Hello from Australia I love my 720 BUT.......

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Dolph
Car: 720 Ute 1983

Hey Gang I love my 720 But the carby Pisses me off.

I was wondering if anyone has a carby diagram so i can operate on it soon.The car goes good then it seems like the carby gets blocked then i have to pull up pop the hood and swap lead 2 and lead 3 around start her up backfire the crap out of it then swap the leads back and off I go again.

Problem is its random some times i get good smooth driving for weeks sometimes for 5 mins. i am about to open her up and do a proper clean out.Here is the old girl she only got 130,000 ks on her but 20 years of rust

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome to the forum! What year and what engine? Just want to make sure you get the correct advice.

Pics of the carb will help too BTW.

Dolph

Ahhh thank you phlebmaster

Ok its a Datsun 720 one tonne ute manufactured 1983it has a 1.8L motor Petrol and is stock standard

here are carbie pictures as well

Im not sure about weather these cars are Insane or not but my car can go off the clock very easily but at 160+ Klms she handles like a Boat : )Oh in Australia we have areas where you are aloud to go a bit faster than normal im not a hoon.

Thank you in advance everyone for helping

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

holy crap... i didn't know these things came with a 1.8L

alientravler
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 4x4

Maybe try cleaning the butter fly valve and throat of the carb?? Looks like it could use it. :o) J.T.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

You americano's got the good stuff. This is the engine in mine.

Its a J16. runs good but not much power.

Dolph

Here is the current fix i use to alleviate the carby problem.

Apparently the carby doesnt have regular jets for low to medium speed they have a series of tunnels that allow just the right amount of juice thru

But once s*** gets built up in these tunnels the juice is restricted and the car runns like a hairy dog with a backpassage block.

So to fix it I simply pop the hood and swap the spark plug leads aroundso cylinder 2 is swapped with cylinder 3 then i start it up and rev it till it backfires sometimes im so pissed off with the carby i play a little gameHOW MANY BACKFIRES UNTIL THE ENGINE REDLINES hahah i got up to 9

but then swap plugs back and she runs like new again some times for weeks sometimes just for 5 mins.

Was thinking about running 100% alchohol thru the tank and seeing if this cleans it out or last resort pull carby down but ill probably f*** that up so thats why i need diagrams or manuals or something else

I dont want to pay the 350$ at the mechanic cos the ute is only worth 600$

Thanks if you can help in anyway

Dolph

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Easier to solve than filling the tank. As there is no return line, use a 1 gallon container filled with alcohol, but first use some carburetor spray to loosen the gunk. if this does not work remove the carb and soak the whole thing in the alcohol overnight. Do not - I repeat - DO NOT BACKFIRE WHILST USING ALCOHOL. You will have a fire for sure.

Return to “Datsun 720”