Hello and Transmission Choice

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Quotacious
Car: Rentals on weekends

Hello, I've planning on being a Versa owner in the near future... I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia... there were a couple on the lot at one of the two local dealerships (haven't been to the other). I have to delay my purchase to the new year (the sport package maybe!), so I'm obviously interested to learn what I can by participating here.

One thing that I've never fully decided on (haven't done any test drives yet) is the transmission.

Quote »When you start your car, wait for the blue thermo icon off before you start driving. That's when you car is at optimal temp to operate. The car is computer control so temperature and other conditions will be calculated to make the engine work best.The SL with CVT is even more sensitive to these conditions. You have to pay more attention or your tranny will break sooner.[/quote]Now, that quote is from another thread here that I didn't want to hijack... but it does seem to be a question that hasn't been fully answered in detail - mostly because it's personal preference after test drives, of course...

What is the optimal transmission choice?

CVT+ Great on gas+ Low RPMs and thus noise- Is it really not as fun as the 6 MT? I know that's subjective of course, so that's mostly the focus of this topic. - More expensive repairs? Less repair shop options? I was warned to stay away from it because it's not something you see often.

4 AT Booo!

6 MT+ Mostly great on gas, entirely up to the driver+ RPMs and noise? Up to the driver + Cheapest! - Can be tiresome

So folks, what transmission did you, would you, pick? If you did get a CVT, was it because you don't like manual transmissions or did you pick it over the manual? Why?

Cheers,...Donovan

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

Buying a standard was out of the question. I spent the first 15 years of my driving life with a standard. I'm 47 now and just won't do it. It's not fun anymore!

It didn't matter whether I bought a Vibe, Versa, Civic, Sentra or Caliber - it HAD to be an automatic.

However, I will never buy another new car that does NOT have CVT in it. It is FANTASTIC!

Jemdawg
Car: Super Black Nissan Versa 1.8SL Hatchback

CVT all the way. Nissan has been using it for awhile, and you just have to go to them when you need fluid for it, otherwise, the motor is the same; so no worries.

proxim2020

Hello fellow Haligonian . My wife's from Halifax, so that's the only reason I know that.

Preference, Preference, Preference. That's all that really matters at the end of the day. By creating the list, you're already halfway to making your final decision. Find the features that are most important and choose that tranny. Some people (myself included) enjoy the challenge of a manual. Some like the ease of use for the automatic. You can't go on other people's opinions because everyone's different.

I went from an manual (my first car) to an auto (my truck). I really wanted a manual, but only the auto was available in the color I wanted. For a while I enjoyed the freedom of not having to worry about gears, but after about a 1 or 2 years I was missing my manual. I really didn't enjoy the delay when accelerating and not being able to select the gear I wanted.

The moral of the story: Buy what you like and enjoy it.

Cowboys Fan 87

I too grew up only driving a stick and mostly had to give them up becuase my wife can't drive one and we swap vehicles at various days of the week when she has a commute longer that I do.

As for the CVT, it takes a little getting used to, but once you do its not bad. I really didn't like it at first, but now I see what the fuss is about. You get almost as good gas mileage with the CVT as you do with a stick, but you get the ease of use like an Auto without the jerky gear change.

The only thing I still don't like about the CVT is when I'm pulling out onto the hwy (55mph speed limit) from a dead stop, I make sure to give a lot more room than I would if I were in a 6 speed, or my wifes SUV. The reason, on my car anyway, there is a 1/4 to 1/2 second or so, I'll call it a hesitation, from when you step on the gas and the RPM's get you up to about 40MPH. It's worse if the car is loaded. It's like the car says "Oh you REALLY want me to push it up!" before it actually does it.

Other than that one little thing, I like the CVT now that I have figured out how to use it properly. It's quiet and smooth. I've had my Versa up to 110 MPH the car did it very well (39-4200 RPMS)....I had to change shorts, but that's a different story.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

I got the CVT, after about 750,000 miles of driving nothing but sticks. I actually went in looking for a manual, but seeing that the CVT was rated higher in mpg and reading here about the problems with the manual, I decided it was time to opt for comfort. I still have the Probe and it's definitely peppier, but I have no complaints about the pickup on the Versa. I knew it wasn't a sportscar when I bought it!

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

hey i just had a quick question, how does the fit5spd compare to the versa's 6spd?

the 6spd gears are tuned for city driving, on the highway its out of breath unlike the CVT. And the manual has a feature that hypermilers use called bump starting (clutch starting the car without twisting the key) which allows you to restart the engine with the use of momentum from the wheels. If your battery dies on you one day (left the lights on?) a bump start may save you a jump start oh and A **** LOAD OF gas if your willing like me

MIdnkight-lude

philmcneal wrote:hey i just had a quick question, how does the fit5spd compare to the versa's 6spd?

the 6spd gears are tuned for city driving, on the highway its out of breath unlike the CVT. And the manual has a feature that hypermilers use called bump starting (clutch starting the car without twisting the key) which allows you to restart the engine with the use of momentum from the wheels. If your battery dies on you one day (left the lights on?) a bump start may save you a jump start oh and A **** LOAD OF gas if your willing like me
maybe it because my versa hasnt been broken in yet.

But here some different i notice.The fit gear box is easier to move the shifter, it doesnt feel like you have to force it. The car has a lil but more pep throught the gears, but i figure that on account that it is 300 pounds lighter. the highway speed vs RPM is roughly the same.

On the versa, first gear is soo much easier to drive. and i love just shifting into 6th. haha i have no idea why.

proxim2020

philmcneal wrote:hey i just had a quick question, how does the fit5spd compare to the versa's 6spd?

Coooool. I did not know that. I could have used that years back..lol.

RetiredTexans

We bought the 4AT flavor in part for some of your pros and cons. This is our experience over 2k+ miles.

Overall mileage is 31+ mpg at about 50% city / 50% highway. We live north of Dallas. Top mileage has been about 40 mpg all highway. The passing power at 65 mph is sufficfient; I just won't push it on a tight passing situation. Shift points are virtually undetectable unless under hard acceleration.

I wouldn't count out this transmission as my research shows has been in use for awhile.

Good Luck!

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

MIdnkight-lude wrote:
maybe it because my versa hasnt been broken in yet.

But here some different i notice.The fit gear box is easier to move the shifter, it doesnt feel like you have to force it. The car has a lil but more pep throught the gears, but i figure that on account that it is 300 pounds lighter. the highway speed vs RPM is roughly the same.

On the versa, first gear is soo much easier to drive. and i love just shifting into 6th. haha i have no idea why.
I never feel like I have to force my V's transmission. It does click when the shifter is moved into the gear position, which I actually like... it's a very positive "I am in gear now" thing. Way less vague than most manual trannies.

And yes, 1st is really easy to drive in, even in horrible stop and go traffic like what I'm about to go jump in right now.

Link3
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL HB (CVT) Onyx Blue

I wanted and went for the CVT - so that meant getting an SL model. I like the smoothness, the fuel mileage ratings (as you already stated - are as good as the manual for the Versa), and it is very quiet.

MIdnkight-lude

Ever Victorious wrote:I never feel like I have to force my V's transmission. It does click when the shifter is moved into the gear position, which I actually like... it's a very positive "I am in gear now" thing. Way less vague than most manual trannies.

And yes, 1st is really easy to drive in, even in horrible stop and go traffic like what I'm about to go jump in right now.
haha; for me, that click make me seem like i have to force it a little more then my sister Fit. I am saying that a different i felt. But truth be told, i like it that way also.

Return to “Versa General Chat”