and struts around 100K with KYB and didn't notice a difference.
Replacing inner and outer tie rods though brought back a nice solid steering wheel feel.
And don't forget to throw some wax on the clearcoat !

Enjoy !

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Hello and welcome!!

Boosted the stock single slammer? Anything else done?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”