Hello, Everybody! New Guy Here!

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Nissan Guy 808
Car: 1989 Nissan Hardbody 2.4L 2wd 5speed Manuel

Aloha!

I was trying to find where is retard/zero/advance placement for a distributor on a 1989 Nissan Hardbody 2.4L 2wd 5speed Naps-Z engine.

Stupid me forgot to snap a picture before removing said distributor. And now, I can't start the engine without the proper timing. Good job me. Sigh...

Before you guys chime in. I do have it 0° on the crankshaft and at cylinder #1 in distributor. I know that some advice was told too me that one way was retard; another was advance. Which way was what? I don't know???

Many Thanks In Advance!!!

Mahalo!!!
Wesley

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Assuming the crankshaft is set at TDC - And the distributor rotor is pointing to number one position (wire) on the distributor cap you might want to loosen the hold down bolts on the distributor and slightly rotate the distributor (either direction) and try starting the engine. An armchair guess - The distributor is possibly off a notch- Could also be off 180 degrees. Recheck the firing order and rotation to ensure the wires are on correct. Welcome to the site hopes this helps. Just out of curiosity why was the distributor removed? Could also have a bad timing chain?

Nissan Guy 808

The distributor was pulled because of the the electronic sensor in there was dead. After asking around. And, previously had it down because the fuel pump gave out. My mechanical experience is limited too basic maintenance. So, essentially 1-5 stars; I can do 1 star fix its. This repair freaked me out I didn't want too Screw Up Badly!!!

And, the camshaft wasn't pointed at 12 O'clock more like 1-2 O'clock. Please tell that was alright? And, didn't mess up Big Time?!

Nissan Guy 808

Can you guys tell me which way is too retard and advance on the distributor? Forward to the truck or Back?...

I'm just trying to get the timing marks straight.

Thank You!

Nissan Guy 808

Update:

So, after my dad and nephew came and checked up on me later in the afternoon; My dad reset the timing. My nephew and I found out that the cap was manufactured wrong! The markings was Flipped 180°!? I thought that I had that and Everything Wrong! But, it was the distributor cap!

So, I called my local big box parts store they had 1 cap left. I hope this is the last fix for this sort of simple "nerve racking" repair for me!

whomadewho

At the top of this site you will find - Service manuals - Click on this site - You will find a FREE service manual. Number one on the cap should be towards the 11 -o’clock position. If the rotor is facing toward the 5 o’clock at TDC - distributor is 180 off. Recheck TDC on the crankshaft - Recheck firing order If you are using the same cap chances are the cap is correct. Inspect the inside of the cap - look for cracks- check the coil tower Possibly the rotor isn’t making contact with the tower. CHECK FOR SPARK. Possible the distributor is in correct?

whomadewho

Might also try YouTube to see if a video exists for - Firing order. Distributor rotation. Location of wires on cap?

Nissan Guy 808

Thanks who made who. I did find the service manual and it's downloaded onto my phone.

Update: It started for 2 seconds and then died again on monday. I tried working on it All Day on Monday. But, TDC was about 2 O'clock. I burnt out the starter when it started for the 2 seconds.

I gotta get a new starter tomorrow. As for the old cap I trashed it along with the old distributor. If the weather holds out tomorrow and doesn't rain I'll try again.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”