Hello :)

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Oddball

Hello all, I am new here and thought i would make a post.  I am getting a 720 datsun king cab 4x4 from a friend.  I never had thought about getting it but for the price i decided to make it a project :).  Truck needs the new engine needs finishing the installing of its parts and all parts are there from what he says, most are new parts.  I am not sure what motor size it is off hand but the new motor has 8 plugs i guess and is supposto be the big boy of 4 cyl.  It has 2 trannys.  The one in vehicle i guess works but sticks hard in 3 gear and has issues.  The other one is bad too, so i need to have it rebuilt or rebuild it myself/find a new transmission... I sort of am getting the truck to help my friend out so i am a noob at these trucks and i am not sure how much to expect sinking into this truck to get it running.. ie: parts availiblity and such.

I will be getting the truck delivered to my house this weekend, body is almost perfect shape for early 80 model truck.  I will post year of truck and other things about it later when i find out for sure what i got hehe.  I will put a pic on here too if i figure out how to do that? 

Nice to be here, and I look forward to chatting with u all in future.  God bless!

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome oddball!! :cool:

Hope to see pics of your ride. I like pics! :D 

Oddball

Thank you :)

I had put some photos under the first section of datsun pickup lovers before the 320 section if u want to look at my truck... actually i guess my stepson thinks its his now hehe.  I will take some pictures of the engine and such as progresses.  As of now i just got the starter put on the engine.  I need to put th other items on and put the intake and exhaust on.  Guy that had truck had it in a fairly good area but the engine was not covered very well.  I have it covered now, and i am going to gamble that the engine is ok and not pull it and tear it all apart.  My mech friend said i should be ok, but there is a risk.  I guess i will have to flush it out pretty good after fire up. 

This truck is sort of a learning project for me and my son :).  I hope it goes well and with the work he puts into it makes him appreciate his truck more than if he bought one or was given one :).  I guess i am old school and believe that things mean more to you when you put work into them :)

regularjj55

Depends how lucky you are finding parts from another partstruck or junkyard and what model you use. The 1980 model uses the old L series engine and isnt interchangable with any of the other 720 models, so if you got that I would ditch it.

If you cant find certain parts or your mechanic is too stupid, the Nissan dealership will rape your wallet then ask for seconds. Ive sunk at least 3 grand into this last truck when at the start I thought I had everything I needed, then the tranny broke down last week so Im still looking at more.

Return to “Datsun 720”